PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Moose Hunt Recommendations

nyala hunter
11-28-2011, 11:41 AM
Hello all:

I am planning on booking a guided Alberta trophy moose hunt in 2012 or 2013 My question: are there any specific areas/outfitters you would recommend?

In reading thru some of the forums there are a wide variery of reports on various areas with some good and some not so good.

Not wanting anyones secret spot but just some general information on areas where moose numbers are good...again I am from Missouri looking to book a guided moose hunt. Are there any areas I need to stay away from due to oil sands development or other reasons...?

My research has pointed to several different regions including: Grande Prairie, Peace River, Birch Mountains, Ft. McMurray and even agricultural areas in the south.

Thank You.

KN12313
11-28-2011, 12:25 PM
I Guided for an Outfitter a few years back in the Swan Hills area. The area west of Swan Hills has lots of moose. I have seen as many as 15 moose in a day, 9 were bulls, two were monsters(55" plus). I will give you some advice, research the Outfitters carefully, I have worked for some that are great and some, well OMG. Ask for references and check them out.

I have also hunted the Whitecourt and Fox Creek area a lot, took a 54" bull that was 188 3/8 B&C about ten years ago. seen several around in the last few years that would go 45"-55", but I stopped shooting those big ones, too tuff.

MountainTi
11-28-2011, 12:33 PM
Depends on the type of hunt you want. You can do a true mountain hunt on horseback, with less chance of a giant bull, or you can do a hunt in an area with a chance at a bigger bull, but a different style of hunt. Lot of guys prefer the mountain hunt over a chance at a larger bull, it's up to you to decide on the style of hunt you would like.

nyala hunter
11-28-2011, 03:27 PM
I Guided for an Outfitter a few years back in the Swan Hills area. The area west of Swan Hills has lots of moose. I have seen as many as 15 moose in a day, 9 were bulls, two were monsters(55" plus). I will give you some advice, research the Outfitters carefully, I have worked for some that are great and some, well OMG. Ask for references and check them out.

I have also hunted the Whitecourt and Fox Creek area a lot, took a 54" bull that was 188 3/8 B&C about ten years ago. seen several around in the last few years that would go 45"-55", but I stopped shooting those big ones, too tuff.

Thanks...do you remember what WMU that Swan Hills area is?

NIKON
11-28-2011, 03:44 PM
I highly recommend Andrew lake lodge fly in moose hunt / fishing combo....... World class fishing and monster moose...... North east tip of the province...... Fly in only
We have gone on resident drop hunts and have done very well ...... first trip a 53 and a 47 incher....... second trip a 51 in..... third trip a 40 inch..... lots of bears around also...
Some of my most memorable hunts have been with Dan at Andrew lake lodge
http://www.andrewlakelodge.com/

Nikon

KN12313
11-28-2011, 04:05 PM
Look for outfitters that guide in the following WMU's 347,349 and 351. Some areas have a lot of oil and gas exploration, so ask if they offer "remote hunts", if you don't get back in the bush 15 or 20 miles, you will see a lot of road hunters and not a lot of game. The peak of the rut is right around the first of October.

Don K
11-28-2011, 05:36 PM
There are some BIG bulls up around Grande Cache. Know one of the old outfitters up there and they took some really good ones. Also some quality elk along the Little Smoky River as well. Good bear and deer too.

IHUNT
11-28-2011, 05:41 PM
I also recomend andrew lake lodge. Ive guided for him in the past and haveto say there is alot of moose up there. Theres no iol companys to worry about or other hunters around to interfer with your hunt. Pretty much flyes you into a lake and its all yours to hunt.

greywolf
12-01-2011, 04:18 PM
Are there any areas I need to stay away from due to oil sands development or other reasons...?

Thank You.

TOO funny!!:)

nyala hunter
12-01-2011, 04:30 PM
TOO funny!!:)

Trying to figure this one out?

Either it means there are no places left to get away from oil development OR there are plenty of places to get away?

hal53
12-01-2011, 04:39 PM
Trying to figure this one out?

Either it means there are no places left to get away from oil development OR there are plenty of places to get away?
The Oil sands cover a very, very, very small portion of NE Alberta....miniscule 90% of the heavy Oil is recovered by conventional drilling....nothing to worry about

greywolf
12-01-2011, 04:39 PM
There are plenty of places to hunt moose in Alberta, if you continue to do your homework you should find a good outfitter and hopefully a have memorable hunt. My OP was sarcasm, was directed at peoples general perception of our oil sands.

