PDA

View Full Version : bears paw access soon to be closed

the local angler
11-13-2011, 06:21 PM
did anyone else see this on the news? the access that users like fisherman, dog owners and such are going to be denied access to the bearspaw area according to CP rail. they are putting up some huge fence from the stoney trail bridge area to where people cross at the two parking lot areas. something about public safety and having too many close calls with the trains. so many people are upset about this including me. the cost of this so called fence is split between the CP rail and the city of calgary. what a bleeping joke.

commieboy
11-13-2011, 06:57 PM
did anyone else see this on the news? the access that users like fisherman, dog owners and such are going to be denied access to the bearspaw area according to CP rail. they are putting up some huge fence from the stoney trail bridge area to where people cross at the two parking lot areas. something about public safety and having too many close calls with the trains. so many people are upset about this including me. the cost of this so called fence is split between the CP rail and the city of calgary. what a bleeping joke.

Fence is already up, I think, unless I'm thinking of a different area. A couple of years ago I used to park by the tracks (near the soccer dome) and walk up the paved road. Big fence there now.

Yeah, I'm not too happy with it either, but I'll leave off judgement until I find out more about the reasoning behind it. Too bad, though. I wanted to canoe that stretch.

BeeGuy
11-13-2011, 07:39 PM
The rally was tonight. Decent turnout. Police in attendance.

The fence across the roadway has been there for a few years, the NEW fence they are installing is not yet up. There are concrete blocks barricading the old parking lots, and the site is well posted.

There are 2 threads on this subject in the general discussion forum.

join the facebook group. There will be meetings in Bowness regarding this issue in the next few months.

the local angler
11-13-2011, 08:45 PM
thanks beeguy unfortunately i am a day late and a penny short on this issue. i didn't know this issue was long in the works already and found out too late about the rally.

BeeGuy
11-13-2011, 08:50 PM
No worries, it came together rather quickly, and it will be an ongoing issue.

Stay tuned.

slivers86
11-13-2011, 10:19 PM
I think if they believe it must be fenced, they should put up a swing gate, with clear labels warning the general public of the risk, and that they are crossing at there own risk, meaning you have to push the gate open, to walk through it. This would make the company no longer liable for any misfortune you may encounter while on the property. Its not the 'keep it open' solution people are obviously looking for, but its a way to meet half way. I've seen similar things done in BC.

BeeGuy
11-13-2011, 10:24 PM
I think if they believe it must be fenced, they should put up a swing gate, with clear labels warning the general public of the risk, and that they are crossing at there own risk, meaning you have to push the gate open, to walk through it. This would make the company no longer liable for any misfortune you may encounter while on the property. Its not the 'keep it open' solution people are obviously looking for, but its a way to meet half way. I've seen similar things done in BC.

Come to the next meeting and you can provide that suggestion in a public forum!

slivers86
11-13-2011, 11:53 PM
Come to the next meeting and you can provide that suggestion in a public forum!

Whens the next meeting?

BeeGuy
11-14-2011, 12:02 AM
To be determined...

slivers86
11-14-2011, 12:11 AM
alright, text me when ya know. If I'm off work, I'll try and come down!

the local angler
11-14-2011, 03:34 PM
even with the fencing i don't think its going to deture some people cause down south i have seen this and i don't know who but some people are cutting holes in the fence to get access even though this is not a good idea.just up a bit from the two parking lots there is a cement drain tube that runs underneath both tracks if its dry i can see a crossing point. lol. hopefully i could make the next meeting/ralley.

slivers86
11-14-2011, 11:33 PM
Be very careful. Once no trespassing signs are put up, RCMP/CP Police may enforce this.

PETTY TRESPASS ACT

2(1) Every person who

(a) without the permission of the owner or occupier of land
enters on land when entry is prohibited under section 2.1,
or
(b) does not leave land immediately after he or she is directed
to do so by the owner or occupier of the land or a person
authorized by the owner or occupier
is guilty of an offence.

(2) A person who is guilty of an offence under subsection (1),
whether or not any damage is caused by the contravention, is liable
(a) for a first offence, to a fine not exceeding $2000, and
(b) for a 2nd or subsequent offence in relation

--

wouldn't want the fine.

slingshotz
11-14-2011, 11:43 PM
I work in the security industry and the only thing that cutting the fence will do is give us some business in putting up security cameras to monitor that area. Seen it happen lots of times when there's constant vandalism. It's futile and illegal as mentioned before.

You have to negotiate these access rights unfortunately through proper channels. I am saddened by the loss of that access as I have fond memories in my youth driving almost all the way up to the dam and fishing there. If they have to deal with vandalism and crap, they will never bother to open up negotiations.

Mudslide
11-15-2011, 07:48 AM
OCCUPY BEARSPAW!

Seriously though, we need to hold the Politicians accountable. Let them know that we will remember their names and actively campaign against anyone who voted to allow or will not stand against this confiscation of public access to public land. It's the only way to get their attention.

BeeGuy
11-15-2011, 08:14 AM
OCCUPY BEARSPAW!

Seriously though, we need to hold the Politicians accountable. Let them know that we will remember their names and actively campaign against anyone who voted to allow or will not stand against this confiscation of public access to public land. It's the only way to get their attention.

I was surprised to see that there was police presence at the rally.

Maybe they need another $50 million dollar foot bridge?

Dgirl
11-15-2011, 03:52 PM
Is this park planned by Enmax going to provide access?
I'm not educated enough on the area to really comment.
http://www.calgary.ca/CSPS/Parks/Pages/Construction/Bearspaw-Legacy-Park-development.aspx

dlandry222
11-28-2011, 10:00 PM
Hi everyone, just a quick update on the next ralley. I am trying to set
up something for January.

