PDA

View Full Version : ice sled mods?

npauls
11-11-2011, 11:39 PM
I was just looking on some sites and checking out some mods done to ice fishing sleds.

I just bought a frabill ultra lite flip over off of another forum member (Thanks Glen) and have been thinking of things to do to keep all my gear stored while traveling and organized for easy access.

I am going to do the same as my big sled and mount a boat seat to another tough tote but this time the tough tote will be quite a bit small then the one I have set up now. Inside the tote I can store my little buddy heater, flasher with extra battery, tackle boxes, and another little tote that holds all my gulp alive baits, extra gloves, spare auger blades and all that type of stuff.

I am also thinking I will mount some pvc rod racks along both sides so I can have 6 rod combos ready to grab at any time with different hooks on them all.

Another thing I was thinking of doing was making a couple of rod holders off of the front of the sled that can hold the rod over the hole while I am doing whatever else. I think I will probably add a cup holder or 2 also that can be used to hold drinks, bait container, or tools.

I have seen some cool ideas for auger holders so that is another thing that I will be sizing up for this sled but haven't come up with anything that I think will work just yet. I have a few months at least before I will be able to get out and use this rig so I am sure I can come up with a solid idea before its time to test things out.

The last couple things I have thought of are just little things like an ice scoop holder so I know where it is instead of rummaging through the hut trying to find it. I was also thinking of a little framed in area behind the tough tote that will hold the tough tote in place, as well as have an area for a small lunch cooler on one side and a spot to put your flasher or camera on the other while moving from hole to hole.

Lets hear some of your ideas for sled mods and if you have pictures that even better.

npauls
11-12-2011, 09:31 PM
No one has any other ideas for ice fishing sled modifications?

braxxtonn
11-12-2011, 09:45 PM
a big cup holder for that 66 of gibby's??:bad_boys_20:

pikester
11-12-2011, 11:00 PM
Are ya pulling your sled by hand or behind a snowmobile?

npauls
11-12-2011, 11:31 PM
mine will be pulled by hand. I walk out on the ice everywhere I go. That is why I bought an ultra light flip over and am down sizing my tough tote.

I like to keep my gear as organized as possible all the time and found the tough tote to be the best option so far.

I also need a high back seat because of my bad back so the boat seat mounted to the lid is a must for me. If my back could handle it I am sure I could make things very lite but my back throws a wrench into those plans.

ak-71
11-12-2011, 11:38 PM
Try iceshanty.com it has whole threads on this topic

npauls
11-13-2011, 12:25 AM
Ya i have checked that out and read everything I can find on there so far. I am just wondering if there is anything else I can do for mods that people around here have done to make life more comfortable while out on the ice in a lite flip over hut.

I think I have just as much fun thinking up and building new things for my fishing stuff as I do fishing.

Mr.twister
11-13-2011, 05:24 AM
Well i was gonna say iceshanty but o well. Hope ya figure somthin out, theirs lots of ideas floating around.

Kim473
11-13-2011, 06:51 AM
Find a old small snowblower and mount the engine part to it so that you have a self propeled ice shack. Can even mount a seat and you can drive your self.

pikester
11-13-2011, 10:23 AM
Since you're pulling by hand (like me) here is an idea I will be trying this winter; attaching skis to the bottom. I know it's not as sexy as tricking out your sled, but you know how heavy it gets once you've put all your crap in it -ultralight or not- lol. Almost everyone knows someone who has old downhill or cross country skis buried in their garage, never to be used again. I found some kids sized skis about 4' long that should work perfect for my sled. Don't think it would work on a vehicle pulled sled because of tracking issues; sled might end up going a different direction! I think it should ease the strain on the shoulders & legs while hoofing it though.

npauls
11-13-2011, 02:04 PM
Since you're pulling by hand (like me) here is an idea I will be trying this winter; attaching skis to the bottom. I know it's not as sexy as tricking out your sled, but you know how heavy it gets once you've put all your crap in it -ultralight or not- lol. Almost everyone knows someone who has old downhill or cross country skis buried in their garage, never to be used again. I found some kids sized skis about 4' long that should work perfect for my sled. Don't think it would work on a vehicle pulled sled because of tracking issues; sled might end up going a different direction! I think it should ease the strain on the shoulders & legs while hoofing it though.

I did this last season with my clam kenai sled. It was terrible in the snow and I needed a way to make it nice to pull by hand. I found an ad. on kijiji in the city that had a person giving away 6 sets of cross country skis. They are super lite and you you just cut off the excess after they are mounted on the sled. I still have 5 or 6 pairs sitting in the garage for anyone that needs a pair.

This new sled slides very easy so I don't think I will need skis on it but if I find I am having trouble I can quickly screw a pair onto it with out to much hassle.

Hopefully in the next week or 2 I can get all the mods done on my sled and take a few pictures for people to see. I am hoping it turns out as good as the pictures in my head.

huntsfurfish
11-13-2011, 04:05 PM
Nate add a large bolt in - eye for the back of your sled. It will come in handy.

That way I can connect my sled to yours and you can pull em both out.

mush:):lol:

npauls
11-13-2011, 07:46 PM
Nate add a large bolt in - eye for the back of your sled. It will come in handy.

