PDA

View Full Version : Safe use of heaters

Bobby B.
11-28-2011, 04:45 PM
My new Mr Buddy Heater warns against the use of a propane tank and heater indoors. At The Fishing Hole, where I purchased my Big Buddy heater, I also purchased a Mr Heater F273701 five foot hose. My plan was to place the 20 lb propane tank outside my tent and the heater inside. Everyone at TFH and TFC recommended this setup. Anyone see anything wrong with this strategy? Safety wise that is.

Bobby B.

Albertadiver
11-28-2011, 04:52 PM
I do the same, but I also have a vent in the side wall of my home built shack. I take a portable CO detector as well. You need some fresh air.

honda450
11-28-2011, 05:01 PM
I as well use a CO detecter inside my trailer. I do not use my Big Buddy in there though just a safety precaution. Sounds like ya got it under control just don't fall asleep when them fish ain't biting. hehee

On a side note I bought a filter to run my 20 lb tank of propane for my Big Buddy, people say ya need it so I bought it. Only $10.

Bobby B.
11-28-2011, 05:47 PM
I as well use a CO detecter inside my trailer. I do not use my Big Buddy in there though just a safety precaution. Sounds like ya got it under control just don't fall asleep when them fish ain't biting. hehee

On a side note I bought a filter to run my 20 lb tank of propane for my Big Buddy, people say ya need it so I bought it. Only $10.

I should pick one up as well. Where did you buy yours?

Bobby B.

WayneChristie
11-28-2011, 05:48 PM
I run a 5 foot hose and bulk tank, tank sits outside and Ive not had any problems with that setup. I like the buddy feature of the built in low oxygen sensor so if it gets low the heater shuts itself off. Ive used my sunflower heater with no problems as well, but I usually keep a window partly open away from the wind for ventilation. with all the types you have to be careful about placement in the tent so you dont melt or set things on fire.

Paul C
11-28-2011, 06:44 PM
My new Mr Buddy Heater warns against the use of a propane tank and heater indoors. At The Fishing Hole, where I purchased my Big Buddy heater, I also purchased a Mr Heater F273701 five foot hose. My plan was to place the 20 lb propane tank outside my tent and the heater inside. Everyone at TFH and TFC recommended this setup. Anyone see anything wrong with this strategy? Safety wise that is.

Bobby B.
Good to go and this is a good set up. Remember CO is colorless and tasteless gas.
Co detector is a good idea but caution should be kept in mind. Vented tent is a good idea. Never sleep in a tent that is being heated by propane device.

Bobby B.
11-28-2011, 06:48 PM
Thanks guys. The way I'm interpreting this is that the only danger is from carbon monoxide poisoning? Ain't nothin gonna blow up?

Bobby B.

WayneChristie
11-28-2011, 06:53 PM
Thanks guys. The way I'm interpreting this is that the only danger is from carbon monoxide poisoning? Ain't nothin gonna blow up?

Bobby B.

as long as your tank or your hose connections dont leak should be no worries. but never say never :) Ive never been worried about it.

billycap
11-28-2011, 07:49 PM
happened to me last winter at millars lake.... the hose end that connects to the big buddy seperated where it attaches to the brass fitting... not all the way but when i went for that lucky 3rd click of the the ignition switch the whole works went poof... kinda scary when you get a massive fire ball inside a 4 man ice cube... once the initial flash was over i just jerked up the tent wall n booted the whole works out then shut off the main bottle and snuffed out the fire streamer coming off the buddy... in the end it cost me some eyebrow and the door off the side of the big buddy... could have been worse much worse

i think it was from stuffing the hose in my big rubbermade tub and then pulling it out when it had other stuff piled up on it a few times... not sure what caused the failure but it certainly can happen

have fun out there!

Albertadiver
11-28-2011, 08:09 PM
I commented on it a bit on this thread.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=24357

Xiph0id
11-28-2011, 08:14 PM

What does a filter do?
Propane is propane, no?

Geezle
11-28-2011, 08:29 PM
The short answer to your question is that if you have proper ventilation you'll be fine :)

Bobby B.
11-28-2011, 08:37 PM
I commented on it a bit on this thread.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=24357

Read the full 2 pages but am left uncertain to what your point is.

Bobby B.

Albertadiver
11-28-2011, 08:39 PM
Read the full 2 pages but am left uncertain to what your point is.

Bobby B.

should have been more specific, sorry.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showpost.php?p=232807&postcount=17

My point was that even though my co detector didn't go off, I ended up with mild CO poisening. Very important to have some decent ventilation. I even go outside for a breather every hour or so now.

sureshot
11-28-2011, 09:24 PM
CO poisoning is nothing to fool with. I was rush to hospital by ambulance last summer with severe CO poisoning from an exhaust leak on my rig. They said another little while and I would of been a goner. Took my body almost 3 weeks to recover.

Andy

Bobby B.
11-28-2011, 09:38 PM
Okay, so if these heaters are a safety hazard, why are the stores selling them and why are fishermen using them? PM me if that works better but the question remains "Are these things safe or not?" Are they safe under certain conditions? Are they 99% safe? 50% safe? Does it depend on certain factors? If so, what factors? I neither want to freeze my azz of nor do I want to kill myself. Thanks guys. I hope to use mine this Saturday.

Bobby B.

Bobby B.
11-28-2011, 09:40 PM
The short answer to your question is that if you have proper ventilation you'll be fine :)

Does a Clam Denali IV have proper ventilation to use a 20lb propane tank located outside to feed a Mr. Heater Big Buddy inside the tent?

Bobby B.

