PDA

View Full Version : hypothetically....

ishootbambi
11-28-2011, 07:23 PM
you see this standing there....you have a mule tag in your pocket....he's in your zone, permission good, all that good stuff.....do you shoot?

http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m581/isb11/003.jpg

i cant get this thing outta my head. i am thinking about aborting saskatchewan to get back to alberta in time to take this. i still havent seen a truly big buck here, and the clock is ticking. both G2s have a little sticker, plus the bigger one that shows here. he is short on his right G2. he isnt huge....but he's kinda cool. lets hear it....

Elkaholic6
11-28-2011, 07:26 PM
Heck yes.

catnthehat
11-28-2011, 07:26 PM
spotter:"How big do thin-" BOOM!
Hunter: " I dunno, let's go find out!:medium-smiley-035:
Cat

sheephunter
11-28-2011, 07:27 PM
Only one person can answer the question of what you should do Dale. Nice buck...not a monster but definitely respectable. Do what makes you feel good and don't worry what anyone else thinks.

James M
11-28-2011, 07:27 PM
That buck would get Tikka'd if he stepped out in front of me.

Justin.C
11-28-2011, 07:29 PM
Call me dale.

surface2feather
11-28-2011, 07:30 PM
Is this a trick question?

albertadeer
11-28-2011, 07:36 PM
Tough one. Looks like a old beast, has a nice big frame. Hes big, just not huge.

Shoot em....

Kitscoty Bear Slayer(KBS)
11-28-2011, 07:37 PM
Ya I can see your dilema,let him walk,might not get anything but yet if you blast him you know that there is bigger deer.
I say let him walk,he will hopefully be bigger next year.jmo.
Great deer though!!

Drop_Tine
11-28-2011, 07:38 PM
With 2 days left .. Yup id shoot

hal53
11-28-2011, 07:40 PM
Not very wide, but he does have potential...your call....

ishootbambi
11-28-2011, 07:41 PM
Is this a trick question?

not a trick question. my hunting buddy has noticed me moping for the last while. i think its because i havent killed a deer in so long looking for the perfect one that i am sucking the fun out of things. i am contemplating shooting a lesser buck just to remember that hunting is supposed to be fun. i am going to take a couple deer home either way, but id rather shoot a subpar mule than an up and comer whitetail. a doe or two may make the ride home as well.

i think its just the weather getting me glum, and some personal stuff that sent me home in the middle of this trip. i dunno....shooting something always makes me happy, and they wont let me pound coyotes here in saskatchewan. decisions, decisions.....

ishootbambi
11-28-2011, 07:44 PM
heres another angle. no doe in sight, but i walked to within 50 yards of him. why cant whitetails ever do that?

http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m581/isb11/001-1.jpg

tprince
11-28-2011, 07:46 PM
Cat

Hahahahahahahaha! That made me literally laugh out loud!!!

I needed that, thank you

I would drop him

KegRiver
11-28-2011, 07:46 PM
No. I would not shoot.

Alberta Bigbore
11-28-2011, 07:51 PM
I would be crazy not to drop the hammer on him.

catnthehat
11-28-2011, 07:51 PM
Hahahahahahahaha! That made me literally laugh out loud!!!

I needed that, thank you

I would drop him
Hey, it's the way I roll!:sSig_welcome2:
Cat

glen1971
11-28-2011, 07:52 PM
Cat

x2... lol...

I'd be droppin that one Dale...

outdoors forever
11-28-2011, 07:52 PM
That would be a great deer......................................in a few years when he grows up!

:fighting0030:

ZING!!!

All kidding aside, I would shoot that buck. Prolly cause I only have 2 mulies on my resume - a small 3x3 and a light 4x4. I'd love a nice heavy mulie!

elkhunter11
11-28-2011, 07:58 PM
He's no giant, but he certainly isn't small either. I would drop the hammer on him, and have a load of sausage to eat this winter.:)

Justin.C
11-28-2011, 08:01 PM
Pass that one and go kill the one you were trying to get robin. Just like you always say. One deer makes a good trip great. I would shoot a lesser deer in sask and come back for that big mule and that giant wt you saw just past legal.

hal53
11-28-2011, 08:06 PM
Okay question here....Should be a poll, but there are way too many of those...how many of you guys/gals think it's an unsuccessfull season unless you use all your tags???...sorry for the hi-jack Dale.....

guywiththemule
11-28-2011, 08:10 PM
Probably not... decent buck but not enough mass for keeper..:)

walking buffalo
11-28-2011, 08:13 PM
Shoot him Bambi....

