PDA

View Full Version : Pine Coulee report with pics coming

jacenbeers
11-26-2011, 07:06 PM
I fished with a friend today at PCR. We drove around the whole South end of the reservoir and it is all open water. By the bridge and all the way north it is frozen. We brought out the auger and the short rods and ventured onto the ice. It was realy solid in the southeast corner along the rocks. We managed 5 burbot, 5 walleye and a pike. This was my friend's first time fishing in Alberta and he managed all 3 species that the lake holds so it was a good day. I kept 4 burbot and I am learning how to prepare them for frying up.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-9CTOnFE9DQI/TtGa_IGhJzI/AAAAAAAAAWI/n1qRw1qw-Zw/s1600/sinkofburbs.jpg

BeeGuy
11-26-2011, 07:12 PM
Awesome, nice fatty on the left there.

I hit the afternoon bite with azn-rice-dude, and we managed a few burbs and walleye as well.

Couple of the local guys had a bucket full of burbs.

Thanks for the ice update J.

Wind was picking up pretty good...

jacenbeers
11-26-2011, 08:03 PM
It did get super windy out there for a while. Whenever it was windy we had no fish biting. I think when there was a current because of the wind, the fish left the bay.

Tht is great that you guys did well. Where did you go?

azn_rice_man
11-26-2011, 10:23 PM
It was a pretty decent trip, given the short time we were there! Thanks for the status updates, guys! :)

BeeGuy
11-26-2011, 11:55 PM
It did get super windy out there for a while. Whenever it was windy we had no fish biting. I think when there was a current because of the wind, the fish left the bay.

That is great that you guys did well. Where did you go?

We were basically fishing where the dock would normally be.

Saw some guys ice fishing at the bridge, 20 feet from open water.

It was pretty windy the whole time we were there, 3:15-4:30pm.

Saw about 5 landed in that time.

One guy caught a lawn chair, it was covered in hundreds of scuds and caddis larvae.

jacenbeers
11-27-2011, 02:33 AM
We were basically fishing where the dock would normally be.

Saw some guys ice fishing at the bridge, 20 feet from open water.

It was pretty windy the whole time we were there, 3:15-4:30pm.

Saw about 5 landed in that time.

One guy caught a lawn chair, it was covered in hundreds of scuds and caddis larvae.

That was us at the bridge 20 feet from open water.

BeeGuy
11-27-2011, 12:56 PM
That was us at the bridge 20 feet from open water.

How tic was the ice?

Wish I had known! I thought you guys would have been long gone by then.

jacenbeers
11-27-2011, 02:10 PM
In some spots it was 4 inches and others closer to 2. In that bay a lot of the ice had blown on top of other ice so it was pretty thick.

fishingmaster2097
11-27-2011, 02:20 PM
Where were you on the lake? im new on the forum...so...(please be kind). When youre driving on the bridge were you on the left side or on the right side? and what were u using to catch the burbs? I have caught walleye there before but never a burb or a pike...And were you right off the bottom for the burbs?

Thank you,

Fishing Master2097:)

azn_rice_man
11-27-2011, 03:39 PM
Welcome to the forum, dude!

I'm pretty new myself, but I've fished PCR a few times and it appears the burbs are found all around. Pikes, too. As for bait, if you do a quick search on burbot, I'm sure you'll find that anything with a heavy scent will attract it. Who knows, maybe PCR burbs might even like dirty laundry! :p

Have fun!

WayneChristie
11-27-2011, 03:50 PM
Where were you on the lake? im new on the forum...so...(please be kind). When youre driving on the bridge were you on the left side or on the right side? and what were u using to catch the burbs? I have caught walleye there before but never a burb or a pike...And were you right off the bottom for the burbs?

Thank you,

Fishing Master2097:)

welcome to the forum. I use the same smelt chunks I use for the walleye in PCR for the burbs, on a glow jig bounced on the bottom then left still for a while. At night, so you will have to wait til it opens for night season. But it looks like they are biting during the day now too so the same should work also. If you fish them at night make sure you have no light falling on the hole, it makes a big difference.

jacenbeers
11-27-2011, 06:51 PM
I was fishing on the right hand side of the bridge. We were doing just what Wayne said. The burbot were biting whenever it wasn't windy.

fishingmaster2097
11-27-2011, 07:35 PM
ok ill have to try it out, thank you guys!

hanayalator
11-28-2011, 09:07 AM
Nice! How do those taste? I've never had burbot.

jacenbeers
11-28-2011, 10:25 AM
I only know how it tasted boiled in salted water and dipped in garlic butter. It tastes like lobster.

aulrich
11-28-2011, 10:31 AM
welcome to the forum. I use the same smelt chunks I use for the walleye in PCR for the burbs, on a glow jig bounced on the bottom then left still for a while. At night, so you will have to wait til it opens for night season. But it looks like they are biting during the day now too so the same should work also. If you fish them at night make sure you have no light falling on the hole, it makes a big difference.

