PDA

View Full Version : Elk brow tine develops?

imer
11-26-2011, 08:16 PM
Hello, out on an elk hunting trip and trying to figure out how the stages of development for elk antlers go. Our main question that is the basis for this interest is: if a bull elk has 2 points up top does it mean that he will have a brow tine making him a legal 3pt bull?

Is there a rule of thumb for this? I know that a single spiker who would be a 1.5 yr old bull won't have a brow tine. So when does that brow tine grow?

Thanks

sheephunter
11-26-2011, 08:33 PM
Two point elk are very rare...not unheard of but rare.

Pudelpointer
11-26-2011, 08:47 PM
Usually having two (main beam and a point) means there is a brow as well. However, there may not be. Usually a 1.5 year old bull will be a spike, a 2.5 y/o will be a 3 point, a 3.5 y/o bull a 5 point.

But I have seen 1.5 y/o 3 points as well as 2.5 y/o spikes and 5 points. I've seen 1.5 y/o bulls that have big spikes with multiple points at the end of them.

Nothing is certain with antler growth.

walking buffalo
11-26-2011, 08:53 PM
Nothing is certain with antler growth.

That's the only rule in antler growth....

Do not shoot an elk in a three point zone when you can only confirm two points. Hunt by that rule of Thumb....

I had a two X two at five yards last year. No matter how I tried, a third point did not exist....

Outcast
11-27-2011, 11:23 AM
I don't think that this can be looked at in a defining way.

2 points may be rare in some zones but in the large area I hunt I see roughly half and half 2 points and spikes. My experience would be that these are the 1.5 year olds. In my 20 plus years of elk hunting experience i have seen two 3 points. My opinion 3 points are the rarest.

Of the 15 or so bulls that we sent in, all of which were 5 points, back when they were aging them by incisor bar 90 % were 2.5 year olds with the others 3.5 year olds.

Not scientific but what I know.

tony d
11-27-2011, 12:29 PM
I think you are better off looking for the browtine first 98% of he time if its got a browtine its legal just my 2 pennies

Outcast
11-27-2011, 12:34 PM
I think you are better off looking for the browtine first 98% of he time if its got a browtine its legal just my 2 pennies
Bingo!

diamonddave
11-28-2011, 10:05 AM
This last season I watched a 2 spike bull at 40 yards. I would estimate his total height be just about 3 feet. But the two points were at the tip, the fork was about 10 inches but no brow tines...... Very frustrating!!!

Mike_W
11-28-2011, 10:52 AM
Here is a skull from a young bull that I found....my guess was someone shot him thinking he would have a third point.
During legal light you should be able to see the brow if its there....no sence in making assumptions.

matathonman
11-28-2011, 11:24 AM
Here is a skull from a young bull that I found....my guess was someone shot him thinking he would have a third point.
During legal light you should be able to see the brow if its there....no sence in making assumptions.

Had a bull 8 yrd from my blind just like that one except had a brow only 2.5 to 2 3/4 " long. Told the wife a lot of people out there probably would've poked him and would have some explaining to do maybe. So close yet so far...was almost her first arrowed elk

BigRackLover
11-28-2011, 01:03 PM

that makes me feel better cause I called one into 25 meters this year in a 3pt zone. I'd just finished telling my Dad (my hosted hunter) that if the "Y" is on top, it's most likely a legal bull (but always check). Not 10 minutes later ... in comes a 2 pt :sign0176:

I had a two X two at five yards last year. No matter how I tried, a third point did not exist....

I know that exact feeling.:sign0176:

That sounds good ... all though you usually see the top of the rack first when they are coming through cover. In the end ... you need all three so best to check all three.

Huntnut
11-28-2011, 03:15 PM
Hello, out on an elk hunting trip and trying to figure out how the stages of development for elk antlers go. Our main question that is the basis for this interest is: if a bull elk has 2 points up top does it mean that he will have a brow tine making him a legal 3pt bull?

Is there a rule of thumb for this? I know that a single spiker who would be a 1.5 yr old bull won't have a brow tine. So when does that brow tine grow?

Thanks

I've seen 3 differant 2 point elk this year. Don't assume that it has the brow tine.

bessiedog
11-28-2011, 04:13 PM
so.... i can shoot cows and calfs witha bow... but no go on the spikes and two points?
The last two bulls inhave drawn on wound up being just spikes.... why is this rule? can someone explain it to me?

Lefty-Canuck
11-28-2011, 04:15 PM
I have seen many 2 point elk on game farms....young spike bulls with only "devil pitch forks"...(just like the pic Mike_W posted)...like someone said make sure you count 3 before you drop the hammer....only way to be sure.

LC

Elkaholic523
11-28-2011, 06:44 PM
I see on average ten to fifteen two pints every year not that uncommon up here at all good food good jeans

Jamie
11-28-2011, 09:27 PM

Really!!!!!
I must have the best luck then. Seems I spend a ton of time trying to make them grow a 3rd point.

Elk hate me....

BUT NOT THIS YEAR!!!!!!

I need to spend more time chasing elk.

Jamie

Elkaholic523
11-29-2011, 10:00 AM
I've seen probably a thousand elk in the last five years I think I've only seen a few 1.5 year old elk that where legal 1.5 years old there a spike or two point at 2.5 there a small 4/4 or 5/5 then at 3.5 there a big 5/5 or small 6/6