And then forever hold your piece regarding Mature Mule deer in Alberta. :D

In honesty and kind.... I think your hunting priorities may need something more than a dead deer to get back on the Fun track.

Time for the next phase in a hunter's maturation.... :)

catnthehat
11-28-2011, 08:13 PM
Okay question here....Should be a poll, but there are way too many of those...how many of you guys/gals think it's an unsuccessfull season unless you use all your tags???...sorry for the hi-jack Dale.....

Nope, not me!
As long as i see deer I'm happy!
I usually buy a general white tail, a general mule deer, and supplemental white tail tags, and have never bothered to fill all of them, all I need is one deer, and if I can get out a few more times before i shoot one, great!:)

Even a few years back when our bird hunt got all messed up and we ended up improvising some days, and didn't take near the birds we normally do,it was STILL a great week of hunting !:)
Cat

Lefty-Canuck
11-28-2011, 08:17 PM
If it was a draw I waited on....and I had only 2 days I would shoot him.

LC

Rancid Crabtree
11-28-2011, 08:18 PM
Yep, I'd take him. Not much season left the harvest isn't everything but it is a valuable part of hunting.

elkhunter11
11-28-2011, 08:19 PM

I have passed up several deer that looked very good, just because I wasn't ready to use my tag early in the season. For me it's about the hunt, not about the kill, that is why I like seeing a nice deer on the last day or two of the season. I have already enjoyed my hunting, and don't mind ending my season as much by then. My friends like hunting with me, because unless the animal is a brute, they usually get the first chance, even if I see the animal first.

winged1
11-28-2011, 08:21 PM
I'd pass with a rifle after seeing the second photo. The bow would be singing at first chance though.

BDAJ
11-28-2011, 08:24 PM
P-u-l-l-t-h-e-t-r-i-g-g-e-r

Badgoodguy
11-28-2011, 08:40 PM
If you dont I am sure someone will

ishootbambi
11-28-2011, 08:47 PM
Shoot him Bambi....

And then forever hold your piece regarding Mature Mule deer in Alberta. :D

In honesty and kind.... I think your hunting priorities may need something more than a dead deer to get back on the Fun track.

Time for the next phase in a hunter's maturation.... :)

you may be right....kinda. these days i try harder to help those around me be successful more than i hunt for myself. i dont need to kill anything to consider the season a success....last year is a great example. never shot anything, but my group did real good. this year is just different.

as for this buck, look close at the first pic. the squinty eyes, and sagging back indicate he's mature and the lack of gagging size indicate he's unlikely to become a real eyepopper. he may gain some inches, but i doubt it will be much.

from another thread...."wiggy" would make me giggle a whole bunch when i look at him, but he is not full grown i dont think. i dunno, at the same time i hate the thought of abandoning whitetail time to fart around with mule deer. sigh.....2 more days....

walking buffalo
11-28-2011, 09:02 PM
you may be right....kinda. these days i try harder to help those around me be successful more than i hunt for myself. i dont need to kill anything to consider the season a success....last year is a great example. never shot anything, but my group did real good. this year is just different.

as for this buck, look close at the first pic. the squinty eyes, and sagging back indicate he's mature and the lack of gagging size indicate he's unlikely to become a real eyepopper. he may gain some inches, but i doubt it will be much.

from another thread...."wiggy" would make me giggle a whole bunch when i look at him, but he is not full grown i dont think. i dunno, at the same time i hate the thought of abandoning whitetail time to fart around with mule deer. sigh.....2 more days....

The "Kinda" is parcel to the transition. Change usually does not happen overnight.

I feel I'm in a similar place.... Love chasing big bucks, but losing the killer instinct.

Last week I spotted a monster 3 point WT (Bambi style) with a 10-12" kicker coming back off a g-2. This guy was easily 180....

What did I do about it? I passed the shot to a young guy, who ended up missing him while I filmed. Oh well....

I could have come back by myself for that buck and likely killed him, as he was on a hot doe in an area of limited cover, and she was still in the area, but instead it was time to move on, keep the kids entertained.

Sorry to say it Bambi, but before long the inches just won't matter so much to you.... ;)

livinthedream
11-28-2011, 09:16 PM
If you have to ask .........

Jamie
11-28-2011, 09:22 PM
Depends if you are a trophy hunter. And what level of Trophy you are looking for. As well as how much time you have left, need or want of meat. ECT ECT

Your call but no shame in taking any Deer.

Me.. I wouldnt take him with 30 seconds left in the season. But then I am not a huge fan of Deer meat and I am looking for something around 200. I have passed bigger on the final day. BUT I am still looking!!!

