PDA

View Full Version : Please, Show some class, hunters.

Don Meredith
11-27-2011, 09:18 AM
I wouldn't normally comment about this as I used to think it was just a one-off: some new hunter not really understanding how to process his kill.
That's what I thought when I first saw a whole, field dressed but un-skinned and un-quartered, moose being delivered to a meat processor a few years ago. On that day I was delivering clean meat scraps to be processed into hamburger from a moose we had harvested (and butchered ourselves). I knew this particular processor wasn't keen on cutting game but because we were long-time customers, and we always provided clean cut-up meat, he gladly took our order. But these guys was backing up a trailer with a whole moose on it, requesting it be processed. Well, the lady taking the order told those guys they first had to skin it and cut off the hooves and head before they would even look at it. She shook her head when she took my order and told me it was no wonder the owner wanted out of the wild game business.

Yesterday, I saw it once again, at a different meat processor we were using for a deer I had harvested on Friday. This time a hunter was backing up a flat-bed trailer with a whole bull moose and bull elk (again, field dressed but that's all) with hide, fur, hooves, head and antlers intact. We were in line behind this guy with three or four other hunters with game to process. When the owner saw we had a properly dressed (skinned, de-hoofed and clean) carcass, he put us ahead in line while he ordered his staff indoors to drop what they were doing, and go outside to properly prepare the carcasses for processing: i.e., skin them, cut off the heads, hooves, clean the carcasses of hair, and quarter them. All that had to be done before he was going to hang the carcass next to properly cleaned ones in his facility.

It was embarrassing to see. If you are going to be a hunter, please learn the proper way to get your game ready for processing. It's hard enough these days to find meat processors willing to handle game. Their regulations are strict enough and those who are willing to do so are doing hunters a service they don't really have to do. I'm sure these hunters paid a premium price for the extra work the staff had to do, and the extra expense at having to clean tools and clothes used while the skinning and cutting-up was done.

Please, for the sake of all of us, learn how to handle your game after it is down. Take the time and show some class.

There, rant over.

Don

fatboyz
11-27-2011, 09:45 AM
I just picked up some sausage from Rocky meats yesterday. LOTS of un skinned deer and moose coming in. He has a special this yr for skinning deer $9.99. His thoughts were that it's less work buthering if they do the skinning and keep the carcasses real clean. The differance there is that they are a licensed abatoirre that kill live animals every week so handling unskinned carcasses is no big deal. The trucks were lined up dropping off unskinned deer yesterday!

Don K
11-27-2011, 09:45 AM
Not quite sure that's classless??

I always take my stuff in at least quartered and skinned in game bags, but usually boned out in totes.
I know some processors charge a fee ($75 at one place I know), and will gladly do it for the 5-10 minutes it takes... Once I asked and the butcher said he actually PREFERS to skin the animal as there's less hair on the carcass and the meat has been kept covered up for all intents. A little different if it's frozen rock hard...
A lot of butchers have gotten out of the wild game processing because of the rules regarding the disposal of the carcass, the reason I always try to take the meat in already boned out.

There's dozens of things that I'd say are much more classless than that, and not sure it warrants a verbal berating? But I guess that's the point of the forum, to air a guys thoughts.

I'd say most importantly it's best to establish a relationship with a butcher, find out what he likes and dislikes, and keep him happy. There are guys closing their doors (and new ones opening up), so it's important to have a butcher and a happy one at that!

Swolf
11-27-2011, 09:53 AM
Not sure if that is classless.

What I do know is that when you work in the service industry you have to make it easy for people to do business with you. If this particular butcher will not remove the hide another butcher around the corner will see an opportunity, to grow his business, at the expense of the competition.

Just a thought.

grind stone
11-27-2011, 09:53 AM
You know it doesn’t sound all the bad really only a couple of miss guided souls to lazy to do there job cleaning the animal up before bringing it in only to be rejected at the door I would say lesson learned .
I do all my work at home these days the only problem I have is no shop wants to pass on there recipes for sausage what’s a guy to do.
Meat shops could put up a few signs must be cleaned etc. before accepted

jungleboy
11-27-2011, 09:57 AM
My Deer are always skinned and bagged as close to the kill sight as possible. I don't keep the hide and i don't want to have to do deal with ti at home. The legs are removed at the knees there too . When it gets home all I have to deal with is the head and tail. But I process my own meat so I am well aware of what is acceptable to the butcher guy and what isn't.:)

I would never take my game to a butcher again.I did that when I first started hunting and quickly decided I was better off doing it myself.That way I always know that the meat I have at the end of the day is the meat I put my tag on in the field.

dmac
11-27-2011, 10:00 AM
Don, cannot agree with you.

