PDA

View Full Version : wabumun open water all year?

Itsmyfishingshow
11-12-2011, 06:53 PM
My teacher once told me he went water skiing in January in wabuman because a hot water dump that kept the ice off. Does this still happen? Am I crazy for wanting to launch a belly boat out there?

pickrel pat
11-12-2011, 07:12 PM
hard to tell off a single post, but i think you may be sane........ water skiing in a circle cant be that fun, but atleast you can say "I went waterskiing in alberta in january!":) yes, open water in jan....

hockey1099
11-12-2011, 07:16 PM
Not anymore. Two years ago? Yes. After they closed the plant on the lake everything freezes over. Search the forum you will see pics of guys fishing from boats for huge pike in mid winter.

pickrel pat
11-12-2011, 07:31 PM
Not anymore. Two years ago? Yes. After they closed the plant on the lake everything freezes over. Search the forum you will see pics of guys fishing from boats for huge pike in mid winter.

good to know..... havnt been there since the 90's....

tonyflyfish
11-13-2011, 08:09 PM
since the spill the water freezes early as it has been chemically altered.
I wouldn't look at the water never mind touch it.
feel bad for the fish.
they netted Lac Isle and dumped them in Wabamun and claimed the pop rebuilt itself.
love the conservatives-commerce can do whatever they want.

tony

hockey1099
11-13-2011, 08:24 PM
feel bad for the fish.
they netted Lac Isle and dumped them in Wabamun and claimed the pop rebuilt itself.

tony

Got any evidence to back up the chenically altered part?

I had my boat on there last year on November 11. I have not noticed Wab either freezing or staying open any longer than usual. The lake definately freezes quicker than it has in the past but thats becuase there is much less hot water being dumped into it after they closed the power plant.

And they did dump a bunch of walleye from Isle Lake into wab last year. SRD is pretty open about that. I have never heard anyone say the walleye population rebuilt itself.

FishingFrenzy
11-13-2011, 08:32 PM
feel bad for the fish.

tony

HAHAHAHA, Zip up your flameproof suit....this should be good.

Snap Shot
11-13-2011, 09:29 PM
feel bad for the fish.

tony

What a joke.!!!

Itsmyfishingshow
11-13-2011, 09:36 PM
HAHAHAHA, Zip up your flameproof suit....this should be good.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f328/Rossie94/FLAMEWAR.jpg

Doc
11-14-2011, 07:08 AM
feel bad for the fish.

tony

Where do you get this stuff?

The Wabamun power plant used to draw cold water from the lake to cool it's generators and push warm water back into the lake. This used to leave an area near the towns site with open water all year round. The power plant is now gone so the lake freezes over just like any other lake.

Say Goodbye To Winter Wab Pike On The Fly (http://docshouseofblog.blogspot.com/2010/02/say-goodbye-to-winter-pike-on-fly.html)

mooseknuckle
11-14-2011, 10:26 AM
feel bad for the fish.

tony

LOL I think your chemically altered!!

TrophyPikeHunter
11-14-2011, 04:37 PM
feel bad for the fish.

tony

Yeah, really have to disagree with this...the pike in Wab appear to be very healthy. Can't say what's going on beneath their skin but with the exception of the ones we've caught near the town boat launch, these are some the healthiest looking pike buddy and I have caught in the Edmonton area...

Mr.twister
11-14-2011, 04:57 PM
My uncle helps with spill clean ups, he told he helped clean the water in wab when the spill happened. He tells me the water is actually very clean now and the fish are healthy, his wife works for the environmental side of the government and she test and moniters the water and she to tells me its clean. And myself after catching the pike from wab can believe that!! those fish are good lookin.

tonyflyfish
11-14-2011, 05:15 PM
relax! eat the fish and drink the water if you want. I am not talking about the power plant I am talking about the wood preservative CN spilled in there.
Chemically it is arsenic.
Get as defensive as you want but personally I would not eat the fish, drink the water or waste my time on that body of water. To each his own-check property values since the spill.

mooseknuckle
11-14-2011, 05:28 PM
relax! eat the fish and drink the water if you want. I am not talking about the power plant I am talking about the wood preservative CN spilled in there.
Get as defensive as you want but personally I would not eat the fish, drink the water or waste my time on that body of water. To each his own-check property values since the spill.

It's c&r only! Who would drink water from any lake? And a 900 sq cabin lake front $700,000!!

Not being defensive, I've just done a little more research than you.

Stewie
11-14-2011, 05:31 PM
feel bad for the fish.

tony

By any chance were you drinking the water from there...? :bad_boys_20:

The power plant was the reason the water was open... last year was the last year it will be open all year...

hockey1099
11-14-2011, 07:44 PM

Property values have gone up since 2005. They went down in the realestate crash but they are still higher than they were in 2005.

CN did spill a nasty chenical into this lake but it appears to have recovered well. Calling and Pigeon have water warnings every year i havent heard of one on wab in the last 3-4 years.

I wouldnt drink the water from any lake in alberta.

I do agree with you that people shouldnt waste their time at Wab. I hope every member of this board avoids the lake and tells their friends and family to do so as well. As a favour to the rest on here ill keep wasting my time their catching monster pike and will advise people when the lake is no longer a waste of time.

mudbug
11-14-2011, 07:49 PM

Don't eat the fish, it's a catch and release lake only for right now :)

ice
11-16-2011, 09:42 AM
Lol, health Canada has already pulled the consumption ban on wab. The fish are all deemed safe for human consumption, the only reason it's c n r is because the pike are havin a hard time reproducing, wab is fine, there is no chemical alteration.. And if anything, and there was an alteration, it would take the lake longer to freeze... Not shorter, especially with a chemical preservative.... The bulk of that spill was oil, and bunker (a thick ship fuel)