Good luck
Jamie

Justin.C
11-28-2011, 09:22 PM
finish your sask hunt and go back and kill the big old mule.. That deer will be there if you need to pull the trigger...:)... I hope all turns out Bud... Just keep rassin Gary and your trip will be better. Hey just think you could have got scope eye like gary sighting in his gun...LOL:scared0018:

ishootbambi
11-28-2011, 09:24 PM
Last week I spotted a monster 3 point WT (Bambi style) with a 10-12" kicker coming back off a g-2. This guy was easily 180....

What did I do about it? I passed the shot to a young guy, who ended up missing him while I filmed. Oh well....

Sorry to say it Bambi, but before long the inches just won't matter so much to you.... ;)

i actually wondered about that when my kid was old enough to hunt. i was curious what would happen when a 170 plus buck walked out and eric was on deck? honestly, the thought of shooting first never crossed my mind. in fact i didnt shoot second either.

its not bothering me so much that i may not kill a big buck this year....like i said, last year was a lot of fun and a success in every way. its hard to explain...especially when i dont even fully understand it myself. i think thats why im thinking of starting over......just shoot a couple little guys for the sheer joy of hunting.

meh....or mr wonderful could make an appearance in the morning.....:sHa_shakeshout:

dshaw
11-28-2011, 09:27 PM
Thats a tough one Dale! he's a mature deer but like has been said not huge. If it was me and a draw tag with a couple days left I would pull the trigger and enjoy the success of the season! plus any buck looks great once there on the wall!!! good luck either way!

super7mag
11-28-2011, 09:34 PM
Let em walk and hope he makes a year, sucsess is measured many ways. An enjoyable hunt is one, with or without a kill.

rielbowhunter
11-28-2011, 09:39 PM
Hey Dale , I am having some of the same dilemma's . It's really hard being a trophy hunter some days. Today I sat there staring at at 160 wt buck in range with my bow in hand but I know there is a bigger buck around, at least there was two days ago. What I asked my self was, am I going to pay to to this deer on my wall? .... well ... I let him walk. I can live with the choice tonight, we will see how I feel come wednesday 6pm. good luck to you. its always fun to shoot, gun or bow.

just_dave
11-28-2011, 09:47 PM
Why the eff not? He's Awesome. And that shall be his name from this day forth.

I just named him for you, hope you don't mind.

j m
11-28-2011, 09:52 PM
No. I would not shoot.

X2

I have no desire to shoot a muley buck with a neck that big. Earlier in the season, no question. He is a great deer but think I can smell him from here.
:fighting0074:

HunterDave
11-28-2011, 11:44 PM
You make it sound like that buck is going to charge you and throw himself on your bayonet when he sees ya! :lol:

If you don't feel challenged then no wonder you aren't more excited. That buck might have different ideas about being seen and shot but if I thought that I had a crack at him then I'd go for it........he's a great buck IMO......although not quite as awesome as Albertabigbore's drop tine mulie. :D

Go git him! :character0110:

BigRackLover
11-29-2011, 08:33 AM
Only one person can answer the question of what you should do Dale.

that's it ... nothing else to say

frenchwhitey
11-29-2011, 09:38 AM
Sounds like you got some sleepless nights ahead of you man. Thinking too much just makes the whole deal worse IMO. Go plug some does or maybe just bring the camera around for a few days. Sometimes it's just nice to get out and get some nice pics. Either way you'll have plenty of time to figure it out this winter while you slam some yotes!!! Good luck with the rest of the season. Hope she works out!!!! Cheers. Whitey

frenchwhitey
11-29-2011, 09:40 AM
BTW I would shoot but that is way bigger than any mulie I've seen live. Curious what do you think he scores??? 180 ish would be my guess but I'm always off!!LOL! Whitey

KegRiver
11-29-2011, 09:54 AM
X2

I have no desire to shoot a muley buck with a neck that big. Earlier in the season, no question. He is a great deer but think I can smell him from here.
:fighting0074:

That's partly what I had in mind, but also that he looks like he could get a lot bigger.
There's lots of small deer out there for filling a freezer and enough good sized bucks that for one reason or another that don't hve much potentual, that I'd pass on this one.

In fact I did just that, twice this fall.