The processor I use is quite happy collecting additional $$ for skinning out animals. He told me that himself. So if a customer is happy to pay and the processor is happy to collect, what's the problem?

Coltye
11-27-2011, 10:12 AM
dmac i think you hit the nail on the head,if a hunter is willing to pay and the butcher has no problem doing it,whats the problem.Or does it **** you off cause it takes longer for your meat to get done,cause the butcher is skinning animals.

sheephunter
11-27-2011, 10:14 AM
I must admit that I know a few butchers that have no issue with whole, unskinned carcasses. I guess not every hunter has the facilities to hang a whole moose or elk for skinning and by leaving the hide on, it's a convenient way to keep the carcass and meat clean until delivered to the butcher.

I agree Don that no one should ever take a whole carcass to the butcher without first checking to see if they indeed accept them. But if they do, I don't see a big deal.

Don Meredith
11-27-2011, 10:20 AM
Well, I guess that wasn't the way I was taught, i.e., take care of your game from field to table. Sure, a butcher may do a better job cutting and processing but I've always felt (and those with whom I've hunted have felt) that you should get the cleanest meat possible to him to ensure 1) a good product and 2) a safe product. I guess that message has changed over the years but I've also noticed how these particular butchers have reacted to unskinned game. I can't help but feel they would do a better job on meat that has been properly prepared for processing.

209x50
11-27-2011, 10:23 AM
It used to be that all the butchers offered and charged for skinning. It was profitable for them.

deanmc
11-27-2011, 10:37 AM
Looks like another "Everyone should be just like me thread".

greylynx
11-27-2011, 10:54 AM
Well, I guess that wasn't the way I was taught, i.e., take care of your game from field to table. Sure, a butcher may do a better job cutting and processing but I've always felt (and those with whom I've hunted have felt) that you should get the cleanest meat possible to him to ensure 1) a good product and 2) a safe product. I guess that message has changed over the years but I've also noticed how these particular butchers have reacted to unskinned game. I can't help but feel they would do a better job on meat that has been properly prepared for processing.

x2
I believe it is the way we are taught on how to handle game.

BigBuck$
11-27-2011, 12:51 PM
Ya, I think you might be better to leave the hide on when transporting in the last couple of days anyways. At least it would keep some of the road slop off the meat. It would be pretty tough to cool anything off when its this warm out though.

conner
11-27-2011, 12:56 PM

X2

I do alot myself, but the place I take mine wants to do the skining themselves,cleaner,split properly,and of course $

thrude1
11-27-2011, 01:03 PM
i work part time at a processor ,we take game that has been skinned and those not skinned get charged $25.00 to skin it and properly wash it down often the ones that come in skinned are full of hair ,leaves etc and we end up cleaning it off before butchering (for $25.00) either way. but please dispose of your carcasses properly, not in the ditch of a road so all the antis can whine about those poor critters, if you can take the time to harvest it you can take the time to dispose the remains as well. I see carcasses scattered all over highways and back roads everyday
show some respect

just_dave
11-27-2011, 01:56 PM
Some people do hack jobs at skinning. It's sometimes better left to a pro.

Arn?Narn.
11-27-2011, 02:48 PM
I wouldn't normally comment about this as I used to think it was just a one-off: some new hunter not really understanding how to process his kill.
That's what I thought when I first saw a whole, field dressed but un-skinned and un-quartered, moose being delivered to a meat processor a few years ago. On that day I was delivering clean meat scraps to be processed into hamburger from a moose we had harvested (and butchered ourselves). I knew this particular processor wasn't keen on cutting game but because we were long-time customers, and we always provided clean cut-up meat, he gladly took our order. But these guys was backing up a trailer with a whole moose on it, requesting it be processed. Well, the lady taking the order told those guys they first had to skin it and cut off the hooves and head before they would even look at it. She shook her head when she took my order and told me it was no wonder the owner wanted out of the wild game business.

