PDA

View Full Version : Bait for rainbows

Thundercatcher
11-29-2011, 11:55 PM
I have never caught a rainbow ice fishing? What bait works best. I might try chickakoo next week. Thanks

Kokanee9
11-30-2011, 02:25 AM
After trying many different things, I settled on worms as my favorite. Dew worms, not the redworms.

Albertafisher
11-30-2011, 10:58 AM
Personally I like using jigs tipped with minnows or jigging rapalas. Good luck!

fishman
11-30-2011, 11:47 AM
I like to use velveta cheese , bread and garlic powder.......i find you have to play with it to get the right texture or it will be to soft.........then i make balls out of it and let it dry out

FishingFrenzy
11-30-2011, 11:49 AM
I like to use velveta cheese , bread and garlic powder.......i find you have to play with it to get the right texture or it will be to soft.........then i make balls out of it and let it dry out

That sounds like a good snack...............:scared0018:

TheLegend
11-30-2011, 12:50 PM
shrimp

Thundercatcher
11-30-2011, 12:55 PM
What size hook do you guys use for the bait?and do you use a split shot to get it down?

BGSH
11-30-2011, 01:34 PM
What size hook do you guys use for the bait?and do you use a split shot to get it down?

The same you were using in summer time man, by the way that is funny how the other guy has your real name in it and thunder lol what are the chances by the way check out this link, ice fishing for trout

http://www.gofishbc.com/tips_articles/ice.htm

Kevin_Thunder
11-30-2011, 02:03 PM
The same you were using in summer time man, by the way that is funny how the other guy has your real name in it and thunder lol what are the chances

Is this going to be brought up again? :1041:

I have never caught a rainbow ice fishing? What bait works best. I might try chickakoo next week. Thanks

Swedish pimple works for me. :happy0034:

Thundercatcher
11-30-2011, 02:14 PM
do you use a real small bait hook ir a real small jig?

BGSH
11-30-2011, 02:22 PM
Is this going to be brought up again? :1041:

Swedish pimple works for me. :happy0034:

lol lots, thanks for the laugh :)

finner-duramax
11-30-2011, 02:25 PM
Maggots, by far the best with a small gamagatsu

Thundercatcher
11-30-2011, 02:52 PM
I listened to the fishing hole report and they said scud bugs, fire eyes, and Shrimpos are working for rainbows. What are those and where do you buy them? lol

Paul C
11-30-2011, 04:42 PM
Maggots, by far the best with a small gamagatsu
Bingo.... that works the best. Good fishing advice Finner- Duramax.

Kevin_Thunder
11-30-2011, 05:00 PM
I listened to the fishing hole report and they said scud bugs, fire eyes, and Shrimpos are working for rainbows. What are those and where do you buy them? lol

I'm going to go out on a limb and say maybe The Fishin' Hole?

BGSH
11-30-2011, 05:03 PM

Hmmm i dont knowwww :test:

Paul C
11-30-2011, 05:05 PM
I clicked on that hyper link on the bottom of your post:sHa_shakeshout: and thanks for the laughs

Elk Chaser
11-30-2011, 05:10 PM
Shrimp x2

Paul C
11-30-2011, 05:39 PM
Shrimp works well but the trout can pull the bait off of the hook easily.
Nothing more frustrating than having your hook raped by greedy trout.

bloopbloob
11-30-2011, 05:45 PM
I clicked on that hyper link on the bottom of your post:sHa_shakeshout: and thanks for the laughs

haha +1 !!!

SonnyJ
11-30-2011, 05:59 PM
Corn..

fish on 2
11-30-2011, 07:26 PM
Corn..

Corn is good if you intend to keep everthing you catch. It doesn't break down inside of you...trout is the same. You may bung them up!!!

Kokanee9
11-30-2011, 08:25 PM
20 years ago it was known that corn killed the fish. I'm surprised people are still using that for bait and thought they would know better. I guess some people must keep everything that they catch, no matter what size it is.

