PDA

View Full Version : Weirdest thing you've ever found in a tub of minnows

Guitarplayingfish
11-24-2011, 10:34 PM
So a few years back I wwent to get bait and go ice fishing as I usually do when targetting pike, and I found this little guy in the container. I haven't been able to identify him, nor have others. Anyone know? I've gotten lots of shiners with perch in there before but nothing like this :thinking-006:

Sorry about the bad quality... camera phones... :snapoutofit:

Daceminnow
11-24-2011, 10:37 PM
easy. juvenile candle lake sea horse. nice find. how did it work?

Dace

BeeGuy
11-24-2011, 11:12 PM
So a few years back I wwent to get bait and go ice fishing as I usually do when targetting pike, and I found this little guy in the container. I haven't been able to identify him, nor have others. Anyone know? I've gotten lots of shiners with perch in there before but nothing like this :thinking-006:

yup, looks like a syngnathid.

maybe a pipefish.

just_dave
11-25-2011, 12:03 AM
What area does a fish like that come from?

BeeGuy
11-25-2011, 12:13 AM
What area does a fish like that come from?

yonder salt chuck

Albertafisher
11-25-2011, 02:20 PM
Weirdest thing was probably an Iowa Dater. Those things don't work well though.

Bobby B.
11-25-2011, 05:28 PM

That sir, is a juvenile needle fish. Keep it alive and let it grow. Once it grows to greater than 12", use it as barracuda bait. It's the best there is.:thinking-017: Works well in the Bahamas.

Bobby B.

outwalking
11-25-2011, 08:06 PM
That sir, is a juvenile needle fish. Keep it alive and let it grow. Once it grows to greater than 12", use it as barracuda bait. It's the best there is.:thinking-017: Works well in the Bahamas.

Bobby B.

Is that what they're actually called, "needlefish"? That's what I always called them. They do look somewhat sea-horsey too, never thought of that.

We caught lots of those up the coast from Vancouver.

Toirtis
11-26-2011, 05:15 PM
yup, looks like a syngnathid.

maybe a pipefish.

Damn, beat me to it....I agree.

Guitarplayingfish
11-26-2011, 06:06 PM
Crazy.Thanks for the information! I couldn't keep it alive as It was in a frozen tub of minnows...hahaha. It was so small I didnt even bother throwing it on the hook.

Crusty
11-26-2011, 06:59 PM
Is that what they're actually called, "needlefish"? That's what I always called them. They do look somewhat sea-horsey too, never thought of that.

We caught lots of those up the coast from Vancouver.

Did you try CPR?