Yesterday, I saw it once again, at a different meat processor we were using for a deer I had harvested on Friday. This time a hunter was backing up a flat-bed trailer with a whole bull moose and bull elk (again, field dressed but that's all) with hide, fur, hooves, head and antlers intact. We were in line behind this guy with three or four other hunters with game to process. When the owner saw we had a properly dressed (skinned, de-hoofed and clean) carcass, he put us ahead in line while he ordered his staff indoors to drop what they were doing, and go outside to properly prepare the carcasses for processing: i.e., skin them, cut off the heads, hooves, clean the carcasses of hair, and quarter them. All that had to be done before he was going to hang the carcass next to properly cleaned ones in his facility.

It was embarrassing to see. If you are going to be a hunter, please learn the proper way to get your game ready for processing. It's hard enough these days to find meat processors willing to handle game. Their regulations are strict enough and those who are willing to do so are doing hunters a service they don't really have to do. I'm sure these hunters paid a premium price for the extra work the staff had to do, and the extra expense at having to clean tools and clothes used while the skinning and cutting-up was done.

Please, for the sake of all of us, learn how to handle your game after it is down. Take the time and show some class.

There, rant over.

Don

To be devils advocate.... If the staff did skin and prepare the carcass for butchering, then are they not offering the service the guy expected?

I know several butchers who do this and have the prices listed for skinning, deboning, etc etc.

My butcher doesnt cut and wrap so my stuff goes in deboned for sausage, but if a guy showed up with a quartered animal, bones in and skinned, I don't think he can be blamed if he doesn't know the butcher doesn't cut and wrap or debone....

Again, just having the discussion

Desert_Faux
11-27-2011, 03:02 PM
Any butchers in the Leduc/South Edmonton/Wetaskiwin area that skin deer??

Every butcher I have ever been to (only 3 actually :scared:) Will NOT take any game that hasn't been de-hoofed and skinned before bringing it in. I actually like this part of the process, so not a big deal.....

BUT! If there is a local butcher here who will do it, and keep it cleaner than I do (hair, etc) I would be GLAD to pay $25 to get it done!

Any leads? :)

mulecrazy
11-27-2011, 04:00 PM

X3
NO KIDDING.

wow people. just wow.

wolfkiller
11-27-2011, 04:24 PM
I agree with Don. Pretty pathetic if you cant skin and look after your animal properly. Than you guys wonder why no quality butcher wants to process wild game, how fun would that be skinning some city dudes gut shot animal out. No excuse to not learn how to do it, i was skinning coyotes when i was 10. My 2 cents. Rant over.

Arn?Narn.
11-27-2011, 05:19 PM
I agree with Don. Pretty pathetic if you cant skin and look after your animal properly. Than you guys wonder why no quality butcher wants to process wild game, how fun would that be skinning some city dudes gut shot animal out. No excuse to not learn how to do it, i was skinning coyotes when i was 10. My 2 cents. Rant over.

Lots of fun if you are getting paid for it...:snapoutofit:

sheephunter
11-27-2011, 06:04 PM
but I've always felt (and those with whom I've hunted have felt) that you should get the cleanest meat possible to him to ensure 1) a good product and 2) a safe product. I guess that message has changed over the years .

I'm not sure the message has changed. I suspect the guys with the whole elk and moose were striving for the same thing. Sometimes the methods may vary but the results are the same. I'm sure they'll end up with some great meat too! Two different ways to do something. Neither is wrong.

HunterDave
11-27-2011, 06:17 PM
Keeping the hide on is a great way to keep the meat clean. I'd have to be in a huge rush to pay someone to skin the hide and dispose of the bones for me but I would if I had to.

Cal
11-27-2011, 06:31 PM
I kinda think guys who take their meat in for anything at all, are *******, its the game processing equivilent of truck hunting. Cutting, grinding, sausage, jerkey, you wanna be a hunter then learn to do it yourself.... BUT take note this is the first time I've voiced this oppinion and only now to ilustrate a point. You wont find me starting threads calling people lazy slobs for

"On that day I was delivering clean meat scraps to be processed into hamburger"

"Yesterday, I saw it once again, at a different meat processor we were using for a deer I had harvested on Friday"

and then post this to top it all off

"Well, I guess that wasn't the way I was taught, i.e., take care of your game from field to table."