This is the letter I sent out to Mr Rob Anders; and Prime Minister Stephen Harper,also to CPR - ED Greenburg, the Minister of Transport both rail and marine, no response from any of them as of yet. We do have a petition on Save Access to Bearspaw Dam``òn facebook please feel free to print one

My name is Diane Inkin, I am a Resident of NW Calgary and I am writting to you about my concerns over the erection of a fence at Bearspaw Dam in Calgary to keep the public away from enjoying this beautiful inner city area.

This came to my attention on October 18th,2011 during a newscast with CP railway's' Ed Greenburg and our Alderman Dale Hodges.

I have formed a group called "Save access to Bearspaw for pesdestrian and boater use" on facebook and have 200+ members there and we have an ongoing petition with 300+ signatures. This doesnt include the young people that access the area but are to young to have a voice in this and they still want to be heard as well. We only started a week ago.

In doing some research on the matter, I found that CP Rail is privately owned, however is Federally mandated and controlled which brings me to you. You both live in the area and should be concerned about this, for that reason alone but also because you represent us.

The crossing has many stakeholders involved including the Federal Government, CP Rail, The City of Calgary, Inland concrete and other gravel companies, Transalta Utilities and Alberta Fish and Wildlife.

Under the Navigational Waters Protection Act, governed by the Federal Government, protects the peoples right of access to rivers, lakes and any body of water. With this said `the public has the right to access and the federal Government is mandated by this act to inforce and protect it.``

The 1882 Act also protects citizens rights of access to rivers, lakes, oceans. I`m sure there are so many more, were just starting this.

We would like to have a voice in this matter and were never given public consultation other than a quick blurb on the news. I contacted CP Rail via email a to their community connect, and was told there would be something in our newsletter but there, was not. The fence is in the process.

For how many users access this area, that is unacceptable. You have walkers, dogwalkers, hikers, bikers, boaters, kayakers, cross country skiers, fisher-people, nature lovers, bird watchers and I have only mentioned a few. Not only are we being denied access, but if, as Ed Greenburg stated, by CP Rail extending their yards becomes, in my eyes, an enviromental issue also..There are alot of wildlife the use this corridior for eating, drinking, living and a expandsion would put this at risk and impact it dearly. Not to mention our drinking water. CP Rail hauls alot of dangerous chemicals, so why put them so close to the river to contaiminate it more than it already is. You drink this water too, as does your families.

We the citiziens of Calgary, have had the right to access to this waterbody since it was built in 1954 via crossing CP Rail tracks. In the beginning you could drive right down to the reservior, then CP/Trans Alta/Federal Government put up a gate. But in doing this also provided a makeshift parking lot. There are green bins for garbage and fishing regulations are also posted here which leads me to believe that CP Rail, The City of Calgary, Alberta Fish and Wildlife and the Federal Government are all aware of the popularity of this spot.

As a citizen and a taxpayer it would be my expectation that you OUR representative - would be involved in coming to a resolution to this matter that would please everyone involved.

We `The Access to Bearspaw group`` have came up with a few solutions and would like all the parties involved - the users, the municiple and federal governments, CP Rail, Trans -Alta, Inland concrete, and Alberta Fish and Wildlife to come to some sort of agreement of access, as it is our right.

This could involve a pedestrian walk path with an arm and lights. In doing this you, the Federal Government could inact the Railway Safety Act 1988, to have a Federally approved whistle regulation put in place at that crossing, taking care of another issue that came up at the rally - the horn blowing. Which I might add is not because of the users of the area, but because of a law that the CP trains have to abide by, blowing horns at crossings.

This is possible as it is done at the Canmore pedestrian crossing.

Another suggestion is to build an underpass where currently there is a sewer overflow..I think , thereby allowing users to access under the CP Rail tracks.

The City of Calgary has a storage yard that is large enough to accomadate a gravel parking lot pretty much directly across from Bearspaw Dam Rd.

Another idea that was mentioned was for the City, Trans Alta, the Federal Government and CP Rail, because their the ones causing the problem, but I guess that would fall under the Federal government, to extend Calgary`s wonderful pathway from under Stoney Trail along the river on the Southside of CP Rail tracks. This would then allow By-law, Calgary PD and the City of Calgary, to maintain and control this area better to litterers, people that dont clean up after their pets, graffitee and partiers and most important of all, let us have access.

CP Rail and Federal Government have now made a dangerous situation worse by blocking off the "parking area" with cement barriers, therefore forcing citizens/users of the area to park on the sides of the road to access it. Inland has very large trucks that weigh close to a train accessing their gravel pit, and they are now forced to try and navigate around the users. People are also turning around on the road when they find out they dont have access to the area, placing them infront of those heavy trucks. The new soccer dome down will also become another spot that users will try to park at as they will need ro park somewhere.

So instead of finding a solution, CP Rail and The Federal Government have put the citizens and users at risk, and the truck drivers in a liable situation, by not allowing a place to park safely to access OUR waterways. As I stated earlier, there are alot of stakeholders involved, and it would be a terrible tragedy if someone was to get hurt or die on this road making it a liability to all involved I believe.

Please respond to me on your position via my email dlandry222@hotmail.com . I would be interested on what you plan to do as they are suppose to start the fence immmediately. We will be having a "town-hall" type meeting in the near future and would like for you to attend to have your input.

Thank you for your time and I look forward to hearing from you.
Sincerely,
Diane Inkin

the local angler
11-29-2011, 05:19 PM
right on your letter is very imformative and covers alot of options. well done.