It was not meant to offend you in any way.

nyala hunter
12-01-2011, 07:21 PM
There are some BIG bulls up around Grande Cache. Know one of the old outfitters up there and they took some really good ones. Also some quality elk along the Little Smoky River as well. Good bear and deer too.

Don...did you get my Private Message I sent a few days ago?

I am still trying to learn how to navigate this site.

Thanks

steve
12-01-2011, 07:26 PM
I dont have a clue about this outfit, but something you might want to check into. Phone some references, look at outfitter reviews on google.

http://www.wildkakwaoutfit.com/

Cal
12-01-2011, 07:40 PM
To be honest I wouldnt even bother hunting moose in AB if I didnt live here. We've got some decent areas but IMO there are better destinations for an outfited moose hunt. If I was going to do a Guided hunt here it would around Grande Cache or Andrew Lake.

steve
12-01-2011, 07:42 PM
What about a yukon hunt or northern BC? Thats where i'd be headed unless your set on AB.

nyala hunter
12-01-2011, 08:25 PM
What about a yukon hunt or northern BC? Thats where i'd be headed unless your set on AB.

Too $$$$ for me in the Yukon/NWT Mackenzies for sure. I have been looking at BC.

Justin.C
12-01-2011, 08:31 PM
Too $$$$ for me in the Yukon/NWT Mackenzies for sure. I have been looking at BC.
were are you from?

nyala hunter
12-28-2011, 10:27 AM
were are you from?

Sorry I missed this post...I am from St. Louis, Missouri.

BrownBear416
12-28-2011, 10:29 AM
Sorry I missed this post...I am from St. Louis, Missouri.

You looking for a big bull or just a good hunt with a decent bull?

nyala hunter
12-28-2011, 10:37 AM
You looking for a big bull or just a good hunt with a decent bull?

I would prefer to go to an area where I can see alot of moose and have a chance at a decent one VS hunting for a week and seeing one or 2 with the chance of a big bull. But if you have a recommendation for a big bull area/outfitter I am all ears.

BrownBear416
12-28-2011, 10:47 AM
I would prefer to go to an area where I can see alot of moose and have a chance at a decent one VS hunting for a week and seeing one or 2 with the chance of a big bull. But if you have a recommendation for a big bull area/outfitter I am all ears.

I will send you a pm..

Bosskoss
12-28-2011, 10:56 AM

I know this outfit kills some giants, good, hard working group. PM me for more info if you like. http://kegcountryoutfitters.com

elkhunter11
12-28-2011, 11:00 AM

My recommendation would be B.C. Having hunted several locations in Alberta, as well as in a few locations in B.C., the moose densities were much higher in Northern B.C. and the average bulls were larger as well.

sns2
12-28-2011, 03:35 PM
Andrew Lake Lodge is what you are looking for. You won't have anyone that you run into, you'll get a nice moose, and you can go for a mixed hunt. You will have memories of a lifetime. I have hunted Northern BC, and there are lots of moose, but while not a for sure, there always is the chance you will run into other hunters, and depending on the guide, many hunters. If you are spending that kind of cash, phone Dan at Andrew Lake Lodge and ask for a list of references.

elkhunter11
12-28-2011, 03:55 PM
I have hunted Northern BC, and there are lots of moose, but while not a for sure, there always is the chance you will run into other hunters, and depending on the guide, many hunters.

I never saw any other hunters on my Northern B.C. hunts, primarily because there are no roads into the areas that I hunted. I saw legal bull moose every day, and the camps went 100% on bull moose in the 50" range or better on each hunt.

If you are spending that kind of cash, phone Dan at Andrew Lake Lodge and ask for a list of references.

Just looking at the hunt reports for Andrew Lake Lodge, there were far fewer bull moose seen, and although several moose were killed, there were plenty of people that went home empty handed.

