PDA

View Full Version : Brook trout

slivers86
11-25-2011, 06:26 PM
A friend of mine today, expressed his concern for brook trout numbers in streams in different areas, and showed me some numbers to prove it. According to the findings, numbers have declined dramatically in many streams over the past 5 years. I was definitely not aware of this, but he gave me some information on where to harvest stocked brookies, which I will do from now on I think.

Thoughts, comments?

Gary K
11-25-2011, 06:29 PM
good news! :sHa_shakeshout:

Dust1n
11-25-2011, 06:51 PM
A friend of mine today, expressed his concern for brook trout numbers in streams in different areas, and showed me some numbers to prove it. According to the findings, numbers have declined dramatically in many streams over the past 5 years. I was definitely not aware of this, but he gave me some information on where to harvest stocked brookies, which I will do from now on I think.

Thoughts, comments?

that's kind of the point is to reduce and try to keep there populations low so what other fisherman think are superior trout can dominate over them like brown trout in stauffer. Its happening but its true because they can out compete other trout like cuttys for food and can breed rapidly over population themselves and stunting. example elbow lake.
brookies IMO can save you a bad day when your on the verge of getting skunked searching for browns on corner pools in stauffer

McLeod
11-25-2011, 07:18 PM
First of I love Brook Trout. They are a beautiful fish. They are found in some awesome places especially in our foothills and mountains. They taste great and
they can be fun to catch because where you find one most often you will find several.

But the facts are they aren't native.. The plan is to remove as many Brook Trout from all flowing waters in the Province because they have or are displacing
native trout. I am all good with this as 3N Brookies will still be available in lakes and there will always be some Brookies in flowing water as they will never be wiped out they are just to prolific.But we need to help restore Cutties , Athabasca Rainbows and Bulls.

I would like to see the numbers that you refer to silver86

amk
11-25-2011, 08:58 PM
Browns are not native either, but nobody is against them, why? And I have read somewhere browns are most resilient/adaptive...

Dust1n
11-25-2011, 09:04 PM
Browns are not native either, but nobody is against them, why? And I have read somewhere browns are most resilient/adaptive...

that and they are smart fish and IMO the hardest to fool compared to cutts, ect. which makes for an awesome sportfish.
lots of fish in alberta are not native including golden trout, brookies, browns, rainbows(not athabasca rainbows).

Daceminnow
11-25-2011, 09:14 PM
i too love the brook trout. both to catch and eat. i could never hate any fish. but they are a known invasive trout that are reeking havoc in some of our flowing waters in alberta. there was a project started this past summer in banff national park, the Upper Corral Creek and Hidden Lake Brook Trout Removal and Westslope Cutthroat Trout Reintroduction. see link below, as well as a link to a past project the Quirk Creek Brook Trout Suppression Project which a don't believe is still on going. a 10 year plus project i believe, in which i'm certain some board members were involved. maybe they could add more. some reading for you Slivers. i too would also like to see the numbers you speak of that your friend shared with you. please post them.

http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/ab/banff/plan/aquatiques-aquatics/hidden.aspx

http://www.tucanada.org/NP_QuirkCreek.shtml

Dace

BGSH
11-25-2011, 09:31 PM
As a fly fishermen there is nothing more exciting then catching a beautiful post spawn brook trout in full blown dark orange,reddish purple colors, you have to catch one to be attached to such a beautiful trout species. In Alberta the Brown trout were introduced in 1924 and the Brook trout were introduced in 1903. Brown trout are amazing for there red and black spotting, I love the fight of a Brown trout, i notice Brook trout are one of the smallest trout i have ever caught not getting much over 12 inches, but what a beauty when you do catch one, the mountains all ready have well over 150cm of snow on the ground, hopefully the runoff is not so bad on these small streams that hold these great trout species.

