PDA

View Full Version : monster cutthroat?

fishinggeek
11-27-2011, 03:50 PM
Just like some input on a trout my bro caught this summer. Wasn't to shure if this was a cutthroat or a rainbow. Im leaning toward cutthroat. this was the only pic taken. Like to see what the pros say. lol.
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l23/fishinggeek/384479_10150378144135796_730605795_8547039_1243192 178_n.jpg

Itsmyfishingshow
11-27-2011, 03:52 PM
beauty

Albertafisher
11-27-2011, 03:56 PM
Not sure because I can't see the throat very well. But by the other colorations, it looks like a Rainbow. It also depends where it was caught.

Dust1n
11-27-2011, 04:04 PM
theres mainy strains of cutthroat if we know the body of water where it was caught in it could be narrowed down.example; Westlope, coastal, yellowstone.
Im going to say rainbow trout due to the black spot coloration.
the spots should be thick near the tail and thined out by the head but its not a forsure way to tell besides the slash underneath its jaw.
It dosent matter what it is its still a beutiful fish.
Cutthroat Trout
http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g348/EliteFisherman/Cuthroat%20Trout/017-1.jpg

Rainbow Trout
http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g348/EliteFisherman/Rainbow%20trout/IMG_0459-1-3.jpg

Jayhad
11-27-2011, 04:05 PM
Man regardless of what that is it's a rad fish. without seeing the chin it's hard to say, were there no slashes or are you just testing us? I lean towards cuttbow simply for the reason that not many cutties show such an apparent red stripe down the lateral line, and not many rainbows have such a low level smattering of spots and the grey/green complete body.

Once again what a wicked fish

pickrel pat
11-27-2011, 04:16 PM
bass/lynx hybrid. caught 3 miles from the nearest watershed? lol.

SalmoTrutta
11-27-2011, 04:34 PM
Looks like a mature Cutty from a stock strain to me, they look like this in a couple landlocked lakes I fish. but like Fish Hunter said, they can differ quite a bit from body of water to body of water depending on strain. Nice Fish!!

fishinggeek
11-27-2011, 04:43 PM
i was leaning toward a cutty because of very few spots and the strange coloration. Iv just never seen a rainbow with so strange color pattern. It may just be a spawning male gerrard buck, I didn't think to check for the orange slash, just wanted to take care in getting it back. Wont say where it was caught, lol. sorry guys. I have our friend rick from trophytroutguide checking out the pic. will be cool to see what he has to say.

BeeGuy
11-27-2011, 04:59 PM
genetic analysis is the only method with which to identify the fish definitively.

Looks like a nice fish from here!

Daceminnow
11-27-2011, 06:07 PM
great looking fish as always geek. congrads to your bro. i too will leave the pros and online bio's to do the identification thing. thanks again for the pic.

Dace

fishpro
11-27-2011, 06:22 PM
I'd definitely say rainbow, if you notice some of the bullshead fish they have very similar colouration to them.

Kingfisher
11-27-2011, 08:18 PM
I would say it is a rainbow. Looks like a spawner. Not the first one I have seen or caught with that coloration.

Rob

fishinggeek
11-27-2011, 09:15 PM
Thanks guys. Im leaning more towards rainbow now. This must be from the gerrard strain, i found lots of pics from another site from the kootenays with rainbow similar to this one. There are cutties in this system, just none that i have ever seen, just rumors. And thanks for all the complemints. I love catching the diploid rainbows, they fight alot better than those fat triploids, lol.

BGSH
11-27-2011, 09:34 PM
Wow what a beautiful Rainbow, what a great fish, thanks for posting.

Shawn

bisonhunter
11-27-2011, 09:47 PM
my instant reaction is "rainbow", but i agree with the cutthroat reasoning when looking at the spots. in the end i have to say that the big red band down the side just screams rainbow to me. that's what my gut says .......any way you look at it that is an absolute beauty. keep up the good work, and keep sharing pics,
cheers

sheephunter
11-27-2011, 09:48 PM
100% rainbow but what a beauty!

tommyguitar
11-27-2011, 10:27 PM
That is a rainbow!

blackmamba
11-27-2011, 10:44 PM
Looks like a gerard rainbow to me ..

sheephunter
11-27-2011, 10:48 PM
Looks like a gerard rainbow to me ..

Ya it sure does!

ESOXangler
11-27-2011, 11:56 PM
Absolute beauty, but i think hes a bow as well. I've caught plenty steelheading on the great lakes that show colours like that. either way its a beaut!!!

commieboy
11-28-2011, 08:20 AM
Not saying whether geek's fish is a cutt or a bow, but offering up a picture which may stir up the pot.

This is a cutt I picked up this year. Verified by the red slash under the throat (which is not visible in this picture) and by the fact that I was at a well known cutt lake. I caught several on this day which all had similar colouring and markings, some having a more pronounced red streak along the side AND bottom, and some with fewer or more spots.

