PDA

View Full Version : Pop up ice fishing tents

fishingnut
11-21-2011, 12:46 PM
Well looks like I am in the market for a new tent and was wondering what suggestions people have. I have a Frabil Outpost, that I love, but it has been a while since I bought it, and was just wondering what people are suggestioning now. Would like a 3 man and trying to keep it under the $250 range. Frabil, Eskimo and Clam were my three choices I was going to pick from, but am open to others.

slingshotz
11-21-2011, 01:33 PM
I have the 3 man Eskimo and it's been awesome except for the windows that get brittle in the -25 cold. They are easy to replace though. It would be tight with 3 people fishing though, not much room for gear.

GOT1!
11-21-2011, 04:11 PM
I have the Eskimo Quickfish 4, I love it!! Very well built, Good size for 3 people. Mine is 4 yrs old, and gets abused ( I mean used) often. Drawback is the the top load carry bag ( at least the year I bought mine), can be frustrating with cold hands and iced up walls to load that sucker back in the bag. My buddies zips open from the side and much easier to pack up.( Not sure what make it is.) Also I agree with the window issue, one of mine is cracked. Just perfect to pass minnows through. I did contact Ardisam about this and they had no problem sending a replacement at no charge.......IF, I could find my original receipt and photocopy it. Which I obviously could not.

Rumtan
11-21-2011, 04:16 PM
I have an eskimo tent that has dual purposes.....when im fishing in it, its a tent......when my quad froze solid on the back of my truck, it worked as a cover that I could add my heater and thaw out the quad. Mighty handy things these tents !

kargor
11-21-2011, 05:51 PM
I have the Sub Zero 4 man from CT , I picked it up on sale for 199.00 last year it was on sale twice , once early in the year and once near the end of the season. It is well made , easy to setup , and put back in the bag , no bad things to say .:sHa_shakeshout:

Kim473
11-21-2011, 06:24 PM
I have the Sub Zero 4 man from CT , I picked it up on sale for 199.00 last year it was on sale twice , once early in the year and once near the end of the season. It is well made , easy to setup , and put back in the bag , no bad things to say .:sHa_shakeshout:

Have heard and read good things about these.

Kim473
11-21-2011, 06:26 PM
I have the Eskimo Quickfish 4, I love it!! Very well built, Good size for 3 people. Mine is 4 yrs old, and gets abused ( I mean used) often. Drawback is the the top load carry bag ( at least the year I bought mine), can be frustrating with cold hands and iced up walls to load that sucker back in the bag. My buddies zips open from the side and much easier to pack up.( Not sure what make it is.) Also I agree with the window issue, one of mine is cracked. Just perfect to pass minnows through. I did contact Ardisam about this and they had no problem sending a replacement at no charge.......IF, I could find my original receipt and photocopy it. Which I obviously could not.

Funny everyone ran down the costco ones for these reasons, I have not had any problems with my costco one.

Willowtrail
11-21-2011, 07:09 PM
I have the blue 3 man Costco. No problems at all last season. I just upgraded to the Eskimo 7-9 man Fatfish, tested yesterday and love it. Lots of room but there should be, it's huge.

Thinking of selling my 3 man since I never really fish alone. Was going to ask $120 for it but haven't put in the buysell yet.

LacLaBicheNS
11-21-2011, 08:36 PM
after owing a pop up for a year I am going to up grade to a flip up version that comes with a sled/bench seat. It really can be hard setting up a pop up up when its cold. And to switch spots takes quite a bit of time. flip ups (or flip overs) are a lot easier to switch spots and cart your gear around/

dragon
11-23-2011, 09:53 AM
after owing a pop up for a year I am going to up grade to a flip up version that comes with a sled/bench seat. It really can be hard setting up a pop up up when its cold. And to switch spots takes quite a bit of time. flip ups (or flip overs) are a lot easier to switch spots and cart your gear around/

I just sold my quickflip 2 and bought the fat fish 7-9. IMO the pop ups are much easier to set up and cart around than the quickflip. First off the quickflip is heavy by itself and won't fit in my suv unless all the seats are folded down. Every time you want to move you have to load every thing back up through the door then partially collapse the tent then move. Kind of a pain in the butt

I fish and haul my tent with a snowmobile and have switched to the pop up and a utility sled. This way I'm not storing my power auger in my tent.. I can easily pack what I need and don't need. And the utility sled is great for pulling the kids...

slimjim
11-23-2011, 10:14 PM
My Costco tent has been nothing but trouble, fix it after every trip.

ogre
11-24-2011, 11:56 AM
I have an Eskimo Quickfish 3, and a single person HT Quick Hut. Both are really great. I use the Quick Hut for run-n-gun while having the 3 as a base tent.

Darren57
11-24-2011, 12:08 PM
Just coppy/pasted this from my own post on a different thread:
I baught a pop up hunt hide for a fishing tent at the end of last season for half the cost of the same size ice pop up. It pops up in 20-30 seconds. I think it is the equivalent of a 4 man esqimo from the picks on the esqimo site. Only had a chance to take it out once last year but it works good and the only difference i can tell is that it does not have the extra floor flaps on the bottom so a bit of light shines in right through the snow during the day along the floor. I might bring some blankets or something to seal them up better this year. It still blocks out more than some coulored ice shelters though because it is camo on the outside and black on the inside. The only thing i would upgrade is the size. As others have found it is a little crouded with more than 2 people with gear and heater. It was $149.00 on sale at bas pro last winter reg $299.00. I am very happy with the purchase.:sHa_shakeshout:

Darren57
11-24-2011, 12:16 PM
Also coppied and pasted:
I just looked at the bass pro flyer. The model i bought was the primos vision. It is now $249 ,but the ameristep brickhouse is on sale for $129.00. It looks about the same but has less window flaps which would be bad for hunting but good for fishing! I wouldnt be supprised to see some of them on the ice. Just my opinion though.