PDA

View Full Version : Trophy antelope 102/118 pics

NIKON
11-26-2011, 09:43 AM
Was anyone drawn in 102/118 for trophy antelope this year...... I hear they wintered hard last year,........ Just wondering if anyone was down there this year?......... Should get a tag next year depending on how many tags they allow.........

Here's a couple bucks from there in 2006........

My buddies first antelope and my biggest to date

Nikon

sheephunter
11-26-2011, 09:46 AM
I spent a lot of time down there this summer and numbers were down about 30%. Still a fair number of antelope around but didn't see any bucks over 14.5-15" and not many of them. Not sure how many priority points you have but they cut tag numbers way back.

NIKON
11-26-2011, 09:50 AM
I spent a lot of time down there this summer and numbers were down about 30%. Still a fair number of antelope around but didn't see any bucks over 14.5-15" and not many of them. Not sure how many priority points you have but they cut tag numbers way back.

We will be a priority 5 , might have a chance at getting a tag

Nikon

sheephunter
11-26-2011, 09:51 AM

Nikon

I seriously doubt it but you never know I guess. I suspect tag number will be cut back for a few years.

Hooter
11-26-2011, 11:48 AM

Nikon

Me and 2 buddies went in as a group this year with the lowest priority being a 7 and we didn't get it, so I can pretty much guarantee you won't get it for at least a couple or 3 more years.

crawfy
11-26-2011, 01:55 PM
We were down there last Wednesday and seen lots of antelope not to many bucks though and none that had horns that were over 12 inches. It. Was good to see as many as we did though. Seen good numbers in the 104 also.

sheephunter
11-26-2011, 02:01 PM
We were down there last Wednesday and seen lots of antelope not to many bucks though and none that had horns that were over 12 inches. It. Was good to see as many as we did though. Seen good numbers in the 104 also.

All the big bucks should have shed their horns by now.

NIKON
11-26-2011, 02:19 PM
Me and 2 buddies went in as a group this year with the lowest priority being a 7 and we didn't get it, so I can pretty much guarantee you won't get it for at least a couple or 3 more years.

Priority 7 ?.......... I'll be an old man by the time i shoot 2 more.......lol......

Hard to believe how things have changed since my first hunt when I was 16.... used to get it every 3 years for sure....... might have to go on a hunt into montana or something

Nikon

packhuntr
11-26-2011, 02:42 PM

Just wanna make sure you havent forgot that 15 inch is BIG LENGTH on an antelope. If you are used to seeing stuff better than that I want to know where in Ab you look at goats. Maybe you typo'd an inch or two high? 15 inch length is SMOKIN HARD to find, 16 ALMOST DOESNT HAPPEN. You need to run a bunch of antelope through the optics to see one, and thats when this province has antelope. Length is only a fraction of the story anyways so its a useless comparison tool.

To the original poster, you need some numbers of big ANYTHING to come up with just afew, if your not waiting all those years to kill one for meat keep 9'ing your tag...

sheephunter
11-26-2011, 02:47 PM
Just wanna make sure you havent forgot that 15 inch is BIG LENGTH on an antelope. If you are used to seeing stuff better than that I want to know where in Ab you look at goats. Maybe you typo'd an inch or two high? 15 inch length is SMOKIN HARD to find, 16 ALMOST DOESNT HAPPEN. You need to run a bunch of antelope through the optics to see one, and thats when this province has antelope. Length is only a fraction of the story anyways so its a useless comparison tool.

To the original poster, you need some numbers of big ANYTHING to come up with just afew, if your not waiting all those years to kill one for meat keep 9'ing your tag...