Now I dont think much of letting a butcher cut your deer but I'm not going to call anyone out on it, maby some others should have more tollerance.

sureshot
11-27-2011, 06:44 PM
Very classless post. It's crap like this that is pushing a lot of people away form this site. I for one am to the point I don't want to be a member here anymore either. Instead of sticking together everyone jumps at the first chance they get to bash someone no matter how petty it is. Some people on here really need to grow up. What kind of example are we setting for the younger members of the forum.

Grow up and give your head a shake.

Andy

wolfkiller
11-27-2011, 06:49 PM
So for example you shoot a moose in mid sept. And you left the hide on till you got it to a butcher ? Possibly 24 hrs later,,,lmao. That meat would be green, now thats tasty meat and a responsible hunter right there, give your head a shake.

sheephunter
11-27-2011, 06:51 PM
So for example you shoot a moose in mid sept. And you left the hide on till you got it to a butcher ? Possibly 24 hrs later,,,lmao. That meat would be green, now thats tasty meat and a responsible hunter right there, give your head a shake.

This is November though ;)

Obviously conditions dictate.

wolfkiller
11-27-2011, 06:54 PM
Yeah for sure. Each to there own method, hate seeing wasted game cause it wasnt processed properly, seen it lots at my local butcher shops.

ruger300
11-27-2011, 06:56 PM
Hide holds a lot of heat, might as well wrap your game in plastic after its been killed. I for one would not want an once of any game that had the hide left on it all the way back to the butchers. Me and my buddies got some wierd looks at wainwright the last time we were there when we showed up at the hunter checkin with our deer dress and wrapped in game bags. Whatever... if your gonna do a job, do it right and get it done.

ruger300

Cal
11-27-2011, 07:04 PM
Hide holds a lot of heat, might as well wrap your game in plastic after its been killed. I for one would not want an once of any game that had the hide left on it all the way back to the butchers. Me and my buddies got some wierd looks at wainwright the last time we were there when we showed up at the hunter checkin with our deer dress and wrapped in game bags. Whatever... if your gonna do a job, do it right and get it done.

ruger300

x2 on this, skinning a warm deer is about 75% easyer. Idealy I skin it at least the same day I shoot it, let it cool the night, then shrink wrap it to keep it from drying out while it hangs. Only ever left one deer untill the next day and I wont do it again, makes the job at least 3x harder.

sheephunter
11-27-2011, 07:05 PM

ruger300

I leave hide on for a week or more when it's cool out...I've never had an issue. Prop the chest cavity open and they cool quickly. I actually prefer leaving the hide on because the meat stays clean and doesn't dry out. When you finally skin it, it's like it's freshly killed. I do, however, take the windpipe out right away...it rots fast. Two approaches to the same result ;)

ruger300
11-27-2011, 07:08 PM
Hence the use of game bags. Keeps the meat clean, allows proper cooling and keeps the outer "skin" from drying out. Lot easier to skin critters when they're warm I've found.

ruger300

sheephunter
11-27-2011, 07:10 PM
Hence the use of game bags. Keeps the meat clean, allows proper cooling and keeps the outer "skin" from drying out. Lot easier to skin critters when they're warm I've found.

ruger300

I always seem to have meat dry out in game bags. Not sure about easier skinning...maybe....seem easy enough this way though so no big deal to me. Two methods for good steaks in the end.

Supermag
11-27-2011, 07:56 PM
I just skinned my moose quarters from last Sunday's kill, and 2 deer from yesterday. The moose quarters were a bit frozen, and were a real bit$h to skin! Nice pink meat from the young bull though! mmmmmmm!

Off to the butcher tomorrow for one of everything!!

