PDA

View Full Version : New to ice fishing, need advice

Bobby B.
11-22-2011, 09:39 AM
It's been years since I ice fished, years. Back when my buddies and I went ice fishing, some guys still chopped a hole through the ice with an axe, only a few had augers. We used to sit out in the open on a metal 5 gallon pail or lay down on the ice with a blanket over our heads so we could see into the water. I realize ice fishing has progressed far beyond the primitive stage we experienced.

I think it would be fun to get back into ice fishing. Can anyone suggest a quality tent big enough for four 6 footers, a quality power auger, a quality heater and whatever else is required.

I live in Edmonton so was thinking of fishing either Millers or Carson.

Bobby B.

New Hunter Okotoks
11-22-2011, 09:56 AM
Hey Bobby. I think that Costco might have a suitable tent available for four 6' guys. You can also check out the Frabill/Clam websites for the various tents that they have available. I use a Big Buddy Heater(2 bottle model) to heat a Frabill Predator portable shelter. A big tent like the Frabill Headquarters would likely benefit from having 2 heaters.

I think all the manufactures make a decent power auger(I'm a Jiffy guy) If you're going to target any large fish,for sure get a 10" auger. Lake Trout and Pike fit much easier and less likelyhood of losing a large fish. If you are just going after perch or trout,a 6" or certainly an 8" will be plenty.

You might find some of the cold weather apparel interesting these days as well. I purchased a Mustang Flotation suit that will be plenty warm enough and also offers the peace of mind that it floats. Frabill and Clam have some Cold Weather suits that would make the ice fishing a lot more tolerable on the colder days.

Hope all goes well for you getting back into ice fishing Bobby. I personally can't wait to get out there!

Dan Foss
11-22-2011, 11:45 AM
I have had a buddy heater and they are great and have some great features but I traded mine in for a sunflower. The big difference is the propane supple. THe buddies can use the 1lb bottles but they burn through them pretty quick. the regular buddy would last 4 hours on a single bottle. so I am assuming the big buddy would be quicker. You can hook up bigger bottles to these but then your carrying a 10/20lb bottle and the heater unit.

I switched to the sunflower tank top style heaters. They are half the price and just install on top of a propane take. I use a 10lb propane take because I would rather just refill it than carry the extra 10 lbs in the sled. dono how long it last on a 10 lb tank yet but I have put 2 solid days on it so far and it is still goin. and as far as heat, I have a smaller tent (they call it 4 man but I would never put more than 3 in it but us most comfortable for 2) 6 foot x 6foot and it heats it so well that we actually have to put it on low and choke the propane coming from the bottle or just turn it off for periods of time because it is too hot in the tent. you can also get them with a double burner that puts out more BTUs which may be an option you want to explore. see the link below for the fishin hole.

https://www.thefishinhole.com/index.cfm?imageSku=3867761&enlargeSkuz=26329&PRODUCTSEARCH=

WayneChristie
11-22-2011, 12:25 PM
if you go sunflower heater, look around for the model that has a built in rack so you can just lean it back and cook on it. fresh coffee at minus 40 is the next best thing to...

Dan Foss
11-22-2011, 12:26 PM
if you go sunflower heater, look around for the model that has a built in rack so you can just lean it back and cook on it. fresh coffee at minus 40 is the next best thing to...

to bass fishing?

gulfman
11-22-2011, 12:35 PM

Wayne........ do you know who makes that style of sunflower heater??

chriscosta
11-22-2011, 01:00 PM
Get a chainsaw n go to town putting more reliable than a husky and you can make a hole as big as you want lol

Dust1n
11-22-2011, 04:45 PM
Wayne........ do you know who makes that style of sunflower heater??

Mr.Heater

WayneChristie
11-22-2011, 05:20 PM
to bass fishing?

close enough. crap I must be getting old!!!:scared0018:

The Fisherman Guy
11-22-2011, 06:44 PM
Sunflower heaters are awesome in two person tents. Any more people in there and the space the tank takes up makes it clumsy and prone to getting knocked over when someone gets excited with a fish on. Fall over, hole in $400 tent.

Bobby, I suggest you take a look at the Eskimo tents. Bigger footprint than most hub style tents, and us six foot guys can stand up inside. (your head may touch the top if you are wearing a hat) Go with the twin model, and have all the room you need. I believe they are about $489.99 at WSS.

For a heater, go with the Buddy heaters. Run a 25lb tank, and pipe the hose under the bottom of the tent to keep the tank outside. Then you have just the heater inside, and the thermos will keep your coffee warm.

As for an auger, if you want a shoulder workout and don't want to drill more than 5 holes, grab a hand auger. Keep the blades sharp and drilling is easy!

If you have a budget for a power auger, Jiffy makes good augers. Might as well get a 10 inch auger. You might step in it, but you'll just get sore nuts and a wet leg. The 6' and 8' holes are ankle breakers if you step in them.

Great to hear you are getting back into the sport. As far as lying down on the ice, you won't have to if you have a tent. Close the windows, and with those 10' holes, you will be able to see a lot of the action!

Good luck!

Dust1n
11-22-2011, 07:29 PM
i would invest in some quality line for the first step.
stay away from the following except for Pline that stuff wont let you down iv landed massive pike on the 4lb test hand lining it in. yet invisible to whitefish in the clearest of water. Outfishing max 2-1 using the same setup and same depth of water.(maybe different technique)

then after that is settled buy and Eskimo ice auger hand or gas there both very good augers.
Ice rod the st.croix ice rods are great super light with back bone not to mention the how sensitive it is.
if you have your car parked on the lake just use it to block the wind and use a mr.heater(sunflower heater) great machines.
Tip Ups are another great choice using a big treble through a smelt or a duel setup with a mackeral.
make sure you use a flouro leader on the tip up 12-16 inches long with a snap swival to change trebles.