Gary K
11-28-2011, 10:57 PM
Get a detector, crack a window, and go outside every Once in a while.

I leave a flap at the bottom of the tent open as well ad a window cracked. I sewed in a flap down low. As in most cases, carbon monoxide is heavier than air I figure it's good practice.

Geezle
11-29-2011, 07:55 AM
Does a Clam Denali IV have proper ventilation to use a 20lb propane tank located outside to feed a Mr. Heater Big Buddy inside the tent?

Bobby B.

I'm not familiar with that tent so I can't say one way or the other.

I've got an Eskimo QuickFish 3, and the ventilation is so-so depending on the wind and other factors. If I'm out pike fishing and I'm going in and out of the tent a lot to chase tip-ups then the ventilation isn't a big issue. If I'm fishing strictly inside the tent then I'll often partially open a window for a little extra air.

I haven't gone so far as to run a CO detector, but it's still best to err on the side of caution.

Paul C
11-29-2011, 08:38 AM
A good way of testing for leaks is mixing water with a liquid soap. An old windex bottle will work for this. Spray your all of your fittings and connections and watch for bubbling of soap. Remember that propane is heavier than air and will stay close to the ground level. This test will save a lot hassle with leaking fittings when you are out ice wishin. If you know somebody that is a journeyman gasfitter have that person check your set up.
When you have your propane bottle filled ask that person to show there propane filling docs. There is lots of gas stations that over fill the bottles causing the relief valve to open. Since most people transport those bottles in there cars this can be dangerous because the leak is in a closed location. An electric spark from an switch or other devices can be the trigger for ignition.
Have fun ice wishin :character0110:

Kokanee9
11-29-2011, 08:42 AM

Bobby B.

Okay, so if these heaters are a safety hazard, why are the stores selling them and why are fishermen using them? PM me if that works better but the question remains "Are these things safe or not?" Are they safe under certain conditions? Are they 99% safe? 50% safe? Does it depend on certain factors? If so, what factors? I neither want to freeze my azz of nor do I want to kill myself. Thanks guys. I hope to use mine this Saturday.

Bobby B.

Bobby B.

Bob, your question has been answered several x. If you still have doubts, then don't use your heater and sell it to someone on here that will.

1) Ventilation - fresh air aupply.
2) Filter on your heater.
3) Co2 detector.

I have yet to see somebody blow themselves up while lighting a heater. If you re-read that 1 post, the gentleman admitted putting stuff on top of his hose and pulling it out of a milk carton. It probably got caught on something and got damaged when he was getting it out of the milk carton.

Google "carbon monoxide poisoning symptoms" and familiarize yourself with the signs.

Unless you seal your tent up tight by piling snow around the outside and close the zippers all the way, you wont have a problem.

Bobby B.
11-29-2011, 09:34 AM
Bob, your question has been answered several x. If you still have doubts, then don't use your heater and sell it to someone on here that will.

1) Ventilation - fresh air aupply.
2) Filter on your heater.
3) Co2 detector.

I have yet to see somebody blow themselves up while lighting a heater. If you re-read that 1 post, the gentleman admitted putting stuff on top of his hose and pulling it out of a milk carton. It probably got caught on something and got damaged when he was getting it out of the milk carton.

Google "carbon monoxide poisoning symptoms" and familiarize yourself with the signs.

Unless you seal your tent up tight by piling snow around the outside and close the zippers all the way, you wont have a problem.

I'm only trying to be safe. For me, the more information the better. I've always strived to be well informed. There's so many members here with so much knowledge and experience, I thought I'd best tap into it. I'm not trying to be a pain in the azz, just don't want to make a mistake which could have been avoided. Simply doing my "due diligence". We all know the old saying, "Better to be safe than sorry". Not only do I want to be safe, I'm also responsible for the safety of anyone else who's in my tent.

Thanks to everyone for their help and with their patience for a nube.

Bobby B.

Hunter Trav
11-29-2011, 03:14 PM
You'll be fine, just buy some tip-ups, and every 1/2 hr or so go out and check them. Problem solved...:D

Paul C
11-29-2011, 04:04 PM
CO poisoning is nothing to fool with. I was rush to hospital by ambulance last summer with severe CO poisoning from an exhaust leak on my rig. They said another little while and I would of been a goner. Took my body almost 3 weeks to recover.

Andy
X2 Those CO detectors may give warning but should be used with caution. I certainly would not rely on. CO is easily attached to your red blood cells through your lungs and this is why it is so deadly. In Edmonton this year there has been CO poisoning at a Senior citizens home by a faulty vent system on there boiler.
If people would take the time to understand all of the warning signs that would help prevent deaths.:thinking-006:

happyfisher
11-29-2011, 11:03 PM
i have a little heater buddy 3800 btus....and a old red kerosene heater in a 2 man shack......

am i doomed? i drilled 2 holes in the top and there is cracks around it for a little air......ewww....ill find out this weekend....

happy

Kokanee9
11-30-2011, 02:23 AM
I'm only trying to be safe. For me, the more information the better. I've always strived to be well informed. There's so many members here with so much knowledge and experience, I thought I'd best tap into it. I'm not trying to be a pain in the azz, just don't want to make a mistake which could have been avoided. Simply doing my "due diligence". We all know the old saying, "Better to be safe than sorry". Not only do I want to be safe, I'm also responsible for the safety of anyone else who's in my tent.

Thanks to everyone for their help and with their patience for a nube.

Bobby B.

Bob, not a problem. Safety should always be first. Don't forget to look up the signs and symptoms of co2 poisoning. Knowing what to look for is also another preventative measure that will make you more assured that things are fine.