PDA

View Full Version : How thick should Ice be before walking on it

brian_edm
11-26-2011, 10:11 AM
Very anxious to get out Ice Fishing!!! how much ice is needed to be completely safe to walk out on?? I thought 6 inches would be about enough but I want to be absolutely certain before going out. Thanks

pikester
11-26-2011, 10:18 AM
There are many threads on this subject if you search it but yes 6" is more than enough to walk on; doesn't guarantee safety though so use caution! Springs, currents, & wind can all seriously affect ice thickness & integrity.

BGSH
11-26-2011, 10:29 AM
for walking i think 5 inches just to be safe, for driving i think it is 14 inches, but i would wait until 20 inches personally.

brian_edm
11-26-2011, 10:45 AM
Thanks
Guess i'm just getting anxious to get out there. Got a bunch of new gear i'm dying to try out :)

MoFugger21
11-26-2011, 11:40 AM
It really depends on personal preference and knowledge of the body of water you're fishing. For some people, 2" of clear ice on a familiar lake/pond is enough for them to walk out on, but some get freaked out with only 2". Others like to wait for 5-6" of ice before venturing out on foot.

And as pikester said, the larger # of inches doesn't necessarily guarantee safety. And that's were knowledge of the lake is good, so as to know where springs, currents, etc are that may weaken the strength of the ice.

You just have to be sure to drill pilot holes as you venture out to check ice thickness and be sure you're comfortable with it. Overall, be cautious and take safety precautions.

brian_edm
11-26-2011, 11:48 AM
Thank you very much for the information. I'll do a little research on the lakes i'm planning to fish before i head out. Seems no matter how much ice there is I still get a little freaked out when I hear the ice crack and snap lol. All part of the fun

Xiph0id
11-26-2011, 03:09 PM
You can walk on 2" I did earlier in the year.
I don't fish till 4" and dont worry after 6"
Like said though, know the lake.

kinwahkly
11-26-2011, 04:08 PM
I was out at Macgregor today3 inches if clear ice but by noon it was getting sketchy as the wind was cutting it pretty good so I left.

Kevin_Thunder
11-26-2011, 05:25 PM
Was out at devil's today. Thickness ranged from 3-2 inches of semi clear ice. No problems, but not ideal. The ice did crack and scare me a bit. Some guy on iceshanty said it was 6-10 inches, more like 6-10cm, it figures.

ak-71
11-26-2011, 05:39 PM
I walked on into 1 inch on home made skies, but it was so spooky that I didn't fish. After reading guidelines from different continents I'd say 4inches of "blue" ice and you are really safe - as long as it is 4 inch , as air bubbles, wind, current will make a weak ice anywhere. In the spring ice gets much weaker.
But I would go on 2 inches if it is shallow, close to shore and my car is close with a set of dry cloth. It's a judgment call I guess...

Crusty
11-26-2011, 06:53 PM
It's a call brains make. Obvious by some comments there is a bunch of not so bright people out there.:snapoutofit:

slivers86
11-26-2011, 06:59 PM
I say, attach a remote winch to your vehicle, and keep the remote in a waterproof bag. Attach the end of the winch to your body, and if you fall in hit the button, and 'reel' yourself in :)

ak-71
11-26-2011, 11:10 PM
I am sure you won't find anybody here who went through 4 inches of clear ice, but you'll sure find some people seating on their couches pulling facts out of their asses. Less then 4 inches if I go on ice - I plan as if I'm going through (hadn't yet though).

Xiph0id
11-26-2011, 11:46 PM
It's a call brains make. Obvious by some comments there is a bunch of not so bright people out there.:snapoutofit:

Not so much on here. Mostly people that you read about in the paper and such. Also keep in mind there are alot of variables when it comes to ice.

slivers86
11-27-2011, 01:26 AM
I am sure you won't find anybody here who went through 4 inches of clear ice, but you'll sure find some people seating on their couches pulling facts out of their asses. Less then 4 inches if I go on ice - I plan as if I'm going through (hadn't yet though).

I'd agree, or ice you're not sure about. I always check it a few feet out before venturing out on new ice. So far, 100% success rate.. I've only been out 4 times.

Don K
11-27-2011, 03:59 AM
Holy s**t you're brave souls! We used to wait for about 10". Might be overkill, but I only live once. Lol. Good luck ABD stay dry! :)

pickrel pat
11-27-2011, 06:34 AM
one time..... late 90"s..... went to joker lake between redearth and peace river...... early december...... no tracks on lake...... buddy drove onto lake and crossed to our hole..... anyway got there(across whole lake) ..... yep...... about 5 inches of ice! (ford ranger)....... needless to say i walked back to the landing.... never been so freaked out in my life! think it was elninoe....... 96 ish? just wow! now i drive!

Don K
11-27-2011, 08:51 AM
Wow!

anthony5
11-27-2011, 10:24 AM
Clear or Blue ice-2" walk safely, 3" group walking single file, 7.5" small car, 8" lite truck, 10" mid size truck, 12" heavy truck, 15" 10 tons. If you are in a hurry to get to your favorite spot with less than 12" of good ice you will create a wave under the ice at any speed over 25KM and your great spot will be occupied by other fishermen because you may go for a swim with vehicle and fishing gear!:sign0161:

BigDMoney
11-27-2011, 10:35 AM
Haha last year at jackfish some guys on the shore told us the ice was just over 1 foot deep. So we drove his duelly out there and drilled through to only find the ice being about 6 inches deep... A little bit sketchy drive to get the hell off the ice!