PDA

View Full Version : Berkley NanoFil line for ice fishing?

Geezle
11-08-2011, 08:07 AM
So I know this stuff just came out this year, but I'm wondering how it's held up so far for anybody who's used it in the open water season, and how you think it'd hold up for the hardwater.

This year instead of dealing with coiling frozen mono, I decided that I was going to give a light braid a shot, but when I went down to CT (closest at the time) they didn't have any light braids that interested me, so I grabbed a spool of 6lb NanoFil to try on my trout/perch rods.

I read that it's mainly designed to increase casting distance with spinning rods, but with the super low diameter I figure it should make a good light line for the little fish while I'm waiting for Wab to get enough ice to be safe :)

amk
11-08-2011, 10:18 AM
For its intended usage I dislike it. It's white - very noticeable and requires a leader. Knot strength is problematic. Constant bird nests (might be the reel to blame). Do not do ice fishing - have nothing to say.

JSMPP
11-08-2011, 07:04 PM
I tried nanofil in the summer and really liked it, use the knot they recommend and you wont have any issues. All of my ice fishing rods have braid on it since about 2 years ago, no complaints, tying on a swivle and a leader is much less of a hassle than dealing with line memory on the small spools. Make sure you tape your arbour knot to the spool though or you will be hand lining all of your fish while the line spins on your spool.

1bluZebec
11-18-2011, 08:45 PM
I used it for the last half of fishing season and agree that it is way to noticeable and white. it has the best cast of any line I've ever used and is very durable. Way to noticeable for trout but great for pike. Give it a try and see. as soon as I changed spools with different(mono with flouro) line I got way more bites and fish:-)

chubbdarter
11-18-2011, 08:52 PM
used it on my slipbobber outfit...very impressed
Warden tryed it and went back to berkley mono