To me, there is a marked similarity between geek's fish and mine (except his would eat mine for a light snack!) which goes beyond the colouring. The spots are biassed towards the dorsal and posterior portions of the fish and are small, black and very well defined in shape. Not saying that I haven't seen rainbows like this, but I find rainbows tend to have slightly diffuse looking spots which seem to spread out more.

I don't have nearly the experience as most of you, and my fishing has been limited to certain areas so I haven't seen as many examples of either species, so I just can't say.

Rainbow or cutt, it's a great catch. Congrats.

1/2 oz Bucktail
11-28-2011, 08:25 AM
Just for clarification:
The orange slash under the jaw IS NOT the defining feature of a Cutt.
The orange (gular) slash is not the reason for the name Cutthroat either.

All Cutts have a small row of teeth in their throats known as Pharangeal teeth. The name Cutthroat came about because people holding the fish up by the gills would often cut their fingers on these teeth.

Therefore:
If you want to determine Cutty or Rainbow, check in the throat of the fish for the presence of teeth.

BeeGuy
11-28-2011, 08:47 AM
Just for clarification:
The orange slash under the jaw IS NOT the defining feature of a Cutt.

All Cutts have a small row of teeth in their throats known as Pharangeal teeth.

x2

Pharyngeal, or basi-branchial teeth are the only morphological character which can separate these species in the field.

The difficulty, is that there is extensive interbreeding between the 2 species in river systems, and these fish are rarely pure strain which means even a cutthroat with only a small amount of rainbow genetics may be missing these extra teeth.

The COSEWIC report on the westslope cutthroat is an informative read and Figure 7 really drives home the point about hybridization using the east kootenay watersheds as an example.

REPORT (http://web.unbc.ca/~costel0/Publications/sr_oncorhynchus_clarkii_lewisi_e.pdf)

goldscud
11-28-2011, 09:57 AM
Rainbow
River fish from the Kootney drainage? Gerrard rainbow?
Pennask strain rainbows don't have have much for spots...if this is a stocked lake fish in BC

sheephunter
11-28-2011, 10:08 AM
Not saying whether geek's fish is a cutt or a bow, but offering up a picture which may stir up the pot.

This is a cutt I picked up this year. Verified by the red slash under the throat (which is not visible in this picture) and by the fact that I was at a well known cutt lake. I caught several on this day which all had similar colouring and markings, some having a more pronounced red streak along the side AND bottom, and some with fewer or more spots.

To me, there is a marked similarity between geek's fish and mine (except his would eat mine for a light snack!) which goes beyond the colouring. The spots are biassed towards the dorsal and posterior portions of the fish and are small, black and very well defined in shape. Not saying that I haven't seen rainbows like this, but I find rainbows tend to have slightly diffuse looking spots which seem to spread out more.

I don't have nearly the experience as most of you, and my fishing has been limited to certain areas so I haven't seen as many examples of either species, so I just can't say.

Rainbow or cutt, it's a great catch. Congrats.

That right there is a classic big mature cuttie!

Fishinggeek1
11-28-2011, 10:59 AM
Nice Sean always about the secrets. LOL Well you guys. I caught this fish from deifenbaker saturday morning, Was a Great fighting fish. And even better to see him get back safely. Forgot to check for the slashes under its chin as i assumed it was another male spawner.

sheephunter
11-28-2011, 01:28 PM
Nice Sean always about the secrets. LOL Well you guys. I caught this fish from deifenbaker saturday morning, Was a Great fighting fish. And even better to see him get back safely. Forgot to check for the slashes under its chin as i assumed it was another male spawner.

Didn't the Dief fish originate from Gerrard strain or was it steelhead?

TyreeUM
11-28-2011, 01:50 PM
Didn't the Dief fish originate from Gerrard strain or was it steelhead?

Which dief fish? The fish that escaped from the pens are an aquaculture strain of triploid steelhead, this is a diploid fish and who knows where it came from. Does not look like any sask stocker I have seen.

Don Andersen
11-28-2011, 07:06 PM
There may be Gerrards in Diefenbacker.
Alberta stocked them in the Red Deer below the dam. They all disappeared when they got 18" or so. Reports had rainbows caught near Medicine Hat.
Diefie is the next stop.

Occasionally one comes back to the area below the dam.

regards,

Don

TyreeUM
11-29-2011, 07:25 AM
There may be Gerrards in Diefenbacker.
Alberta stocked them in the Red Deer below the dam. They all disappeared when they got 18" or so. Reports had rainbows caught near Medicine Hat.
Diefie is the next stop.

Occasionally one comes back to the area below the dam.

regards,

Don

Thanks Don,
I was working a few years ago in Leader and I had several people fishing the river tell me you could catch rainbows up to 10 pounds early in the spring and I was wondering where those were coming from.

walking buffalo
11-29-2011, 08:53 PM
Which dief fish? The fish that escaped from the pens are an aquaculture strain of triploid steelhead, this is a diploid fish and who knows where it came from. Does not look like any sask stocker I have seen.