Moo Snukkle
12-28-2011, 04:51 PM
Make darn sure your outfitters area is remote. If I were paying for a guided hunt, I would not want my outfitter driving me around on lease roads looking for game. I also would not want to run into any resident hunters. I would have no problem going home empty handed if I had my "own piece" of heaven to hunt.

joker2010
12-31-2011, 11:16 AM
http://www.bearpaw.ab.ca/ this is scott taylor's site he is from here in st isidore peace river area give him a try if you get a hold of him tell him joe leslie and al davidson reffered you to him thank you scott has a very good reputation up here he has many references on his web site from hunters he has had give him a call

Lefty-Canuck
12-31-2011, 11:20 AM
To be honest I wouldnt even bother hunting moose in AB if I didnt live here. We've got some decent areas but IMO there are better destinations for an outfited moose hunt. If I was going to do a Guided hunt here it would around Grande Cache or Andrew Lake.

I agree with you Cal....there are some good moose in AB.....BUT there are better places to go to find them as well. Yukon and Northern BC would be my choices if i was going on a guided hunt for the first time. If a meat bull and not a trophy was what I was looking for then AB it is.

LC

Elkaholic523
12-31-2011, 11:29 AM
If u want a chance at a big bull go to Andrew lake LOL don't plan on seeing more than one moose in an entire week of calling not my idea of a good Alberta moose hunt I'd look further south way higher densities a 45 inch bull will exite u just as much as a 55 atleast down south u will atleast see alot of country not just one lake just my 2 cents

nyala hunter
12-31-2011, 12:55 PM
If u want a chance at a big bull go to Andrew lake LOL don't plan on seeing more than one moose in an entire week of calling not my idea of a good Alberta moose hunt I'd look further south way higher densities a 45 inch bull will exite u just as much as a 55 atleast down south u will atleast see alot of country not just one lake just my 2 cents

Yes I have already come to that conclusion. In all honesty with me being from Missouri, if I wanted a Andrew Lake type of hunt it would be much easier for me to go to Ontario.

The Peace River has a variety of game, even if I am not hunting those species it is still nice to see a mulie, an elk, a whitetail in addition to more moose sightings than you would up north. Seeing different, and scenic country is a big plus as well.

Traps
12-31-2011, 01:20 PM
There are a few people on here that know moose in Alberta well, they are Cal, elkhunter, elkoholic, Lefty. Moose are my main target species and I'd have to agree with them, there are better places for a guided moose hunt than in Alberta. North & north central of BC is the place to go before prices get ridiculus with a decent to better than decent chance at a large bull. Just make sure your either jet boating, flying or getting there on horse back/deep with quads.

Based on what you say about seeing more numbers and getting a decent one versus the chance of seeing a few around NE Alberta is not for you. I've spent time flying NE Alberta and moose densities are very low. Don't get me wrong Andrew would be the ultimate all around experience and one day I'll be on that trip but not for first time.

The guys that return year after year have good success but for a first time to focus on moose hunting I wouldn't reccommend it.

elkhunter11
12-31-2011, 01:30 PM
The Peace River has a variety of game, even if I am not hunting those species it is still nice to see a mulie, an elk, a whitetail in addition to more moose sightings than you would up north. Seeing different, and scenic country is a big plus as well.

I hunted both Moose and elk in NE B.C., and I saw moose and elk every day, with some mule deer, caribou,sheep, mountain goat and bears thrown in on occasion. If you want an adventure type hunt, seeing many different species, and such different landscape, a horseback hunt in this area is hard to beat.

I actually killed my largest moose on a hunt in Camp Wainwright, but it was a half day affair, that can in no way compare to a true wilderness hunt.

Traps
12-31-2011, 01:34 PM
I don't have any affiliation with this guy but he hunts in my backyard. If you hunt the Peace Valley you won't be disappointed with the territory or the species available. The tags have been reduced in his area for a few years for moose and this winter is shaping up to be mild......next fall will be great for mid sized bulls as long as the rest of the winter cooperates. Competitive prices as well.

http://www.mikesoutfitting.com/photo_gallery.php?level=album&id=28

joker2010
12-31-2011, 01:42 PM
there are alot of trophy animals in the peace country area like i have said before got to be willing to spend some time out of the vechile because road hunting does'nt work to many people do that now days nayla look at t he site i gave you i think you will be happy with what you see he is a very sucessful and reputable outfitter knows the area like the back of his hand been he has been guiding for 15 plus years average overall hunter sucess rate of 95 plus percent the ones that never got anything is because they turned what they seen down