PDA

View Full Version : Edmonton area Ice?? warm weather

pophouseman
11-23-2011, 07:55 AM
What is everyones opinion on the last 2 warm days? do you think this will impede the ice forming much? The warm winds we saw in edmonton yesterday could do some serious melting. anyone think these last few days could affect our outings on saturday?

Geezle
11-23-2011, 07:59 AM
The warm winds may slow down the thickening of the ice a little bit, but it shouldn't really be melting away anything yet I wouldn't think.

I went and checked out one of the pothole trout ponds yesterday and the ice was around 5"-6" thick, though there was some slush under the snow from the ice flooding a little since we got last week's snow.

As long as the lake you're planning to fish had decent ice before, it should still have decent ice on Saturday.

Guy on a Buffalo
11-23-2011, 06:47 PM
Noticed around St. Albert area today that there was open water in the middle of some pothole lakes, when, just the other day it was iced over. Don't think I'll even chance it for a long time yet.

pophouseman
11-23-2011, 07:24 PM
Noticed around St. Albert area today that there was open water in the middle of some pothole lakes, when, just the other day it was iced over. Don't think I'll even chance it for a long time yet.

hmmmmmm was it quite windy in the St.Albert area today?? i think the wind affects it more then anything???

Guy on a Buffalo
11-23-2011, 08:03 PM
hmmmmmm was it quite windy in the St.Albert area today?? i think the wind affects it more then anything???
That could be the case, and probably is, but I couldn't tell ya for sure as I wasn't outside that much today. When I was outside it was relatively calm. I just drove by the lakes from work. On the radio they were saying that the wind 1000ft up was gusting at times just under 100km/hr! Crazy!!

dragon
11-24-2011, 08:58 AM
it only reached 2 degrees yesterday. With in the 24 hour period find out the average temperature. That will tell you if for the day the ice grew or shrank.
my guess would be -4 ish?
Also keep in mind the 2 degrees was in edmonton. It will be a couple degrees colder out of the city.

linemanpete
11-24-2011, 09:19 AM

Could be water on top of the ice?

Shaynet
11-24-2011, 09:45 AM
What is the best lake for whitefish in Edmonton area?

Mr.twister
11-24-2011, 08:04 PM
Grrr.... i heard +9 for sunday. Really sucks.

j_porter
11-24-2011, 09:20 PM
man made lake by morinville had almost 9 inches of ice at noon today

Kim473
11-25-2011, 06:12 AM
What is the best lake for whitefish in Edmonton area?

Pigeon Lake probably.