Now if I had not takenn a Mulie before, or if I had only taken fork horns in the past, I would probibly take him.

slough shark
11-29-2011, 10:29 AM
I would have a hard time telling you to leave sask as you never know what is going to come out there. That is a good buck imo (I'm guessing 175ish) and you are right he will likely never amount to a whole lot more than that perhaps another 5-10 inches if that depending on the feed year, there was a lot of good feed around this year out east so he very well may be at his peak. I shot my best mule this year and he was around that size (grossed 172ish and netted 167) I figured that was a good buck for me considering I wasn't able to get out and scout more than a couple of days this year (curse living 3 1/2 hours away from my hunting grounds) I did see a buck or 2 that I would love to see next time I'm drawn as they showed fantastic potential ( I pegged 1 at around 150-160 and he was I'm guessing 3 1/2 perhaps even 2 1/2 as his body still had a fair bit of growing to do but likely 3 1/2). Anyways I digress, Only you can be the one to decide whether or not you want to shoot a mule buck that most would be happy with or to stay in sask and possibly shoot the unseen monster whitey that may be lurking... tough call.

ishootbambi
11-29-2011, 06:10 PM
I would have a hard time telling you to leave sask as you never know what is going to come out there. That is a good buck imo (I'm guessing 175ish) and you are right he will likely never amount to a whole lot more than that perhaps another 5-10 inches if that depending on the feed year, there was a lot of good feed around this year out east so he very well may be at his peak.

Anyways I digress, Only you can be the one to decide whether or not you want to shoot a mule buck that most would be happy with or to stay in sask and possibly shoot the unseen monster whitey that may be lurking... tough call.

thats about what i was thinking...175 ish gross. he looks mature to me, but the only sure way to tell is the teeth. i asked him to give me one, but he said nay-nay. :sHa_sarcasticlol:

as for what to do.....sigh.....still undecided. we are going up to the farmers hut tonight to tear into a bottle of gibsons. im hoping to find some clarity in my head soon......:evilgrin:

ishootbambi
11-29-2011, 06:18 PM
That's partly what I had in mind, but also that he looks like he could get a lot bigger.
There's lots of small deer out there for filling a freezer and enough good sized bucks that for one reason or another that don't hve much potentual, that I'd pass on this one.

In fact I did just that, twice this fall.

Now if I had not takenn a Mulie before, or if I had only taken fork horns in the past, I would probibly take him.

keg....you are baffling me once again with your contradicting posts. you say this in this thread, but last week you said...

I don't know much about scoring Mule Deer, so I'm wondering, is this Buck big enough to make book.

My BIL missed this buck a few days ago, and yesterday he took a nice Mulie that was considerably smaller then this one. To me the Buck he took looked big, then this one showed up on my trail camera, less then 100 yards from where Ziggy took his buck.

We are planning on hunting this herd again next year, or as soon as either of us can get drawn. So is this one big enough to put in an extra effort to get or not?

]

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac10/ishootbambi/kegslittlemule.jpg

i dont get you at all. you wont shoot a mid 70s buck here, but think a mid 40s buck is a boone and crockett contender? can you explain?

pottymouth
11-29-2011, 06:31 PM
isb, what are you the post police ?? Whats with giving Keg a hard time all week. Who cares !! Grow up ! It's his opinion and he can change it when ever he wants.......

So sick of you always attacking other guys on here, you do it more than anyone !!!:snapoutofit:

ishootbambi
11-29-2011, 06:33 PM
isb, what are you the post police ?? Whats with giving Keg a hard time all week. Who cares !! Grow up ! It's his opinion and he can change it when ever he wants.......

So sick of you always attacking other guys on here, you do it more than anyone !!!:snapoutofit:

you betcha mr contradiction. :scared:

i asked a question....he can answer...or not.....not sure how it affects your life little fella? :confused0024:

pottymouth
11-29-2011, 06:47 PM
you betcha mr contradiction. :scared:

i asked a question....he can answer...or not.....not sure how it affects your life little fella? :confused0024:

Man your just pathethic, go drink your sorry life away !

ishootbambi
11-29-2011, 06:51 PM
yup...drinks with friends the last night im here is awful......:thinking-006:

http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m581/isb11/quitwhining.jpg

walking buffalo
11-29-2011, 07:07 PM
i actually wondered about that when my kid was old enough to hunt. i was curious what would happen when a 170 plus buck walked out and eric was on deck? honestly, the thought of shooting first never crossed my mind. in fact i didnt shoot second either.

its not bothering me so much that i may not kill a big buck this year....like i said, last year was a lot of fun and a success in every way. its hard to explain...especially when i dont even fully understand it myself. i think thats why im thinking of starting over......just shoot a couple little guys for the sheer joy of hunting.

meh....or mr wonderful could make an appearance in the morning.....:sHa_shakeshout:

ISB,

A good rewarding hunt is not measured in inches, and your gut is trying to get this fact through to your head.