You're right pack, I don't have a clue what I'm talking about.

packhuntr
11-26-2011, 02:51 PM
Woa, saw your reply and thought maybe something is wrong here?? I miss something?? Yes I misread your post, missing the part about "not many of them" Sorry SH, and I wasted my time 2 finger typing son-of-a

NIKON
11-26-2011, 02:59 PM

Packhuntr
You need numbers of big anything to come up with just a few?..... Don't understand what your saying...... Are you saying 999 my tag cuz the numbers are down and the odds of a trophy are slim right now down there?

packhuntr
11-26-2011, 03:24 PM
Thats been my experience with any species Ive hunted here. If your gonna get snapping and popping about killing big stuff, I suppose youd best be realistic about it. Cant kill big stuff if it isnt there, and with time restrictions on any hunt, pronghorn being the worst at 6 fast and furious days, man if you want something big its gotta be there. THAT ONE THING PRECLUDES EVERYTHING ELSE that you need to do to assure you provide yourself the best opportunity possible. After that it just comes down to hunting. The averages will look after themselves and hopefully they look good in the end. Thats how I look at er anyways... If your antelope tag was mine Id spend my time hunting other species. Keep 9'ing till there is an antelope herd in this province again, merely my opinion. Later

NIKON
11-26-2011, 03:33 PM
Thats been my experience with any species Ive hunted here. If your gonna get snapping and popping about killing big stuff, I suppose youd best be realistic about it. Cant kill big stuff if it isnt there, and with time restrictions on any hunt, pronghorn being the worst at 6 fast and furious days, man if you want something big its gotta be there. THAT ONE THING PRECLUDES EVERYTHING ELSE that you need to do to assure you provide yourself the best opportunity possible. After that it just comes down to hunting. The averages will look after themselves and hopefully they look good in the end. Thats how I look at er anyways... If your antelope tag was mine Id spend my time hunting other species. Keep 9'ing till there is an antelope herd in this province again, merely my opinion. Later

Makes perfect sense........looks like they only allowed 30 tags this year in rifle season compared to 385 in the 2010 season..........so based on this years results you needed an 8 priority........ wow

NIKON

crawfy
11-26-2011, 03:33 PM
All the big bucks should have shed their horns by now.

That would explain why we did'nt see any big bucks then, I did'nt realize that they shed their horns this early. We sure did see good numbers of antelope though, it was nice to see after reading some of the earlier post about antelope numbers being down.

Fletch10
11-26-2011, 07:49 PM
I got one that was 16 inches long long fall in 102/118. He was that long and 15 inches wide tip to tip.

packhuntr
11-26-2011, 08:02 PM
Cool bucks boys, check out this bad boy. 15 4/8 and 15 2/8. The one is not the best photo but that side profile shows him well, sorry wifey LOL

Fletch10
11-26-2011, 08:21 PM
That one has the prongs that mine needed pack!!!

packhuntr
11-26-2011, 08:30 PM
Theres lots that could use those cutters man LOL. Biggest cutters Ive ever seen in the flesh, both go 7 1/8, unreal. Not too many taken in N.A. with that magnitude of cutter. Too bad about his tops, just above average upstairs, it hurt him, an Ab hog none the less and an antelope of a lifetime

NIKON
11-26-2011, 09:18 PM
Real nice cutters, exactly what mine was missing
Still happy with my last buck

Nikon

sheephunter
11-26-2011, 09:23 PM
If only there was a spread credit for antelope. lol 21" tip to tip

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/photos-ak-ash1/v129/11/53/667430399/n667430399_510620_9077.jpg

sjemac
11-26-2011, 09:24 PM
I'm priority 11 right now. Just need to find the time.

Awesome antelope TJ regardless of score.

hunter11
11-26-2011, 09:30 PM
i have been 999 my trophy goat tag god knows for how long my last year priorty was 12 and im still not sure where to go never shot one before and all i am hoping for is a nice trophy for my wall i been eyeing a herd now for 2 years in the area where i hunt upland birds but still not sure if i should apply there. any advise from antelope hunters would be appreciated i sure would hate to apply for this tag without being sure of getting a good chance of harvesting a good trophy.thanks

sheephunter
11-26-2011, 09:34 PM
Awesome antelope TJ regardless of score.

