PDA

View Full Version : muddy trout taste

fishunter
11-23-2011, 08:13 PM
How long does it take for the muddy taste to go away in a trout, for the winter fishing.

slivers86
11-23-2011, 08:15 PM
I'd assume until the water clears up? The ones I have caught are from nearly crystal clear ice water, and taste fine so far. I'd assume where you find current in the lakes, you'll find murky water, and nothing would change that. I could be entirely wrong however.

greylynx
11-23-2011, 08:27 PM
How long does it take for the muddy taste to go away in a trout, for the winter fishing.

That taste is stored in the fat tissue.

As the trout consumes that fat over winter it will not taste as muddy.

Albertafisher
11-23-2011, 08:37 PM
That taste is stored in the fat tissue.

As the trout consumes that fat over winter it will not taste as muddy.

You can always take off a majority of the fat though.

anthony5
11-23-2011, 09:20 PM
About 2 weeks after the water clears.

Ronbill
11-24-2011, 02:58 PM

Muddy flavors come from the uptake of geosmin and 2-methylisoborneol that is produced by cyanobacteria (blue-green algae) in the water.

As mentioned above, these compounds accumulate in fatty fish tissues and will be eliminated with time once the water clears (i.e. cyanobacteria die-off).
However, the rate of elimination is dependant on water temps and fat content of the fish, which is species and age (size) specific. The colder the water, the longer it will take for fish to eliminate the compounds as metabolism (fat or energy consumption) is reduced.
Also, the fatter the fish, the longer it will take for the muddy taste to disappear.
Given these factors, elimination of muddy taste could take as much as 8 weeks.

finner-duramax
11-24-2011, 03:20 PM
Smoke them, and there is no muddy taste

Ronbill
11-24-2011, 03:23 PM
Smoke them, and there is no muddy taste

Agreed - smoking them :bad_boys_20: is the simplest answer.

The Fisherman Guy
11-24-2011, 03:37 PM
Muddy flavors come from the uptake of geosmin and 2-methylisoborneol that is produced by cyanobacteria (blue-green algae) in the water.

As mentioned above, these compounds accumulate in fatty fish tissues and will be eliminated with time once the water clears (i.e. cyanobacteria die-off).
However, the rate of elimination is dependant on water temps and fat content of the fish, which is species and age (size) specific. The colder the water, the longer it will take for fish to eliminate the compounds as metabolism (fat or energy consumption) is reduced.
Also, the fatter the fish, the longer it will take for the muddy taste to disappear.
Given these factors, elimination of muddy taste could take as much as 8 weeks.

Great information Ronbill, Thank you!

krazy
11-24-2011, 04:18 PM
Why they taste muddy:
http://flyguys.net/blog/fishing-information/muddy-tasting-fish

A Recipe that helps:
http://flyguys.net/blog/recipes/fish-recipes/a-non-fishy-trout-recipe

sureshot
11-24-2011, 04:49 PM
Agreed - smoking them :bad_boys_20: is the simplest answer.

I tried but the rolling paper keeps ripping.

Andy

WayneChristie
11-24-2011, 08:36 PM
They are trout, how good can they taste???? :sHa_sarcasticlol:

slivers86
11-24-2011, 08:40 PM
They are trout, how good can they taste???? :sHa_sarcasticlol:

well, when cooked up like the one I had tonight, DELICIOUS :)