You've taken many big bucks. That part of your career has been satisfied. The challenge now is to find the next rewarding direction for your hunting passion.

People often have the answer to their problem, but want to ignore it. Go back to the bolded comment you made. Your words make Complete sense to me....

My last four bucks would not total 170", while passing up several near book deer every year.

I mentioned a year ago about a young buck I have been trying to keep tabs on. Three years ago he was a monster 1 1/2 year old that I originally thought was a regressed oldtimer. Here are his first years sheds, scoring 130....

Two years ago I had him lined up at 20 yards, with a cameraman filming over my shoulder. The buck was now a 4x5 with a 22" inside spread, likely 160.... I decided to pass, knowing he was young and of special genes, and that I had some good video rolling. Well, the cameraman didn't push the play button....

I never saw the buck last year, or so far this year, and have become convinced he was gone. That all changed about two hours ago. I snuck into his old bedroom, a shyt-tangle mess of willows, and caught a glimpse of him just as I was setting up for a rattling session. I had two seconds to view his wide tall rack, dark with great ivory tips, and it was all MASS! The beast is hittin' his prime!

The wind changed on me and I had to bail out of the swamp. But now I know he is alive, and I know where I will be tomorrow morning, as pumped up for a hunt as I have been in years....

I don't have a clue what this buck will score, and I don't care. This has become personal, and he is as challenging as they come. IF I ever get him, the four year long hunt will be a favorite composite of memories.

The hunt is individual for all of us, but I suspect this story may be relevant to you....

FCLightning
11-29-2011, 07:07 PM
Nope.

ishootbambi
11-29-2011, 07:14 PM
im with you buff. i wish i hunted a little closer to home. 6 hours one way is a little much to be scooping sheds and babysitting tcams and whatnot. i love the idea of picking a couple youngsters and watching them bloom into something, and then making the chosen one a mission. but down home there just isnt really the option. the average lifespan of anything with antlers is 18 months.

on the up side...today was a great day. ill post some pics when the fun is all done. all i can say for sure is that the buck pictured will live on.

ishootbambi
12-11-2011, 05:37 PM
on the up side...today was a great day. ill post some pics when the fun is all done. all i can say for sure is that the buck pictured will live on.

an update on this buck....he will not live on. story is he was killed on the 29th by a young hunter around 14 or 15. not a for sure score, but reports are 174 gross. im working on tracking down pics. the guy nor his dad are members here, but im trying to get the story and pics. if i do, i will post.

Wisebuck
12-14-2011, 10:20 PM
hey isb, any more to update?

ishootbambi
12-14-2011, 11:12 PM
hey isb, any more to update?

i have seen the pic, and have asked for a forward, but dad said he didnt want him posted on the interweb.

its definitely the same buck, and the score sounds reasonable.

i also found out that for sure a 211 gross buck was killed in the same wmu...but about 20 miles away, so not the same buck.

also, the buck i named wiggy has been found dead recently. i have come into posession of the antlers, and right now they are at the local fish and wildlife office waiting to be picked up with a found dead permit. those are the only pics that will be coming for sure. i dont know the guys who killed the 211, so all i can do is hope it shows up here eventually.

buck-8835
12-15-2011, 04:37 PM
Drop em like a two foot putt!!!

trigger7mm
12-15-2011, 06:33 PM
Personally, I would be happy with a pic of him this year, and I'd try to get him next season with my bow.

topgun2269
12-15-2011, 06:45 PM
you see this standing there....you have a mule tag in your pocket....he's in your zone, permission good, all that good stuff.....do you shoot?

http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m581/isb11/003.jpg

i cant get this thing outta my head. i am thinking about aborting saskatchewan to get back to alberta in time to take this. i still havent seen a truly big buck here, and the clock is ticking. both G2s have a little sticker, plus the bigger one that shows here. he is short on his right G2. he isnt huge....but he's kinda cool. lets hear it....

hell ya

wbl170
12-15-2011, 06:59 PM
He's a good looking deer but for me his backs are to short. Next year with a bow would be fun! It's already been said "only you can answer that one". But i dare say you already know the answer to that question. It's a journey for all of us. Great success on yours!

Coniferous
12-15-2011, 07:15 PM
Already shot it......

Coniferous
12-15-2011, 07:16 PM
For sure take that buck - beautiful deer - pull the trigger!!

BADBOY
12-15-2011, 09:28 PM
BOOM..... I dont eat horns:character0175:

Bushmaster
12-15-2011, 09:34 PM
Pass........

ishootbambi
12-16-2011, 05:37 PM
Already shot it......

if you are the kid, or the kids dad....PLEASE post pics of him!