Lefty-Canuck
11-27-2011, 07:59 PM
I leave hide on for a week or more when it's cool out...I've never had an issue. Prop the chest cavity open and they cool quickly. I actually prefer leaving the hide on because the meat stays clean and doesn't dry out. When you finally skin it, it's like it's freshly killed. I do, however, take the windpipe out right away...it rots fast. Two approaches to the same result ;)

I thought you did gutless method SH? Why leave the skin on? :)

Here is the thing about this thread...I am eating my meat and not yours so I will process things I know how to do it, and you will do it your way....in the end like what Cal was saying I am not about to call anyone out for what they do. Bottom line is some guys know how to do things and some guys haven't learned (or don't care to learn)...and THATS OK...

Like some folks do their own mechanic work and some don't depending on the level of one's knowledge in the area.

Some butcher's love the little extra work because it means more $$ in their pocket, heck I will skin deer for $25 each (not cape out, skin)just send me a pm but you have to drop off and pick it up.

LC

sheephunter
11-27-2011, 08:02 PM
I thought you did gutless method SH? Why leave the skin on? :)

LC

If I'm packing I definitely use the gutless method but if I can back a truck up to it, it goes in whole. Much easier and typcally warmer to deal with it hanging at home but it's not always practical to move it whole. I'm a more diverse kinda guy than you think ;)

Lefty-Canuck
11-27-2011, 08:06 PM
If I'm packing I definitely use the gutless method but if I can back a truck up to it, it goes in whole. Much easier and typcally warmer to deal with it hanging at home but it's not always practical to move it whole. I'm a more diverse kinda guy than you think ;)

LOL....too funny I remember distinctly having this same discussion with you where I said exactly what you did above....but somehow you had decided I should have been doing it gutless :)

LC

sheephunter
11-27-2011, 08:09 PM
LOL....too funny I remember distinctly having this same discussion with you where I said exactly what you did above....but somehow you had decided I should have been doing it gutless :)

LC

LOL...I doubt I decided you should have been doing anything.

Lefty-Canuck
11-27-2011, 08:10 PM
LOL...I doubt I decided you should have been doing anything.

It's ok I forgive you apology accepted....:sHa_sarcasticlol:

LC

sheephunter
11-27-2011, 08:14 PM
It's ok I forgive you apology accepted....:sHa_sarcasticlol:

LC

Thanks, you have no idea what that means ;)

Now can we get back to our regularly scheduled programing.

ditch donkey
11-27-2011, 08:14 PM
After I started my buisness, I took my papers into the accountant for my first year end. Not in a shoe box, but not much better. After I appologised to her for the state of my books, she assured me appologies were not in order, and that for $60 an hour, she would be happy to have someone organize the mess before she looked at them.

Was that classless? I don't think so, but the next year I took them in much more orderly fashion.

The butcher is in the service industry, and he can easily turn away customers, or accomodate them. I would say it would be quite classless to show up with a whole carcass complete from hoof to horns, which I think is a little out of the ordinary, and then throw a fit for being turned away. A phone call with a heads up, should be expected.

In the end, to each their own. Both on the hunters, and butchers end. Neither one has any obligation to the other.

209x50
11-27-2011, 08:41 PM
I've skinned cut and wrapped every animal I've ever shot in north America. I'm happiest if I can leave the hide on for a couple of days if possible and I've never lost any meat. People get wound up over the strangest things. Do what makes you happy people.

ishootbambi
11-27-2011, 08:44 PM
Very classless post. It's crap like this that is pushing a lot of people away form this site. I for one am to the point I don't want to be a member here anymore either. Instead of sticking together everyone jumps at the first chance they get to bash someone no matter how petty it is. Some people on here really need to grow up. What kind of example are we setting for the younger members of the forum.

Grow up and give your head a shake.

Andy

im finding myself in a similar opinion. i would expect more from the op. this holier than thou garbage is getting pretty stale.

Springer
11-27-2011, 09:33 PM
I have to agree with the guys that believe in getting the hide off a big animal like Moose or Elk. The hide holds in a lot heat for a long time. A butcher many years ago showed me the mistake of not only taking the hide off but quartering the animal , especially the neck.

To each their own , I just try to make mine the best table fare as possible and bone sour is not something i want to deal with.

sheephunter
11-27-2011, 09:35 PM
A butcher many years ago showed me the mistake of not only taking the hide off but quartering the animal , especially the neck..