Why for the no light falling on the hole

BeeGuy
11-28-2011, 10:53 AM
Nice! How do those taste? I've never had burbot.

It is essentially like cod.

Mild flavour, and firm, succulent white meat.

iliketrout
11-28-2011, 11:09 AM
It's also very good if you get a box of tempura mix from T&T supermarket and fry it.

WayneChristie
11-28-2011, 12:30 PM
Why for the no light falling on the hole

My lady and I fished it one night last winter, I caught fish all night long. She caught one or two. Next night we went back, same spot, same bait, same time. She was catching the fish 9 to 1 so I looked around, only thing that was different was that this time I had the light pointed at my hole instead, soon as I moved it off the hole I started outfishing her again, the way it should be :bad_boys_20: Light back on the hole, they shut off again like I didnt even have a line down. This was in about 35 feet of water, so Id say they have very little light tolerance, but then thats probably the reason they feed a lot more at night or in very dirty water. just my observations.

aulrich
11-28-2011, 03:22 PM
Figured it was either that or the legality side of it (using light to attract.

Now I know how to sabotage skunkboy when he decided to outfish me.

WayneChristie
11-28-2011, 05:50 PM
Figured it was either that or the legality side of it (using light to attract.

Now I know how to sabotage skunkboy when he decided to outfish me.

yah I wish I hadnt mentioned it to her, could come in handy when she starts to outfish me.

slivers86
11-29-2011, 09:14 PM
Just out today, fishing from shore, only place there is any ice, is near the bridge on the highway, and there, sadly, it looks very thing and sketchy. Myself and bee just kept driving and thankfully had a couple rods setup to land some burbs :)

BeeGuy
11-29-2011, 11:50 PM
Just out today, fishing from shore, only place there is any ice, is near the bridge on the highway, and there, sadly, it looks very thing and sketchy. Myself and bee just kept driving and thankfully had a couple rods setup to land some burbs :)

dont forget I landed a keeper lawn chair too!!

npauls
11-29-2011, 11:55 PM
Damn, I was wanting to punch some holes there tomorrow with a buddy.

Might have to head out there with the open water gear and chuck some jigs or slip bobbers and see how we do.

It is either that or head to the pass and see about punching holes or chucking flies on the crow.

Don K
11-30-2011, 12:22 AM
I want to head there with my kids (4 & 8) and give it a try. Is it pretty good through the ice too. Everything I've read on here points to it being great when ice off. My daughter loves when we go to N Sask, walleye one after another, but here she doesn't have the same attention span.

WayneChristie
11-30-2011, 07:24 AM
I want to head there with my kids (4 & 8) and give it a try. Is it pretty good through the ice too. Everything I've read on here points to it being great when ice off. My daughter loves when we go to N Sask, walleye one after another, but here she doesn't have the same attention span.

It can be slower through the ice, you may only catch 50 or 60 instead of 5 or 6 hundred :) if you can stick it out til the sun starts to go down, the burbs really start feeding heavy, and there are still lots of walleye around.

Don K
11-30-2011, 05:10 PM
It can be slower through the ice, you may only catch 50 or 60 instead of 5 or 6 hundred :) if you can stick it out til the sun starts to go down, the burbs really start feeding heavy, and there are still lots of walleye around.

Thanks! We'll wait for the ice and go enjoy a weekend!
:):)

azn_rice_man
12-01-2011, 07:12 PM
Any further updates on PCR ice?

WayneChristie
12-01-2011, 07:14 PM
Any further updates on PCR ice?

cold, slippery, the usual.

azn_rice_man
12-01-2011, 10:25 PM
cold, slippery, the usual.

Is there still open water in the south end?

slivers86
12-01-2011, 10:50 PM
yes, as of 48 hrs ago

azn_rice_man
12-01-2011, 11:42 PM
yes, as of 48 hrs ago

Awesome. Thanks, dude.