My call on the first pic is a Rainbow in spawning colours. This fish does have some resemblance to a spawning Steelhead. I don't see any physical characteristics or colourations to suggest it is a cutthroat.

The Spawning colors and Kype negate it being a triploid.

Washed down from upstream?

Escape or release from a private stocking/bucket brigade?

A dip that got past the trip confirmation? The Trip manufacturing process is Not known to be 100% effective 100% of the time....

Dust1n
11-29-2011, 09:20 PM
"My call on the first pic is a Rainbow in spawning colours. This fish does have some resemblance to a spawning Steelhead. I don't see any physical characteristics or colourations to suggest it is a cutthroat.

Washed down from upstream?

Escape or release from a private stocking/bucket brigade?

A dip that got past the trip confirmation? The Trip manufacturing process is Not known to be 100% effective 100% of the time....
Reply With Quote"

The reason why they bare a resemblance is because steelhead is just a sea run rainbow trout and dosnt have to be a triploid to have a kype on them. iv seen lots of diploids with kypes and bows from the bow river with kypes during summer and spring. Cutthroat and Rainbows can look alot alike thats why one of the only quick was to distinguish one from another is there slash underneath there jaw.

Hmm which is which?
http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g348/EliteFisherman/Rainbow%20trout/IMG_0412-1.jpg
http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g348/EliteFisherman/Rainbow%20trout/IMG_0499-1.jpg
http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g348/EliteFisherman/Cuthroat%20Trout/013-1-1.jpg
http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g348/EliteFisherman/Cuthroat%20Trout/010-1-1.jpg

As you can see it can be hard :)

Alberta Bigbore
11-29-2011, 09:48 PM
What a pig of a fish!!

Bhflyfisher
11-29-2011, 09:55 PM

Actually if you really knew, some triploids will still develop the red deep red band and kype. They are sterile fish even though they may appear to be spawners.

Just for those that dont know, female trout have 2 sets of chromosomes, and males have 1 set. When they fertilize one of them is lost so they have 2 sets of chromosomes, giving the name diploid. Triploid, meaing tri = 3, is a hatchery altered fish that's eggs are fertilized then placed in a warm bath to inhibit the ability to lose that 3rd set. Giving the 3rd set, the fish is neither considered male or female making it impossible to produce eggs and sperm. Although possessing the looks of a female usually there are cases where they take on the looks of males.. But they are sterile fish.

Hopefully that makes enough sense. Didn't want to go off forever and tried to summarize it to a point people will even bother reading it.

Dust1n
11-29-2011, 10:07 PM
Actually if you really knew, some triploids will still develop the red deep red band and kype. They are sterile fish even though they may appear to be spawners.

Just for those that dont know, female trout have 2 sets of chromosomes, and males have 1 set. When they fertilize one of them is lost so they have 2 sets of chromosomes, giving the name diploid. Triploid, meaing tri = 3, is a hatchery altered fish that's eggs are fertilized then placed in a warm bath to inhibit the ability to lose that 3rd set. Giving the 3rd set, the fish is neither considered male or female making it impossible to produce eggs and sperm. Although possessing the looks of a female usually there are cases where they take on the looks of males.. But they are sterile fish.

Hopefully that makes enough sense. Didn't want to go off forever and tried to summarize it to a point people will even bother reading it.

Dont worry it makes sense but, I dont recall saying that triploids are silver.:thinking-006:

Dust1n
11-29-2011, 10:09 PM
edit i dont know why i said nagate....

BeeGuy
11-29-2011, 11:48 PM

Curious why we sex differentiation and sexual dimorphism in triploid brook trout

TyreeUM
11-30-2011, 10:36 AM

This is not entirely correct....triploid fish are either triploid males or triploid females. I am pretty sure the trout farm here only grows triploid females as they usually have a faster growth rate than triploid males, so it is highly unlikely this fish is a triploid, as it is clearly male.

Curious why we sex differentiation and sexual dimorphism in triploid brook trout

The reason you see this is because male triploid brook trout actually dont loose a lot of their sex hormones, which is why triploid males can develop the spawning coloration and kypes. To pull some Mythbusters out, it is plausible but not probobable that triploid male brookies could actually spawn successfully. Triploid female brook trout typically keep the look of a juvinile brook trout, which is why you see that sexual dimorphism.

Dan Foss
11-30-2011, 10:51 AM
This is one of the best threads on this website.

Dan Foss
11-30-2011, 10:55 AM
The reason you see this is because male triploid brook trout actually dont loose a lot of their sex hormones, which is why triploid males can develop the spawning coloration and kypes. To pull some Mythbusters out, it is plausible but not probobable that triploid male brookies could actually spawn successfully. Triploid female brook trout typically keep the look of a juvinile brook trout, which is why you see that sexual dimorphism.

Now is this in only male brookies or across all triploid trout?

TyreeUM
11-30-2011, 11:15 AM
the only study I have read looking into successful spawning of triploid males was with brookies, but I would imagine it could carry over for most other triploid species, given they were not hybridized triploids.