Shawn

chubbdarter
11-25-2011, 09:36 PM
if i knew where to catch em.........Bonk Bonk..sizzzle sizzle...yummy num num num

BGSH
11-25-2011, 09:43 PM
if i knew where to catch em.........Bonk Bonk..sizzzle sizzle...yummy num num num

I think chiccakoo lake has brookies, it is a stocked lake 25km west northwest of Edmonton, they love worms more then rainbows, goodluck.

Dust1n
11-25-2011, 09:47 PM
I think chiccakoo lake has brookies, it is a stocked lake 25km west northwest of Edmonton, they love worms more then rainbows, goodluck.

how about one closer to calgary haha.

BGSH
11-25-2011, 09:49 PM
how about one closer to calgary haha.

haha, was hoping chubbdarter would make the trip up north, dying to meet him. There probably are closer ponds to Calgary though.

amk
11-25-2011, 11:12 PM
north raven, upper reaches, you can fish for them now.

Dust1n
11-25-2011, 11:24 PM
north raven, upper reaches, you can fish for them now.

how far away have they moved away from the bridge since winter came along?
shouldnt they be wayy up there now?

slivers86
11-25-2011, 11:38 PM
I would like to see the numbers that you refer to silver86

I will get him to dig them up again next time I see him at work. He's pretty avid, and probably 100% C&R stream fisherman. He's not a forum member either. I'll find the numbers, and the paperwork for it, and scan it if need be.

BGSH
11-25-2011, 11:41 PM
I will get him to dig them up again next time I see him at work. He's pretty avid, and probably 100% C&R stream fisherman. He's not a forum member either. I'll find the numbers, and the paperwork for it, and scan it if need be.

And for populations of brook trout in streams around Alberta i think this goes for all trout species, and all are at risk i believe.

Shawn

slivers86
11-25-2011, 11:41 PM
I also agree though, elbow is a perfect example of a place where brook trout will not disappear unless the lake is killed. Also a great spot to go if you're having a bad streak of skunking.

Also, agree with shawn, nothing is better than a spawner, the colors are beautiful! fiesty little fish too, I've caught 3 over 14", one was a spawning female, I put her back in the water right away, but ate 2 males :) they were indeed quite tasty!

BGSH
11-25-2011, 11:45 PM
I also agree though, elbow is a perfect example of a place where brook trout will not disappear unless the lake is killed. Also a great spot to go if you're having a bad streak of skunking.

Also, agree with shawn, nothing is better than a spawner, the colors are beautiful! fiesty little fish too, I've caught 3 over 14", one was a spawning female, I put her back in the water right away, but ate 2 males :) they were indeed quite tasty!

Populations of all fish species are low i think due to the geography of Alberta, in b.c though most species of fish are thriving.

slivers86
11-25-2011, 11:49 PM
Populations of all fish species are low i think due to the geography of Alberta, in b.c though most species of fish are thriving.

I'd agree, the climate is a little more reliable and consistant in a lot of areas. Alberta seems to get warmer and warmer every year, which can never be good for any form of wildlife/aquatic life.

I'm wanting to fish a lot of territory in BC next year, being from shuswap, my dad and I will probably hit a lot of streams. Hoping for some massive dolly's and some big rainbows. After looking at the price of heavy fly rods, might have to take them on the spinners this year :P

BGSH
11-25-2011, 11:51 PM
I'd agree, the climate is a little more reliable and consistant in a lot of areas. Alberta seems to get warmer and warmer every year, which can never be good for any form of wildlife/aquatic life.

I'm wanting to fish a lot of territory in BC next year, being from shuswap, my dad and I will probably hit a lot of streams. Hoping for some massive dolly's and some big rainbows. After looking at the price of heavy fly rods, might have to take them on the spinners this year :P

You will get huge dollys from Dease river, use huge chunks of chicken if still aloud, also a few massive pike in there as well as some very healthy populations of Grayling.

amk
11-26-2011, 10:04 AM
how far away have they moved away from the bridge since winter came along?
shouldnt they be wayy up there now?

N52 10 40.2 W114 40 24.3 N52 10 51.6 W114 41 05.6 if you interested check in between these points, you will find.