The windpipe rots in absolutely no time so that could have been the issue. It's critical to get it out right away.

ishootbambi
11-27-2011, 09:36 PM
To each their own , I just try to make mine the best table fare as possible and bone sour is not something i want to deal with.

that can make you pretty sick. fortunately its awful tough to miss.

savage shooter
11-27-2011, 09:41 PM
Sounds like Don is the one with the problem.

Red Bullets
11-28-2011, 01:19 AM
Might I offer a method of skinning a deer in minutes. This method will work great provided you have not shot out a shoulder too bad(broken bones). The deer should be gutted already.
NOT to be used if caping for shoulder mount.
1) Hang your deer up by the head. If it is a buck ,by the antlers , if a doe..around the neck. You can hang the deer from anything strong enough to withstand a tug.
2)Now cut only the hide all the way around the neck close to the skull.
3) Then make an incision down the throat side of the neck to the opened body cavity.
4) now make incisions around each leg close to the ankles and down each leg from the ankle to the open body cavity.

5) Now take and peel down a few inches of the deer hide from the back of the neck until your have enough to tie around an item of any kind into the pulled away skin. Use a twenty foot rope.

6) Now... tie the other end of the rope to your quad or vehicle and slowly drive away. Provided you tied up the head securely the hide will come off as fast as you drive away. But go slowly. *Have faith... the deer will not tear in half.

7) you now have a totally clean carcass free of hair or debris.
You can bag it in cheesecloth or do as you choose. Hang the carcass up or deliver it to the butcher/processor.

Make sure to cut away any wound or hemorage to prevent contamination of surrounding meat.

I have used this method for years and it saves knive blades, cut fingers, time and mostly sweat. The carcasses are so nice and clean of hair, debris, and knife-knicks. It might sound like alot but it really only takes a few minutes. Shouldn't take more than 10 to 15 minutes.

npauls
11-28-2011, 02:03 AM
I remember seeing a video of this on youtube. The guy used a golf ball under the hide to tie around with the rope and it did look like a really slick way of doing it.

I think I might give this method a try if I get everything together and can get a deer next season.

fordtruckin
11-28-2011, 02:48 AM
All the processors I called this fall actually prefer if you leave the hide on and don't care about the head horns or hoofs. I fail to see how its Classless... To each their own I guess. Remember many people don't have the time or $$ to buy all the precessing equipment. Oh well...

Springer
11-28-2011, 05:18 AM
The windpipe rots in absolutely no time so that could have been the issue. It's critical to get it out right away.

Actually what i was shown was the Butcher cut down through the back of the neck and asked me to insert my hand and feel the warmth left inside..This was a day later with the hide off.

On another note kind of related , i dont know of anyone in Red Deer that hangs game in a cooler so i hope to construct my own on wheels before next fall. It is always a pain worrying about the game hanging in to warm of weather in the garage.

Big Daddy Badger
11-28-2011, 07:57 AM
Wasn't there a thread here regarding butcher shops that wouldn't accept deer unless the hide was on a while back?
Something about SRD questioning how they knew whether or not species and tag agreed?

Just wondering.

I cut and process my own so I don't have to pay for someone else to do what I can do and...because I don't want my meat hanging alongside other peoples dirty uncleaned carcasses.

iliketrout
11-28-2011, 08:28 AM
To the OP, I read your column every month and always find it well-informed and a good read. That being said, what you have proposed is quite the opposite of your typical columns in the magazine.

I've cut and wrapped deer before. I learned how to do it, and enjoyed it as I learned the proper methods, where the good cuts are, and which parts are better off as jerky or ground.

I now choose to take my harvested animals to the butcher and in doing so, I leave the hide on for transportation. Why - it keeps the meat cleaner and the butcher I use offers it as a service for a small fee and does not mind doing it. I would hazard a guess that he would rather the hide left on to keep the meat cleaner, but I have never asked him to confirm this. He won't hang an animal in the wild game area until it is clean and safe to do so. If the butcher is offerring it as a service and makes a few extra bucks for it, I'm happy to support him.