Thanks. Ya, I passed an honest Booner to take him. He definitely is one of a kind. Looks awesome on the wall.

echo
11-27-2011, 08:12 AM

I'd have to argue on the 15 and 16 " lenght thing !

packhuntr
11-27-2011, 08:41 AM
Really Echo!?? Care to explain further? Do not make me believe you know nothing about antelope, and do not tell me you didnt know what you were looking at when you killed that hog, both would be depressing, I would hate to think the only reason you killed him is because any joe can tell an 85 inch antelope from the rest. You would argue that 15 inch is not big length, and 16 is smokin? Hmmm

echo
11-27-2011, 09:17 AM
Really Echo!?? Care to explain further? Do not make me believe you know nothing about antelope, and do not tell me you didnt know what you were looking at when you killed that hog, both would be depressing, I would hate to think the only reason you killed him is because any joe can tell an 85 inch antelope from the rest. You would argue that 15 inch is not big length, and 16 is smokin? Hmmm

Believe me i did'nt make the comment to start an arguement,but in my days of antelope hunting maybe were lucky or who knows but just saying....not sure what your getting at but yes i did know what i was looking at when i shot my antelope and i knew about him for quite some time plus for the record he was a tad over 87 inches yes you are probaly correct about some areas but there are others that the antelope do quite well.just saying.

sheephunter
11-27-2011, 09:39 AM
I think for those willing to work, the opportunity to take a 15 inch plus antelope is pretty good. I've had four tags in Alberta in the past 25 years. The first year I shot a 14 1/2 just because it was the first antelope I'd seen. The second time I shot a 16 5/8 that despite missing 1.5" on one tip still netted B&C and would have been around 85 had the tip not been broken. We'd actually seen him two days earlier with tip still intact. My buddy shot an 80" 15 7/8 buck on same trip. My next antelope was after a tough winter kill year and was just an average 15.5" buck and then my last one was the 21" wide 16 1/8 buck. We quite honestly walked past a 16" plus buck that was easily 82-83" to kill him.

No doubt things are going to be tough for a few years but we've had worse winter kills than this before and the antelope always seem to bounce back. 15-16" antelope likely are rare but far from impossible for those that do a little scouting.

packhuntr
11-27-2011, 09:41 AM
Im pickin up what your layin down Echo. Just curious was all, as we all still hear people talk about "looking for a 17 or 18 inch antelope". Unreal. I shake my head everytime I hear it, Ive never seen a 17, only in a couple pictures, and if guys open the B&C book, they will see that what they are talking about does not exist (as in there are very few ever killed in NA) Pretty funny stuff LOL. That goat of yours is a hog beyond words, congratulations. We need a big antelope thread to remember the fallen, you should start one up with and give uis pics of that thing. I wouldnt have one to contribute but id sure like to see some big Ab goats. Tough to get enough of em.

sheephunter
11-27-2011, 09:46 AM
Pack, 17", 18" and even longer antelope do exist in North America. While anything but common, they are not unicorns either. I have seen one 17" buck in Alberta and if you head to the southern states, it's frightening some of the bucks they are putting out. I'll see if I can dig up that picture from SCI show with a half dozen bucks over 17"

sheephunter
11-27-2011, 09:56 AM
Here's what I could quickly find. I know I've got a bunch more. I think the top buck in 19"

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h44/sheephunterab/DSC_0174.jpg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h44/sheephunterab/smallbuff2.jpg

packhuntr
11-27-2011, 08:55 PM
Pack, 17", 18" and even longer antelope do exist in North America. While anything but common, they are not unicorns either. I have seen one 17" buck in Alberta and if you head to the southern states, it's frightening some of the bucks they are putting out. I'll see if I can dig up that picture from SCI show with a half dozen bucks over 17"

