PDA

View Full Version : Wolf in my stand

happy honker
11-28-2011, 01:38 PM
Well not literally....but they've moved into my whitetail honey hole.
November has been work crazy, so I did most of my hunting in october.
I went and checked my cams 2 weeks ago and hardly any deer in an area that had tons earlier in the season.
We found a single wolf track trailing a doe, and around 3:30 in the afternoon, heard him howl for about 3 minutes.

Soooo....with the last 2 days of the season, should I bother hunting my spot ? Or, should I assume he's either eaten or driven every white-tail out of the immediate area...and go find a new spot.
Also...I've heard once whitetail are driven out by predators, that mulies will move in. Any opinion on that?

thanks
hh

IHUNT
11-28-2011, 02:35 PM
Hunt it and wait for that wolf to come back! As Troy would say off of swamp people!
SHOOT HIM SHOOT HIM!:character0110:

bluetick
11-28-2011, 03:21 PM
Deer do not relocate because of predators ,Wolve move around quite a bit looking for food.The deer just move to a safe area as prey passes the area.
Keep hunting ,the deer pattern changes because of weather and food supply and the rut ,not predation.
One wolf isnt a problem he is a trophy.
Mulies do not take an area over because white tails have left ,In fact its quite the opposite .

happy honker
11-28-2011, 04:18 PM
I'm going to hunt the area tuesday and wednesday. Hopefully I get a look at a wolf. I'm more excited about that than filling a supplemental tag at this point.
I'll look at the regs when I get home, but I really hope i can hunt him in December when I get some time off.

That sound was something else...had the kids with me when he howled...we'll never forget it.
Especially memorable if he's a rug on my hardwood floor.
thanks
hh

HunterDave
11-28-2011, 04:23 PM
Good luck with....either or animal!

happy honker
11-28-2011, 04:28 PM
http://s1099.photobucket.com/albums/g396/HappyHonker/

Hopefully this is a link to a pic of his track.

antler hunter
11-28-2011, 05:07 PM
i had wolf on and off in my deel honey hole and it didnt really change anything deer were still there all fall . we manage to get two buck from that spot