Kim473
11-23-2011, 01:10 AM
This is an easy one to answer. 6 man hub style tent, Big buddy heater with 20lb tank, and a eskimo 10" auger a 8" works fine but you will be happier with the 10" hole.

Bobby B.
11-23-2011, 09:43 AM
Thanks for all the info. I'll be checking things out this week or next and try to familiarize myself with what all you are talking about.

Although I'll be fishing mostly with my SIL, I still would prefer a tent that would accommodate 4 guys comfortably so I expect I'll want a 6 man tent.

I already have a 35 year old hand auger. I'm confident my SIL can figure out how to use it once I point out where he should drill the holes:innocent: Still, those electric Ice Gator auger are appealing.

Not sure what to think about a heater. Somewhere I read about a possible problem with condensation and consequent dripping water. What temperature do you guys like to keep your tents at?

This might sound like a stupid question to some of you experienced guys but I'll risk possible humiliation for the sake of knowledge. Do you drill the holes before the raising the tent or after?

Bobby B.

Tyangelo
11-23-2011, 10:53 AM
Not a dumb question at all. What I do is open my 6 man, and go inside and pilot the holes a couple inches down, then move my shelter over and finish the holes. Keeps exhaust fumes out as much as possible. With a hand auger I'd do the same thing, as it's probably be easier working at it from outside the tent. Just watch where your stepping when you're moving the shelter back over.

WayneChristie
11-23-2011, 12:26 PM
I measure out my holes and drill them before setting up the tent, in Southern Alberta you dont want a tent sitting there waiting for the next gust of wind :sHa_sarcasticlol: you will get some condensation, but the tents have windows you can open for ventilation. Only time Ive seen it really bad was in a 6 man with 4 or 5 adults and 2 heaters going full blast. you might want to pick up some sort of rubber or foam floor tiles too, melting ice gets pretty slippery and it helps with the condensation as well.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
11-23-2011, 02:09 PM
Bobby go check out the fishing Centre go see what they have likely you can get yourself a decent deal on all the Ice fishing gear .

Bobby B.
11-23-2011, 02:16 PM
What's a 'hub style' tent and what other styles are there? What're the advantages and disadvantages. It would be beneficial to have some prior knowledge of these things before going to shop in the stores. Obviously, there's a great deal of knowledge right here on the forum, and alot of experience as well.

Bobby B.

Sundancefisher
11-23-2011, 02:22 PM
Don't try ice fishing this year...too warm...wait till a cold year. :angry3:

I NEED ICE!

11-23-2011, 02:27 PM
What's a 'hub style' tent and what other styles are there? What're the advantages and disadvantages. It would be beneficial to have some prior knowledge of these things before going to shop in the stores. Obviously, there's a great deal of knowledge right here on the forum, and alot of experience as well.

Bobby B.

The hub just like a ground blind holds the poles per each side and makes it fold . They have a teather on them so you pull it and pop the wall out .

Hunter Trav
11-23-2011, 02:38 PM
Don't try ice fishing this year...too warm...wait till a cold year. :angry3:

I NEED ICE!

Dude, I was out ice fishing on Sunday, go west my friend...:D

Rumtan
11-23-2011, 03:27 PM
The best advice I got when starting icefishing was to go with someone who has been before.......everything else will fall into place. Experience is the best teacher around. Make it fun and you will be back.
I know BBJ does a spectacular job of teaching and doing an on-ice BBQ all for around $5 a person.....and he is a blast to fish with. He teaches the ins and outs of what to, and what not to do, on the ice. He takes groups out for a day trip....thats what I would reccomend.

11-23-2011, 04:07 PM
The best advice I got when starting icefishing was to go with someone who has been before.......everything else will fall into place. Experience is the best teacher around. Make it fun and you will be back.
I know BBJ does a spectacular job of teaching and doing an on-ice BBQ all for around $5 a person.....and he is a blast to fish with. He teaches the ins and outs of what to, and what not to do, on the ice. He takes groups out for a day trip....thats what I would reccomend.

You are correct http://www.bbjtackleandfishingadventures.com/coursesandclasses.htm

Bobby B.
11-23-2011, 09:32 PM

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll look into it.

Bobby B.

Crusty
11-24-2011, 06:29 PM
Wait for 4" and then have the time of your life!

WayneChristie
11-24-2011, 08:34 PM
Wait for 4" and then have the time of your life!

if all you have is 4 inches you might have a great time, but shes will be bored silly. ( I mean ice thickness of course. :bad_boys_20:

Kim473
11-25-2011, 06:21 AM
Thanks for all the info. I'll be checking things out this week or next and try to familiarize myself with what all you are talking about.

Although I'll be fishing mostly with my SIL, I still would prefer a tent that would accommodate 4 guys comfortably so I expect I'll want a 6 man tent.

I already have a 35 year old hand auger. I'm confident my SIL can figure out how to use it once I point out where he should drill the holes:innocent: Still, those electric Ice Gator auger are appealing.

Not sure what to think about a heater. Somewhere I read about a possible problem with condensation and consequent dripping water. What temperature do you guys like to keep your tents at?

This might sound like a stupid question to some of you experienced guys but I'll risk possible humiliation for the sake of knowledge. Do you drill the holes before the raising the tent or after?

Bobby B.

Most days the heater is not required as it is warm inside cause there is no wind and if you keep the doors closed on a -5 degree day it will be warm inside.

I drill the holes before i set the tent up. Does not take a brain surgeon to figure what fits after the first set up.