To suggest, as you have done, that a hunter delivering an unskinned animal to the butcher doesn't know how to properly look after his kill, is baseless. There are many reasons why a knowledgeable and skilled hunter would take an unskinned animal to the butcher. Painting everyone with the same broad brush is the classless act here.

winged1
11-28-2011, 08:53 AM
I skin, butcher, cook, and eat, but that's because I'm a cheap sob. If I had more disposible income, I'd shoot and eat, letting someone else do the cleaning/butchering. It's kind of like the guiding industry where clients fish/shoot, then take home thier packaged product. When we go goose hunting, we dress our birds, but the family who run the local hardware store have a half dozen pluckers they employ during the season, and thier rates make us look like fools.

The Bit Runner.
11-28-2011, 11:39 AM

There, rant over.

Don

I have only used 4 different butchers over the last 25 years of hunting, as i do almost all my own cutting and wrapping as i enjoy it and like to do it. Me and my wife and 4 daughters will wip through a deer in no time.

But what i will say is when i dont have the time going back to work ect i take it to the butcher. I am here to tell you that any one of the 4 butchers i have used would just send me home if i pulled in the drive way with a whole deer or moose,elk unskined. Actually i was in a hurry one time and did not do the proper job that i should of ( just a kid yet) and the animal had a bunch of hair on it. I was told to go home clean it proper before he would even concider taking it.

I am amazed that you can find a butcher that you can just drive too with a moose on the back and say here it is, here is my hunting info,give me a call when its done.:snapoutofit:

I am not saying what is right or wrong cause there are so many different circumstances with each animal but i am willing to bet that if you are just dropping it off like that, you are just lazy 90% of the time or maybe you just do not know how to do it properly and couldnt be bothered to learn. Each to there own i guess.

Maybe someone should put a poll up on this, with a simple question,

When you take your harvested animal to the butcher do you take it in clean,skinned,with no hair on it ect, Basically go from your truck to the meat hooks. The answers are a simple YES or No.

I have a feeling that there are very few people on this fourm that would take there animal in not ready to go onto the hooks but i could be wrong.:)

BigRackLover
11-28-2011, 12:57 PM
When I donated a deer this year through the food bank donation program, the hotline stated "some meat processors will want the hide on, others off - so please call ahead to check". I was shocked. I've never seen or considered bringing an animal to a meat processor with the hide on. It was surprising.

Okotokian
11-28-2011, 01:23 PM
I'm pretty new to using a processor, having taken my first deer in just yesterday. Have done previous ones myself with friends. I'm not quite sure what the issue is here. I phoned around. Each processor quoted me a price to skin, etc if I had them do it. The prices were between $50 and $100 extra per animal. Not sure how it's classless if I chose to buy that service.

I also fail to see how "having to" skin will drive any processor to want to leave the business. No one is forcing them to skin game. If they don't want to do it just put up a sign that reads "We do not accept unskinned and quartered game". Perhaps I'm missing something. :confused:

buckman
11-28-2011, 04:31 PM
this is a tough one,not every hunter has the facilities to butcher an animal,many dont have(its not that hard to learn)the skills or knowhow to do it.

If its wam I skin the animal in the field and wrap it in clean cheesecloth.If its cold the hide can remain on untill its processed.

In either case try to keep the meat as clean as possible.

I used to cut game for a rancher who had a meathouse,we had a sign on the wall.

"IF YOU BRING IN A DIRTY HAIRY ANIMAL YOU GET DIRTY HAIRY MEAT"

Of course we trimmed it as well as we could but it always amazed and sickened me when an animal was a little worse for wear because of poor field care.

Sadly some of the animals that came from the local outfitters were often the worst handled.

If you hunt early seaon especially for Moose or Elk you have to have a plan on getting it out and cooled of quickly,the meat can sour in a few hours in warm weather.

mtnhunter
11-28-2011, 04:57 PM
I have always field-dressed, prepped, hung and butchered all my game, and when hunting with another guy this past week, I offered to help him process his deer. When he went to the butcher in Drumheller, the butcher refused the skinned deer because "we can only take unskinned animals at this time because we are having trouble with the meat inspector." :confused: First time I have ever encountered a situation like that, but it seems in line with some of the other responses on this thread.

Okotokian
11-28-2011, 05:00 PM
the butcher refused the skinned deer because "we can only take unskinned animals at this time because we are having trouble with the meat inspector."