That way I can connect my sled to yours and you can pull em both out.

mush:):lol:

I think the ultra lite that I bought is your old one.

I think if anyone is towing someone else on the ice it will be someone towing me. I feel like a senior citizen these days. I will be out there with a cane in one hand, a towing harness hooked to my sled, and a life alert beeper in the other hand.

huntsfurfish
11-14-2011, 07:41 AM
"I think the ultra lite that I bought is your old one." quote

Yup.

You can do the towing when you are feeling better.:)

npauls
11-17-2011, 09:40 PM
Well I thought I had a good idea planned out but the cooler I was going to use to store everything in is to small so I am back to square one to find that perfect size tough tote or cooler to start the project with.

After I find that I can then start figuring out where I want everything else to be mounted.

Hunter Trav
11-18-2011, 02:21 PM
Here try this site, not sure what you'll find, but you never know...

http://www.hotspotoutdoors.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/forums/30/1/Ice_Fishing

Hope you find what your looking for. Myself, I couldn't be bothered to pull by hand, except right now when there isn't enough ice for my snowmobile... :D

fish-slaughter
11-19-2011, 12:00 PM
hows the grommets where you mount you pull string sometimes if your loading your sled up with all you gear it can get heavy and then the grommets pull out. Sometimes its a good idea to reinforce them!!

npauls
11-19-2011, 05:26 PM
hows the grommets where you mount you pull string sometimes if your loading your sled up with all you gear it can get heavy and then the grommets pull out. Sometimes its a good idea to reinforce them!!

Great minds think alike. :)

I bought some eye bolts and will be bolting them through the original holes into some wood or aluminum. I am doing this so that it won't rip out of the plastic and also so I can add some carribeaner type clips to the rope. I will be making the rope longer then the original and have a small float on one end. This will serve as the tow rope and if I ever have someone fall through I can quickly unclip the rope and use it to try and help pull them onto the ice.

horsetrader
11-19-2011, 09:55 PM
Great minds think alike. :)

I bought some eye bolts and will be bolting them through the original holes into some wood or aluminum. I am doing this so that it won't rip out of the plastic and also so I can add some carribeaner type clips to the rope. I will be making the rope longer then the original and have a small float on one end. This will serve as the tow rope and if I ever have someone fall through I can quickly unclip the rope and use it to try and help pull them onto the ice.

Good idea think I will steal your idea and do it on my recon.

thanks Nate.

npauls
11-19-2011, 10:01 PM
Good idea think I will steal your idea and do it on my recon.

thanks Nate.

No problem.

Hopefully it never has to be used for a rescue but if it does then I would rather see someone prepared and ready to help instead of being helpless and watch some perish right in front of them.

I decided to make this thread so that everyone can share ideas that they have used to make things a little nicer for their days out on the ice.

I picked up a milk crate from my parents place last night and mounted 4 pieces of pvc pipe for holding rod combos in it. I can also carry my small tackle box, ice scoop, flasher, spare battery for the flasher and a spare battery for the drill, a tub or 2 of bait, and a small container with all my jars of gulp baits. I decided to make it for days when I don't want to take out my flip over and decide to just use my small calf sled. I just like to be organized when I am out fishing.

tara_13
11-20-2011, 11:37 AM
Since I am slowly retrieving some gear for the winter...

Im going to make my own sled. We have some left over metal from putting a new roof over the house a yr. ago. And some heavy, ( not overly hearvy) boxes that I'll seperate to smaller cubbies. And then I'll see how the rest is coming along and go from there. Im not in a big hurry, Im waiting on Santa to bring me a large boys 1 piece snow suit to really keep my warm. I have a stove, so I wanna make my stove to fit compfy on top with side panels from the metal for the wind...

As far as shelter, ask WayneChristie.. LOL

DustDee
11-20-2011, 01:48 PM
This ain't really a big mod, but I like to wax the bottom of my sled before I head out on the ice. It slides much nicer and the snow doesn't stick to it. All that talk about putting skis on the bottom; I figured I'd add in the wax trick. I usually just use paraffin wax from the canning section of the store.

npauls
11-20-2011, 03:20 PM
Since I am slowly retrieving some gear for the winter...

Im going to make my own sled. We have some left over metal from putting a new roof over the house a yr. ago. And some heavy, ( not overly hearvy) boxes that I'll seperate to smaller cubbies. And then I'll see how the rest is coming along and go from there. Im not in a big hurry, Im waiting on Santa to bring me a large boys 1 piece snow suit to really keep my warm. I have a stove, so I wanna make my stove to fit compfy on top with side panels from the metal for the wind...

As far as shelter, ask WayneChristie.. LOL

If you are building a sled check out iceshanty.com and under the picture section there is a thread of just sleds people have made. There is a ton of cool things people have thought of and may help you with your build.

For hut I am just going to use the flip over frabill I bought when I am alone or with someone else that has the same. If I am with friends or family without anything I am going to be picking up a hub style hut just because it is light and easy to pack. If my back wasn't a mess I would get a 2-3 man flip over but I can't load or tow it anymore. I built a home made fold down hut with my father a few year ago that works really well but is kind of heavy so I am thinking I will sell that to help fund the purchase of the hub style hut. Maybe get a 6 man one if I can get enough money together.