PDA

View Full Version : A Cold Week In Milo

jacenbeers
11-14-2011, 05:42 PM
I checked the weather and it looks like it will be cold in Milo. Hopefully next weekend there is some ice.

Flyfisher87
11-15-2011, 06:39 AM
x2. Mcgregor is on my ice fishing list this winter.

jacenbeers
11-15-2011, 12:42 PM
I got a report that there was no ice yesterday but today it is -2 there and will be -9 overnight. I really want it to be frozen by the weekend.

ak-71
11-15-2011, 12:46 PM
Wouldn't be walkable this weekend, right? I think next Friday may be OK, took a day-off.

Kokanee9
11-15-2011, 12:49 PM
Even if it does freeze by the weekend, I'm not sure I would rush onto the ice right away.

Wouldn't it be better to give it at least another week or two of cold weather after it freezes over?

I just don't understand the big rush to go on the ice as soon as it freezes.

ak-71
11-15-2011, 01:21 PM
Agree, hope 10 days from now worth checking.
If it doesn't feel safe I will drive around a bit just to check places. I know too few acces points for winter for McGregor/Travers. Everybody has it's own view on what a good day off is :)

jacenbeers
11-15-2011, 06:07 PM
Last year we were on at first ice because the whitefish dont spawn forever and we wanted to get there in time for all the schools around the dam. I wouldnt go on the ice if it wasnt safe.

slingshotz
11-15-2011, 06:15 PM
It was about this time last year that I went through the ice at MacGregor so with this weeks cold temps, it should be just enough ice for the whites to be coming into the shallows.

Whichever day it doesn't snow on the weekend, I'll be heading there to check it out. This time I'm thinking of wearing my waders as I test the ice in the shallows :)

Gust
11-15-2011, 06:20 PM
It's funny because they are literally 2 feet out from the wall in 18 inches of water,,, if one could lay some plywood to distribute weight just long enough to punch a hole, you could fish them by sitting on the safety of the wall with a longer rod,,, or wait till the Friday after this one.

Can you get a sheet of ply in your trunk?

ak-71
11-15-2011, 06:49 PM
So, there is ice already?

sir pikealott
11-15-2011, 07:29 PM
Chestermere is froze right over. Been like that for a week. Gonna check the ice depth Saturday after few more days of cold weather. I've found over the years that Chester Slough will ice up before most lakes around here, so it's been a good guide to use. 6" on Chester usually means 2-4" on most other lakes. With this cold, I'm planning a trip out Next Sat 26th. Bringing everything and hope to get on some decent ice and start targeting Jumbo Perch. Maybe get into the Whites too. Hopefully not too much snowfalls, don't want that insulation and slow the ice build up. Be safe out there everyone!

jacenbeers
11-15-2011, 09:28 PM
Are there lake whites in Chestermere?

trapshooter
11-15-2011, 09:32 PM
x2. Mcgregor is on my ice fishing list this winter.

x3

npauls
11-15-2011, 09:38 PM
I think if my back is feeling up to it I might head out with a buddy in search of some monster whites for a few hours. Whether it is from shore or on some ice we will be ready. Hopefully we can post some pictures of what we catch.

He was already on a scouting mission for them today and found them schooling in the shallows pretty good already so I am sure they should be schooled up thick enough to walk on by the weekend.

slingshotz
11-15-2011, 11:29 PM
you could fish them by sitting on the safety of the wall with a longer rod

That is exactly what we do in very early ice. I learned that trick from some fellow AO members and others I've seen during early ice. I have a Spey rod that I want to try out so I'm not as limited by the length of my shorter spin rods.

My other new thing I want to try is to figure out how to break a large enough hole out from shore to sight fish with the fish bow.

ak-71
11-16-2011, 08:12 AM
I was going to get some cheap wood from home depot for the next week to stand on - some people use thair hunting skies for late ice back home, the same idea to spread some weight. Unless I hear that ice is really good

jacenbeers
11-16-2011, 09:19 AM
That is exactly what we do in very early ice. I learned that trick from some fellow AO members and others I've seen during early ice. I have a Spey rod that I want to try out so I'm not as limited by the length of my shorter spin rods.

My other new thing I want to try is to figure out how to break a large enough hole out from shore to sight fish with the fish bow.

I would love to see that. That is a great idea. Last year when we were on McGregor it was thin enough that you could have used a saw.

slingshotz
11-16-2011, 10:24 AM
I got the idea last year when I saw people using a ice chisel pole to open up a big hole in the shallows instead of an auger. It's just a little dangerous having a big hole open unless it is flagged somehow.

sir pikealott
11-16-2011, 04:58 PM
Are there lake whites in Chestermere?

There are Whites in there, but i've never fished for them. I don't even really fish Cherstermere and I live there. Used to fish it a lot when I was a kid when it was producing big Pike all the time, but over the years it just gets weedier and weedier and the fish are small. It will do if I need to kill a couple hours here or there in the winter. Seen some big whites but those were all dead on the shore after ice off. Have to try one day. I think Big Mac is a good idea soon for the white's though. Might try Sylvan again too this year for whites.

Eddy62
11-16-2011, 05:05 PM
I was going to get some cheap wood from home depot for the next week to stand on - some people use thair hunting skies for late ice back home, the same idea to spread some weight. Unless I hear that ice is really goodif you need wood i can help you out for free 4 by 8 sheet off ply or i can cut 1 down for you..as a matter of fact if you want some good hardwood to burn this winter i will get the guys in the shop to save some cherry.oak.walnut.maple for you ..just let me no are you in calgary?we throw out alot off hardwood

slingshotz
11-16-2011, 05:17 PM
Is any of that wood treated? I would love some cherry and oak for the smoker.

ak-71
11-17-2011, 08:20 AM
Thanks, parnavi, I will just get some cheap thin lumber from homedepot, but I hope I won't need it next Friday.

Jimboy
11-18-2011, 09:07 PM
Instead of fishin fer ice , l will stay home where its warm and watch the paint dry in my back bedroom , now thats excitin:thinking-006:

AK47
11-19-2011, 07:57 AM
Instead of fishin fer ice , l will stay home where its warm and watch the paint dry in my back bedroom , now thats excitin:thinking-006:

Good choice, last time I checked they did not make any stairs over the rocks at the dam.