That would be my cue to go elsewhere. :sick:

glen1971
11-28-2011, 08:04 PM
x2

glen1971
11-28-2011, 08:08 PM
A friend of mine went out this year and got his moose with a friend of his, who is also a butcher. My buddy stood back and watched (and helped when needed) at how he dressed the moose.. The hide and head were still left on it, and removed at his shop in town.. No hair on the meat at all.. Most butchers will skin it for a fee of course..That way they know it is also done to their standards..

A few years ago, I saw one "hunter's" attempt at, I can only assume, deboning.. He showed up with a moose in garbage bags, with dirt, leaves and other elements of the forest VERY evident.. That mess would have ended up in the dumpster if I was the butcher...

Jerry D
11-28-2011, 09:31 PM
All's I can say is and anyone who runs a business should know,

"MAKE HAY WHILE THE SUN SHINES"

Turning business away is not something I do...

sureshot
11-28-2011, 09:31 PM
Funny how the OP hasn't chimed in to defend himself. Just sayin.

Andy

The Bit Runner.
11-28-2011, 09:55 PM

But it is so true guys, There meat shop has to be kept to a very clean standard to keep there meat cutting licence. You bet if your not happy that he wont take your animal cause its not to his standards i guess thats your cue to go somewhere else.

Personally if i was in the buisness it would be like the butchers i deal with, if its not clean it doesnt enter the doors, Period!!!

If there are some butchers out there that like to clean up and skin other peoples animals and thats the living they chose, and like, good for them, They probally make very good money at it.

FallAirFever
11-29-2011, 02:23 AM
I read an article not that long ago in a hunting magazine, I thought it was AO, but I could be wrong. It was by a butcher who said that he prefered his customers to not skin their game because it was easier and cleaner for him to skin it himself than to pick hair off a poorly skinned animal. It makes sence to me I have seen some people dropped off skinned game full of hair leaves and dirt that would take way longer to clean up that to just skin.

I have used a few different butchers over the years and some of them have a drop off area where they skin and split animals before the animal gets hung in the cooler. They charge for it and people are willing to pay for it I dont see the big deal. We skin our deer but bigger animals are usually left for the butcher. We feel that by the time the animal is in the back of the truck it is quicker and cleaner to get it to the butcher and let him do it.

Not sure how leaving the skin on an animal is classless if it is cold enough outside to not result in tainted meat??

Gabby61
11-29-2011, 07:33 AM
Since the subject has been brought up regarding kills and how people handle them. There is a post on here from a guy that had shot 3 Wolves and is draging them behind his Quad by the heads. Maybe it's just me, but I have a great deal of respect for Wolves to be draging them behind anything by the heads and be proud of that. I am a registered trapper on a registered trap line and I respect the animals I take and what I do, and yes, when I take Wolves, I am happy as well, but still do respect them. Pictures like these are what gets, hunters, trapper, outdoorsmen in all the SH!@ that we get ourselves into.

Just my opimion.
Gabby.

Okotokian
11-29-2011, 01:14 PM
But it is so true guys, There meat shop has to be kept to a very clean standard to keep there meat cutting licence. You bet if your not happy that he wont take your animal cause its not to his standards i guess thats your cue to go somewhere else.

That's not what I meant. I wouldn't go elsewhere because he refused to take my unskinned animal. I would go elsewhere becaue he admitted having trouble with the health inspector. I don't get my food from places that have "difficulties" with the health inspector. ;)

Kash Ryan
11-29-2011, 02:00 PM
BS Rant, Maybe worry about yourself and not worry about what other hunters are doing. If you are really concerned then run a program to educate. Otherwise don't let it bother you.

ishootbambi
11-29-2011, 06:05 PM
Pictures like these are what gets, hunters, trapper, outdoorsmen in all the SH!@ that we get ourselves into.

Just my opimion.
Gabby.

not really relevant to this discussion.....but i agree. public perception matters.

Tinman
11-29-2011, 09:05 PM
I think this is crap to write this and tell people that they are not sportsman and that they don't respect the animals if they dont do things your way. I cut all my own animals. However every situation has a story and this year I just about needed take any animal I got to the butcher whole due to work and lack of time off. So for someone to write this please don't push your religion on everyone and remove your head from your ass as this make help you in seeing clearly.

Tinman