PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Switch

sheephunter
11-28-2011, 05:59 PM
Did a quick trip out west for whitetails tonight and someone definitely hit the stupid switch. There were deer wandering around aimlessly everywhere with no concern about what was around them. Hopefully they stay that way a couple more days! Anyone else notice this?

hal53
11-28-2011, 06:01 PM
Did a quick trip out west for whitetails tonight and someone definitely hit the stupid switch. There were deer wandering around aimlessly everywhere with no concern about what was around them. Hopefully they stay that way a couple more days! Anyone else notice this?
yup...nice whitetail wondering around 200 yards from the rig at 1430 hrs...looked like he'd lost his wallet....LOL....too bad it was in 164....

Kitscoty Bear Slayer(KBS)
11-28-2011, 06:06 PM
Yep,seen a few last couple days while working in saskatchewan,too bad my tags are all for Alberta:lol:

Supermag
11-28-2011, 06:30 PM
I passed up 2 130-140 4X4 whities on saturday that gave me minutes each to look them over and consider it. :)

I think I'm going to take wednesday off and see if they are still stunned. LOL

BigRackLover
11-29-2011, 08:38 AM

Is this not a bit late this year for WT? like about 1 week? For my experience .ll the real silly season start about Nov 22.

BigRackLover
11-29-2011, 08:38 AM

good luck to all those with tags remaining.

Jamie Black R/T
11-29-2011, 08:42 AM
i parked my truck out in the rain sunday night out behind my place just to watch what was moving.

Spotted a good buck across the quarter...ranged him at 490 yards....gave 2-3 long and loud grunts out the window of the truck and within two minutes he was broadside at 90 yards staring at me sitting in the truck.

160" deer begging to be shot and my tags are full....never happen otherwise LOL

280Hunter
11-29-2011, 09:33 AM
Yeah I've noticed the same thing sheephunter.

Rockymtnx
11-29-2011, 10:04 AM
Here in my part of the World I have noticed that the stupid switch has been on for about 7 days.

Duk Dog
11-29-2011, 07:32 PM
Buggers had to wait till after our trip was over....:(

TheLegend
11-29-2011, 08:49 PM
I have a guide/outfitter/butcher who lives by me. According to him he says the whitetail rut is coming late this year. He said the moose and elk rut was late and therefore the whitetail rut will be late as well. He predicted it would peak after hunting season was over. True? False? I donno. Hope it is true. Still have my tag

sjemac
11-29-2011, 08:50 PM
Mine have gone full nocturnal. Three trail cams and nothing moving between 6 a.m. and 8 pm. I blame the "black truck brigade" that sends 16 guys into one quarter (who hop the fences into the surrounding quarters). Every time they show they kill a half section for a couple of days (shot 2 does for their efforts).

They got me my moose though. Knowing they'd trespass, I'd set up on the "escape route" and got the moose they pushed out.

Lefty-Canuck
11-29-2011, 08:58 PM
I have a guide/outfitter/butcher who lives by me. According to him he says the whitetail rut is coming late this year. He said the moose and elk rut was late and therefore the whitetail rut will be late as well. He predicted it would peak after hunting season was over. True? False? I donno. Hope it is true. Still have my tag

It has been studied and proven the rut occurs about the same time each year....when we see deer each year depends on the weather, when we are there to see the deer, and other activities that affect deer movement (human activity, hunting pressure, habitat loss, etc.) BUT in general the deer have the fawns at the same time each year and that means they were bred at the same time the fall before. Sometimes the rut feels non-existant but all that means is your timing was off (your weren't there to observe it) or they have gone noctournal like they do from time to time.

LC

sheephunter
11-29-2011, 09:24 PM
I typically find the stupid switch gets activated the last week once the majority of does are bred. Tonight was the same....lol

HunterDave
11-29-2011, 09:37 PM
Post rut activity IMO.

sheephunter
11-29-2011, 09:52 PM
Post rut activity IMO.

not here..most bucks are with a doe still.

HunterDave
11-29-2011, 10:40 PM
I figured that you were referring to bucks that were wandering around aimlessly on their own. If they aren't running around looking for does then there's probably not many left to breed.

pottymouth
11-29-2011, 10:49 PM
Was stuck between a monster whitey and big muley both chasing hard tonite !

TreeGuy
11-29-2011, 11:15 PM
If there's any validity to this theory, Sheep, then I'm guessing that our 'best guide' has been rutting since about 1982......... :innocent:

sheephunter
11-29-2011, 11:31 PM
I figured that you were referring to bucks that were wandering around aimlessly on their own. If they aren't running around looking for does then there's probably not many left to breed.

No, they are just standing around in the middle of fields looking lost....both doe and buck together. They may stand there for an hour or more. Or you do see bucks just walking around looking lost. It always happens here these last few days of the season. You know, the stupid switch.

Albertadiver
11-29-2011, 11:37 PM
If there's any validity to this theory, Sheep, then I'm guessing that our 'best guide' has been rutting since about 1982......... :innocent:

Rutting would be a compliment... playing with your thingy is more like it!

Whipper Billy
11-30-2011, 01:50 AM
My son & I finally got out for our 1st (& last) day of deer hunting this last Sat (26th). From our little knoll he shot a WT Doe broadside at 60 yards. There was a 3x3 WT Buck with her and no other deer. We just waited 5 min to go over as she dropped and didn't move. The buck stayed with her until we went over. Then it moved off 20 yards and watched as we walked back & forth taking pictures. He shifted his position but stayed at that 20 yard radius until we started to dress her. Then he moved off 30 yards and eventually disappeared. I was surprised he stuck around at all!

BTW no Antlered WT tag.

PS: Went back today (Tues) while getting 2 grouse and only found 2 blood stains. The rest was picked clean. Absolutely nothing left.

LiegeRiver
11-30-2011, 08:15 AM
It was like that yesterday, from about 2 P.M., until dark. Saw six different muley bucks, and shot the last one. He's a 170-ish buck. They were all cruising, without ANY caution at all. And, NO, I don't have any field pics, or any other pics, at this time. Will post later.

LR:)