PDA

View Full Version : Southwest AB brookies

hacman
11-20-2011, 08:39 PM
Hi all, long time lurker so I thought it was about time to start contributing to the forum. Haven't heard much about the lakes in the south so I went for a drive at noon to check out ice conditions. Lots of open water at St. Mary's by the dam, you could still fish from shore in some places. Payne had 3-4 inches by the boat launch, lake totally snow covered. There were tracks of someone being their this morning so I gave it a try close to the shore, wouldn't go much further though as it looked a little sketchy further out. Not even a sniff here so off to Butcher, it had a solid 5-6 inches and snow covered as well. Fished for about 3 hours and landed 10 brookies ranging from 8 - 12 inches. Was planning to do the circuit and make my way to Beauvais and Lees but didn't make it as fishing was too good at Butcher.

npauls
11-20-2011, 08:42 PM
Nice.

I was talking to a buddy about that place today and I think we may make a trip out there next weekend if the ice can hold solid through out this week.

Thanks for the update and congrats on the early ice fish.

Tabers Best
11-20-2011, 08:43 PM
What part of the lake did you fish at Badger, as well if you don't mind what did you catch them on??

hacman
11-20-2011, 09:24 PM
Nice.

I was talking to a buddy about that place today and I think we may make a trip out there next weekend if the ice can hold solid through out this week.

Thanks for the update and congrats on the early ice fish.

Ya, its supposed to blow and get warm this week. The area I fished was sheltered pretty good as it was breezy today so maybe it will hold up. This was my only chance to get out for the next couple weeks, good luck if you make it out.

What part of the lake did you fish at Badger, as well if you don't mind what did you catch them on??

Didn't fish Badger, went to Butcher. Started with pink power bait on a teardrop jig but the first couple took it pretty deep so I switched to a small 1/8 oz rapala ice jig.

Tabers Best
11-20-2011, 09:45 PM
Ya, its supposed to blow and get warm this week. The area I fished was sheltered pretty good as it was breezy today so maybe it will hold up. This was my only chance to get out for the next couple weeks, good luck if you make it out.

Didn't fish Badger, went to Butcher. Started with pink power bait on a teardrop jig but the first couple took it pretty deep so I switched to a small 1/8 oz rapala ice jig.

Thanks, it was Butcher that I was wondering about...

harrydude
11-20-2011, 09:49 PM
were is Butcher lake?

ballyboy
11-20-2011, 09:52 PM
Butcher Lake is just west of the Waterton Shell Plant.

Flyfisher87
11-21-2011, 06:34 AM
Hi all, long time lurker so I thought it was about time to start contributing to the forum. Haven't heard much about the lakes in the south so I went for a drive at noon to check out ice conditions. Lots of open water at St. Mary's by the dam, you could still fish from shore in some places. Payne had 3-4 inches by the boat launch, lake totally snow covered. There were tracks of someone being their this morning so I gave it a try close to the shore, wouldn't go much further though as it looked a little sketchy further out. Not even a sniff here so off to Butcher, it had a solid 5-6 inches and snow covered as well. Fished for about 3 hours and landed 10 brookies ranging from 8 - 12 inches. Was planning to do the circuit and make my way to Beauvais and Lees but didn't make it as fishing was too good at Butcher.

I have been wondering about Butcher as well. Was going to try it this winter anyways. Thanks for the info.

Taco
11-21-2011, 07:00 AM
Looks like those Butcher fish put on some weight this summer and fall. Fished it during stream blowout and all I caught was skinny 12" snakes

tara_13
11-21-2011, 07:38 AM
I was going to go out to Beauvias, but since I go out there offen theres no one really there.. So I think to be on the safe side, I will have my husband along with me. If you go, can you let me know. Im pretty familiar with the place...

npauls
11-21-2011, 10:30 AM
Looks like those Butcher fish put on some weight this summer and fall. Fished it during stream blowout and all I caught was skinny 12" snakes

I was thinking the same thing. The last few times I have been there with the fly sticks they have all looked starving or sick. They put up plenty of fight for how thin they were but good to see them getting fatter.

Has anyone been to bathing lake out there? I have fished it a few times and never really seen anything to think that there is life in there.

ORV
11-21-2011, 10:44 AM
I was thinking the same thing. The last few times I have been there with the fly sticks they have all looked starving or sick. They put up plenty of fight for how thin they were but good to see them getting fatter.

Has anyone been to bathing lake out there? I have fished it a few times and never really seen anything to think that there is life in there.

i was at bathing at thanksgiving this year. not even a bite.
i have been to that lake about 4 times & never had a bite or seen a rise.
it must be fished out right away.waste of time for sure.

the ones i caught at butcher were pretty small as well.
let them go back to get bigger.hoping it worked.lol