PDA

View Full Version : milo/mcgregor ice

Mikediz
11-29-2011, 09:29 AM
has anyone been to the damn at milo, is the ice thick enough to walk on?

ak-71
11-29-2011, 10:33 AM
It took some nerve last Sunday, I did, but it didn't feel too safe, especially with high wind and an inch of water on the top of the ice

the local angler
11-29-2011, 05:10 PM
i heard through a 3rd party that with the recent warmer temps that what ever ice formed on macgregor and travers has already melted. not sure how true or accurate this info is.

WayneChristie
11-29-2011, 05:59 PM
i heard through a 3rd party that with the recent warmer temps that what ever ice formed on macgregor and travers has already melted. not sure how true or accurate this info is.

Lake down by me, less than an hour from Travers, is still ice covered, as of Sunday, only now it has mel****er on top. I drilled a test hole about 50 feet from shore and there was 7 or 8 inches in that spot, should last a week or two anyways before it would all melt, and with the winter storm warning I dont know how warm its going to be now.

happyfisher
11-29-2011, 10:41 PM
ill b on mcgreagor on sat.....im kinda worried......but with -19 over night on weds....and the rest of the week to go i hope ill b fine....

my friend lives on the lake in the narrow middle ...i talked with him he said still open water on north side...in middle.....

im puttin my shack out there indefinably so im ready.....but i bought a little buddy heater...3800 btu didnt keep shack warm......but i got a kerosene old red heater......

will i die?

happy

WayneChristie
11-30-2011, 07:20 AM
I used a kerosene heater in my tent the first season I got it. didnt die but it wasnt fun. unless you like blurry vision and a wicked headache :) pick up a sunflower heater and a 20 pound propane tank, keep the tank outside, have good ventilation and you will be warm and a lot safer

the local angler
11-30-2011, 04:48 PM
hmm interesting cause i bought a kerosene heater off of one of my customers at work new in the box. i have been told the same thing and have plenty of ventilation. maybe i should just sell it cause i bought a new buddy heater too.

Kokanee9
11-30-2011, 05:15 PM
I used to have a kerosene heater in a double garage and they do give off a lot of fumes.

Ice fishing with one would be tricky. Would have to question the amount of ventilation needed versus the actual heat output.

Might be better off with something else.

WayneChristie
11-30-2011, 05:55 PM
hmm interesting cause i bought a kerosene heater off of one of my customers at work new in the box. i have been told the same thing and have plenty of ventilation. maybe i should just sell it cause i bought a new buddy heater too.

havent touched mine since I got the buddy heater, also have a sunflower for backup. I use a 10 pound tank so either is good for quite a while, the buddy lasts a few weekends on that tank.

jacenbeers
11-30-2011, 08:45 PM
I will be at McGregor from dawn till dusk tomorrow. Let me know by tomorrow AM if you wanna meet up.

happyfisher
11-30-2011, 09:26 PM
yeah.....i do have a sunflower and a little heater buddy......so i guess ill get a hose and run it into shack???? so a 20lb tank and a hose and im good to go? should i get a CO detector? do i take the sunflower heater and "clamp " it down to the floor so i dont burn myself down?

This site is awesome and all those that help out it is really appreciated!!!!!

this sat im out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WayneChristie
11-30-2011, 10:04 PM
yeah.....i do have a sunflower and a little heater buddy......so i guess ill get a hose and run it into shack???? so a 20lb tank and a hose and im good to go? should i get a CO detector? do i take the sunflower heater and "clamp " it down to the floor so i dont burn myself down?

This site is awesome and all those that help out it is really appreciated!!!!!

this sat im out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I use a 5 foot hose for the buddy, with the sunflower I bring the tank inside and clamp it to the tank. had a 2 man tent and it was too much but its great in the 4 man. for a bigger shack I think Id get one with the dual heads and maybe rig up a mount so I could leave the bottle outside.n if its insulated enough the buddy might even be enough to keep it comfortable. Id go with a co2 detector as well, cheap insurance.

happyfisher
11-30-2011, 10:26 PM
i have a home made 2 man shack very little room......i think i will put 20lb tank outside and run hose into shack with sunflower clamped down to the floor to prevent knocking it over ...also i think i need a carbon monoxide detector...not a carbon dioxide detector....correct?

shack looks like this.....