With all the book antelope killed theres a handful of freakish things that did what antelope dont do. The top of the book holds some unbelievable stuff!! World class and blowing 90 inch takes thousands upon thousands and thousands more antelope to produce 1 and it only happens in the States with the antelope to do it and the management to produce em, OLD AGE. Love the pics, some unbelievable unreal stuff, couldnt imagine seeing some of that on the hoof. Wish I had the cash, south bound for a hog or 5 I would be!

elkhunter11
11-27-2011, 09:07 PM
Priority 7 ?.......... I'll be an old man by the time i shoot 2 more.......lo

My party didn't draw as a P8 this past year.

bushwackin
11-27-2011, 09:30 PM
In the early 90s we would see at least a half a dozen 16 inchers a year in 102. The odd one bigger than that too.

ishootbambi
11-27-2011, 09:35 PM
i gotta side with pack on this one. i live in the heart of goat country and have seen precious few in the 16 inch range. for the hundreds ive put a tape to....only one ever touched 17, and the other horn on it was 18. never seen anything like it. of course length isnt all that matters in score. that one came out about 83. for guys who dont live here and only hunt them once every 5 years....it seems odd that you would be tripping over 15s and 16s. most days a 15 stands out pretty good from the masses.

sheephunter
11-27-2011, 09:41 PM
=ishootbambi;1180367.it seems odd that you would be tripping over 15s and 16s. most days a 15 stands out pretty good from the masses.[I didn't see anyone say they were tripping over them but I've never gone home without one nor has anyone I've hunted with other than that first year when I didn't have a clue. You need to look at a lot of antelope but I think 15" is a pretty realistic goal.....most years....maybe not the next few.

When I killed my booner, there were two others in the same group over 16". I suspect one was 17" but he didn't have the mass and prongs of mine. I videod one three years ago after season had closed that was definitely in the mid '80s. They are out there but they do take a lot of looking and I'm an every five year guy....or ten year guy now.

NIKON
11-27-2011, 09:50 PM
If a guy did a goat hunt out of the States, where would be a good outfitter to check out?........... Anyone here ever make a trip south of the border for a trophy antelope hunt......

NIKON

sheephunter
11-27-2011, 09:53 PM
If a guy did a goat hunt out of the States, where would be a good outfitter to check out?........... Anyone here ever make a trip south of the border for a trophy antelope hunt......

NIKON

Really depends on how much you want to spend. The guys from Trophy Ridge in Wyoming are first class and start at about $1,500 I think. If you want a monster, Arizona is the place to go but you can spend $5k or more.

NIKON
11-27-2011, 09:58 PM
Really depends on how much you want to spend. The guys from Trophy Ridge in Wyoming are first class and start at about $1,500 I think. If you want a monster, Arizona is the place to go but you can spend $5k or more.

........ $1500 is very reasonable...... I'll check it out.... My hunting buddy and I have been tossing this idea around for sometime now..... Priority 8 isn't very appealing anymore..... lol

Thanks

Nikon

NIKON
11-27-2011, 10:31 PM
if only there was a spread credit for antelope. Lol 21" tip to tip

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/photos-ak-ash1/v129/11/53/667430399/n667430399_510620_9077.jpg

21 inches wide....... That things awsome

nikon

sheephunter
11-27-2011, 10:36 PM
21 inches wide....... That things awsome

nikon

Thanks! He was unique. He looks pretty cool on the wall.

Alberta Bigbore
11-27-2011, 11:04 PM
Congrats!!!!!!!

coldredneck
11-28-2011, 08:52 PM
My first ( and only ...so far) taken east of Manyberries in 03
14 7/8"
Spotted and put him to bed the night before opening.
Came back in pitch black of morning and there was a truck packed every 100yds. Got the father in law to stop and I grabbed my pack and rifle and walked straight in untill far enough to avoid getting shot at first light.
Found him and his harem shortly after legal light and made the shot at 425yds.
Walked out a couple hours later with the cape and meat, a lot of disappointed guys left for other areas. Lol