PDA

View Full Version : chainsawin it up

chriscosta
11-24-2011, 01:53 PM
I got an awesome auger but I must say I like my chainsaw this time of year anyone got any input on this. ..Is it a danger or no I put the square back in the hole

BeeGuy
11-24-2011, 02:05 PM
A hole larger than a child has some measure of risk involved, and is likely unnecessary unless your fish are larger than children.

We used to use chainsaws like this years ago and would always make sure we left the holes well marked with branches and such in order to identify it for snow machines etc.

The Fisherman Guy
11-24-2011, 02:21 PM
The oil from the chain creates a nasty slick to pull your fish through, even if you use vegtable oil, it makes it difficult to see down to extended depths of 15ft or more, of course depending on water clarity.

Albertadiver
11-24-2011, 02:26 PM
We use a chainsaw when Ice diving. We stand on the cut up piece and push it under the main ice. When we're done diving, we push the piece back into the hole and leave a few sticks with flagging around it for safety. Most of what we do is in a national park, so someone has to go back and remove the flagging a few days later.

YeeHaw
11-24-2011, 02:32 PM
I have also used a chainsaw numerous times, but later in the year it can be a pain getting the block out of the hole, and there are to many r,tards leaving them on the ice for sleds to hit. I had one cost me $1200 in repaires to my sled, plus a busted rib.

Mike_W
11-24-2011, 02:50 PM
I think it is silly and should be illegal to do. I too have seen to many ice chunks and open holes for my liking.

Kim473
11-25-2011, 06:26 AM
The same as drill a hole and not clearing the snow around it. Hit a 1 foot high froozen snow pile at 60 mph and see what happens.

lifesaflyin
11-26-2011, 12:13 AM
The same as drill a hole and not clearing the snow around it. Hit a 1 foot high froozen snow pile at 60 mph and see what happens.

did that twice ,both times i was on my ass for probly quarter mile. no major injuries just a snow suit full of snow and lots of bruises both times on coal lake.

BBM
11-27-2011, 07:45 AM
Not an issue using a saw! But a real problem with jerks who don't mark the hole with something more visible than a fricken beer can!!!

tallieho
11-27-2011, 08:04 AM
chain saw's & 10" auger's should be banned..I broke my leg in 3 places.My lawyer claimed that i could sue the sob if i knew who it was!!!!!:argue2::angry3:

192 whitey
11-27-2011, 08:26 AM
chain saw's & 10" auger's should be banned..I broke my lake in 3 places.My lawyer claimed that i could sue the sob if i knew who it was!!!!!:argue2::angry3:

Maybe 60 mph snowmobiles should be banned then you wouldn't break your LAKE LOL

huntsfurfish
11-27-2011, 08:32 AM
chain saw's & 10" auger's should be banned..I broke my lake in 3 places.My lawyer claimed that i could sue the sob if i knew who it was!!!!!:argue2::angry3:

Lawyers would say that:):lol:;)

Was it a 10" hole or chain saw? Watching your step on the ice should be your first line of defence.:)

gl2
11-27-2011, 08:34 AM
I have never used a chin saw but do cut 10" holes on the ice. had a smart as* showoff on a snowmobile run over one of my tip ups last year. He never stopped as i don't think he even knew he run it over. How many of you snowmobilers are travelling way to fast out there on the ice? if you are snowmobiling in the mountains and hit a fallen tree do you sue the forestry dept?

huntsfurfish
11-27-2011, 08:39 AM
I have never used a chin saw but do cut 10" holes on the ice. had a smart as* showoff on a snowmobile run over one of my tip ups last year. He never stopped as i don't think he even knew he run it over. How many of you snowmobilers are travelling way to fast out there on the ice? if you are snowmobiling in the mountains and hit a fallen tree do you sue the forestry dept?

I agree!

Its not your private track. There are other users.

Xiph0id
11-27-2011, 08:56 AM
When i drill holes, I'm always making sure I push the shavings out and flatten slush.
If you do that, you've done your part. It's not just holes that make it difficult for the snow machines. Sometimes it's flood water and boot prints and etc.
They just need to slow down. When I'm on the sled I'm always careful and looking out for stuff.

Don K
11-27-2011, 08:56 AM

There are a lot of idiots on the lakes running sleds. I think they all fee
Theyre on their own personal salt flats!

bigfishen
11-27-2011, 10:48 AM
and here comes the sea-doo versus fishing boats..... errr I mean snowmobilers versus ice fishers debate:scared0018:

jungleboy
11-27-2011, 11:20 AM
There are a lot of idiots on the lakes running sleds. I think they all fee
Theyre on their own personal salt flats!

Ive been on this forum for a few years now and one thing I have learned ,is that outdoors people have zero tolerance for anyone who is not participating in the same sport they are and even less for those who are participating but doing it differently than they would do it.

MoFugger21
11-27-2011, 11:29 AM

Lol @ going 60 mph on the lake!!

anthony5
11-27-2011, 11:44 AM
One of the other sports is laughter when one of the sleds at that speed hits a pressure ridge on the ice that can't be seen at high speeds! Safety is not considered a sport, but some sledders should consider it a new sport on the not so flat hard water.:sHa_sarcasticlol: