PDA

View Full Version : Any coin collectors out there??

molly
11-09-2011, 01:54 PM
Hi!

My Mom was rummaging around and gave me several coins, mostly Royal Canadian Mint stuff. I was at Hall's Auctions to drop off a pearl necklace and they advised me to try and sell privately or go to Albern Coins in Calgary. Has anyone tried to sell coins? I have no idea as to their value, mabe it would just be silver content...Thanks!!:)

Gust
11-09-2011, 02:16 PM
Hi!

My Mom was rummaging around and gave me several coins, mostly Royal Canadian Mint stuff. I was at Hall's Auctions to drop off a pearl necklace and they advised me to try and sell privately or go to Albern Coins in Calgary. Has anyone tried to sell coins? I have no idea as to their value, mabe it would just be silver content...Thanks!!:)

If you are getting an appraisal, say that "I'm looking for an appraisal for insurance reasons", don't go in asking to sell as the sell price will be a quarter of the appraisal.

Sneeze
11-09-2011, 02:34 PM
Post up what coins you have. Most Canadian Mint runs have pretty standard pricing as long as they are in the plastic covers they came in.

molly
11-09-2011, 02:57 PM
Well, I have an uncirculated coin set from the Centennial (1967). And 2 x 1979 silver dollars; 2 x 1974 $5.00 Olympic coins; 2002 Jubilee proof dollar; 2 x 1974 $10.00 Olympic coins and a 1967 JFK half dollar. And 2 x Calgary Stampede 50 cent pieces... I am sure I am not sitting on untold wealth but I don't want to get ripped off either!!:) If I knew what to ask, I would repost this on the Buy and Sell Forum!

ORV
11-09-2011, 02:57 PM
i took some old quarters & silver bars to alberns a couple of
years ago. they were just sitting around anyway.
they paid me for the silver content.
all was good until the following jan. when they sent me a t5 (i think)
i had to claim the money as income on my tax form.
it wasn,t a ton of cash but still ticked me off.
glad it wasn,t a couple grand for sure.

orv.

Sneeze
11-09-2011, 03:15 PM
Well, I have an uncirculated coin set from the Centennial (1967). And 2 x 1979 silver dollars; 2 x 1974 $5.00 Olympic coins; 2002 Jubilee proof dollar; 2 x 1974 $10.00 Olympic coins and a 1967 JFK half dollar. And 2 x Calgary Stampede 50 cent pieces... I am sure I am not sitting on untold wealth but I don't want to get ripped off either!!:) If I knew what to ask, I would repost this on the Buy and Sell Forum!

Great collection... I would strongly consider keeping them!

The 1979 Silver Dollars if they are not a special edition are not actually silver. They are 100% nickel with a marginal market value.

The 2002 Jubilee would be .999 silver and I think they hit market around $35, definately worth more now, I would think probably around fifty bucks.

The $10.00 Olympic coins sold for around $15.00 new, probably worth double that now. I do not think they had any value precious metal content wise.

I am not sure on the JFK or the stampede pieces. I quick google search showed some conflicting information on the Stampede pieces, some say sterling silver others say .999. If its .999 it will be stamped on the coin and have the value of spot silver plus collectors value!

Don't take anything I say to seriously, I am just a coin hobbiest with marginal experience at best. I would still go see a professional if you plan on selling the coins!

Hunter65
11-09-2011, 07:58 PM
Keep them. I started buying coins a few years ago, just ones that caught my eye. I have a small collection, and every now and them I'll drop in to the coin shop in WEM and snoop around. I'm not a big coin collector, but it's kinda neat. Something to give the kids someday. Bought them each a coin set of their birth year.

Boss442
11-09-2011, 08:02 PM
Another good place to check is Ebay!

slingshotz
11-09-2011, 10:57 PM
The 1967 centennial coins and bills are pretty much worth either the face value or the silver content value. Everyone back then thought it was a good idea to collect them as they thought it would be rare but as a result everyone seems to have them in their collection. They are still neat to have in my opinion for sentimental value. Not too sure about the other coins.

Grizzly Adams
11-10-2011, 07:41 AM
I'd just keep em and enjoy them. Kennedy half dollar has some history to it, but mints crank these things out in the gazillions, with the collector's market in mind. Son's father in law must have been a compulsive stamp collector. :lol: Several suitcases full of first day covers and commemaritive issues from various post offices. Very few even worth the face value , after 20 years.

Grizz

Freedom55
11-10-2011, 08:49 AM
Just a little information that I hope helps.

My father gave me a strong box with about $1200.00 (face value) worth of pre1964 Canadian coins, from nickles to dollars, as a gift before he moved into a home. I had planned to sell them so I did a little research.

A good friend was the president of the Calgary Numismatic Society and gave me the lowdown. Bear in mind that silver was trading at about $7.00 per ounce at the time. .999silver, not coin grade.

Dealers were paying approx. 4X face value for bulk coin purchases. The dealer then goes through the collection to find any rare pieces that could fetch large prices for the rarity value. The rest are melted and the silver separated from the alloys. The silver is then processed and reused for such things as electronics and electro-plating. I cannot say if this number has changed now that silver is trading above $15.00

Certain rare coins can fetch great prices. For example. A 1949 CDN silver dollar in uncirculated condition will bring over $7000.00. The same coin in "good" condition will bring $2000.00. The same coin with the features worn down to a ghostly image might be worth a couple of hundred. Condition is everything.

If you have any awareness of the rare pieces that can be found, then sort them out and look for a place to sell them.

One of the exceptions to the rule of rare coins is this; as our parents become elderly, these coin collections begin to surface all over the country. Coins that were considered rare in 2006 (when I did my reasearch) begin to surface and lo and behold, they are not so rare any more! Prices can drop. On the other hand, some coins will increase in value due to some other collectable notion that the coin guys invent. I have been told that the emblem on the canoe on the dollar will soon determine the value of, again, pre 1964 Canadian silver dollars, so who knows. Currently it is the shape of the wave at the front of the canoe, and in some cases the feathers in the paddlers head band that separates the rare bits from the common. Tons of fun finding out about these things and then actually locating one or two in your collection that hold some real value.

The thing with sets issued from the mint is, as mentioned, that there are many thousands of sets minted so there is nothing rare about any of them. Only coins with errors on them (as in mis-struck and then circulated etc) will eventually hold some value to a collector, most of whom are themselves rare bits.

One last thing. I have a collection of old nickles that numbers in the hundreds. Almost all of them were change from Calgary 7-11 stores. One of those nickles was worth $35.00 in 2006. Keep your eyes open. And I plan to keep my entire box full. At the very least, they are worth $1200.00 when the bank closes its doors.

Free

winged1
11-10-2011, 12:22 PM
the rarity is taken from the mint strike numbers. There's an element of supply and demand, but it's the strike count that governs. Evaluations are meaningless. Take the simple example of evaluating any specific coin. If your the owner selling to a collector, it's worth so much, if it's the collector selling to you, it's worth something totally different.

In my early youth, my father would take his paycheck, and him and I would go to the bank where he'd ask for the entire amount in coinage. We'd scour through and retain anything of 'value'. I was honored with the position of custodian upon his passing and have the collection secured in 'trust'.

I've always admired the Canadian strikes and have added to the collection continually.

The suggestion of Ebay is a good one. What you want to do though, is to track similar pieces to see what the sale price was. Asking price is of no value, unless your interested in purchasing.