http://www.google.ca/imgres?q=make+own+ice+fishing+shack&um=1&hl=en&client=firefox-a&sa=N&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&biw=1260&bih=653&tbm=isch&tbnid=ZC0D8aqCFUXZGM:&imgrefurl=http://www.icefishingcrazy.com/&docid=kRc7NmgXtqx1mM&imgurl=http://stopsnoringnow.com/iceshanty/images/shack1.jpg&w=500&h=375&ei=_A_XTtbmLqPc2AXpxrzODg&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=189&vpy=161&dur=699&hovh=191&hovw=254&tx=156&ty=81&sig=116139216420776172005&page=1&tbnh=136&tbnw=181&start=0&ndsp=18&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0

WayneChristie
12-01-2011, 07:27 AM
monoxide yes. it was a long day :sHa_sarcasticlol:

happyfisher
12-01-2011, 04:43 PM
thanks man u rule!!!!

jacenbeers
12-01-2011, 07:32 PM
I spent the day out at McGregor today. I landed a small pike and a really nice pike. Some whites, kept one of them for the fryer. I had tons of burbot action on my rod that was in deep water but couldnt set the hook until the very last one I caught. I think it is about 3 feet long but I havent measured yet. Will post pics of the white and burb after I go to dinner.

The ice was great. It was really solid way out from the day. I went out over 200 feet and it was solid.

happyfisher
12-01-2011, 11:09 PM
hey im headin out saturday.....im gunna use smelts? is that good enough? for the brubs how deep were u? do i use maggots for the whites......im not a pro just askin....

happy

jacenbeers
12-02-2011, 07:51 AM
Smalts are fine for burbots. I used no bait for the whites.

skiwili
12-02-2011, 07:57 AM
that's good news. I will be there early morning and then :scared0018:I will go to PCR

jacenbeers
12-02-2011, 03:33 PM
I am also heading to McGregor early tomorrow to hit some more whites and maybe a few burbots.

slingshotz
12-02-2011, 04:28 PM
Was the burb action during the day? Last year I only saw one swimming with the whites. I'm hoping to head out on Sunday if I can get over the flu, was supposed to go today but not feeling good enough.

jacenbeers
12-02-2011, 06:28 PM
Yah the burb bite was during the day. Actually, as soon as it got really dark everything stopped. I saw some nice burbs in my hole too. It was pretty neat to watch them.

Was the burb action during the day? Last year I only saw one swimming with the whites. I'm hoping to head out on Sunday if I can get over the flu, was supposed to go today but not feeling good enough.

slingshotz
12-02-2011, 07:32 PM
That's cool, were you close along the dam wall or out further? I'd like to see how burbs look in the day with my camera, very rarely see them.

WayneChristie
12-02-2011, 07:49 PM
That's cool, were you close along the dam wall or out further? I'd like to see how burbs look in the day with my camera, very rarely see them.

place you got the whites near me, is full of burbs, although it may be frozen solid by now. crazy seeing them through the ice in pretty much zero water. all sizes of them

npauls
12-02-2011, 08:18 PM
place you got the whites near me, is full of burbs, although it may be frozen solid by now. crazy seeing them through the ice in pretty much zero water. all sizes of them

Are you allowed to use the bow on burbs Wayne? Maybe you should tote it around so that if you see them again you can rip an arrow in there if it is legal.

WayneChristie
12-02-2011, 08:22 PM
Burbs and whites, both legal. going to give the ice a try tomorrow on that other lake, hopefully its thick enough. The burbs were smarter than the whites, they didnt come out into the open water. If the lake ice is too thin I will go give them a try . I hate to think of them freezing solid, although once they are I can go fishing with just an axe!
:sHa_shakeshout:

jacenbeers
12-02-2011, 10:24 PM

WHen I was seeing the burb through the hole I was 7 feet off the rocks.

calgarygringo
12-02-2011, 10:28 PM
Hopefully Will is up to it Sunday, we are going to give that close to shore fishing a try. I have never gone at first ice as I am not fond of the thin stuff . I always miss the early season action but if it is walkable and close I am going to give it a go. I would like to yard out some of those big whiteys and maybe a couple burbs for dinner.

AK47
12-03-2011, 11:09 AM
Two of us got 14 whites yesterday and two keeper pike. Released 5 small pike as well, but did not see any burbot. Ice was solid 3-4 inches.