SonnyJ
11-30-2011, 08:31 PM
20 years ago it was known that corn killed the fish. I'm surprised people are still using that for bait and thought they would know better. I guess some people must keep everything that they catch, no matter what size it is.

Settle down little buckaroo....

I posted "corn" because I knew I'd get a reaction and I sure did "hook line and sinker you"....:sHa_shakeshout:

iliketrout
11-30-2011, 08:38 PM
Raw shrimp or worms.

Dust1n
11-30-2011, 08:59 PM
rainbow trout are opportunist feeders and will key on certain food items during a specific time(hatch).
I haven't seen many rainbows pass up worms and shrimp though.
power bait
corn(dosnt digest)
leeches
marshmallows
or a simple J hook with nothing on it under a bober to imitate a cronimid.

Fish face
12-01-2011, 09:42 AM
the small packs of coctail shrimp i get at the deli from safeway.
Small jig. mitzi ditzi size. sick on 1/2 a shrimp about
a foot off bottom

Paul C
12-01-2011, 03:52 PM
Corn..
Corn works but the fish do not digest them well. The other factor is that corn can be easily be removed from the hook. Trout love to bait rape your hook.

HunterDave
12-01-2011, 04:22 PM

That's an old wives tale.........unless of course you use the whole cob. :lol:

http://www.fish.state.pa.us/images/pages/qa/fish_regs/corn_chum.htm

"Commission fisheries biologist Tom Bender at our Benner Spring Fish Research Station conducted a study in 1992 that examined the impact of corn on trout. For the study, two groups of hatchery rainbow trout were held in separate tanks and tested for 54 days. In one tank, 20 rainbow trout (average size 8.3 inches) were fed a diet of whole kernel corn. In the second tank, 20 rainbow trout of the same size were fed a standard trout pellet diet.
During the 54 day study period, no mortalities occurred from trout of either study group. However, study results did show that the trout fed with a corn diet did not digest the corn particularly well. The growth observed by the corn-fed trout during the study period was only about half of that observed from the trout that were fed the standard trout pellet diet.

The conclusion from this study was that there appears to be little reason for concern about the short term health hazards for rainbow trout when whole kernel corn is used for bait. Although there are better diets for trout than whole kernel corn, this study confirms that mortality does not occur when trout ingest whole kernel corn."

Kokanee9
12-01-2011, 04:41 PM

"Commission fisheries biologist Tom Bender at our Benner Spring Fish Research Station conducted a study in 1992 that examined the impact of corn on trout. For the study, two groups of hatchery rainbow trout were held in separate tanks and tested for 54 days. In one tank, 20 rainbow trout (average size 8.3 inches) were fed a diet of whole kernel corn. In the second tank, 20 rainbow trout of the same size were fed a standard trout pellet diet.
During the 54 day study period, no mortalities occurred from trout of either study group. However, study results did show that the trout fed with a corn diet did not digest the corn particularly well. The growth observed by the corn-fed trout during the study period was only about half of that observed from the trout that were fed the standard trout pellet diet.

The conclusion from this study was that there appears to be little reason for concern about the short term health hazards for rainbow trout when whole kernel corn is used for bait. Although there are better diets for trout than whole kernel corn, this study confirms that mortality does not occur when trout ingest whole kernel corn."

Good to see that no fish died from the corn diet. They still showed signs of the corn being hard to digest and slower growth rates. That in itself is enough reason to not use it. Also the study was in Pennsylvania. We have a longer cold water season which slows down the metabolism rates of the fish. The results of a similar study conducted during frozen water temperatures may very well have different results.

There are plenty of other appropriate items which will work just as well without causing harm, and I still believe that there is no excuse for it.

HunterDave
12-01-2011, 04:49 PM
Good to see that no fish died from the corn diet. They still showed signs of the corn being hard to digest and slower growth rates. That in itself is enough reason to not use it.

The slower growth rates are from the lower nutritional value of the corn in comparison to the pellets. I've opened trout up and found snail shells in there. Fishing with a kernel of corn will do absolutely no harm whatsoever to the trout. It is simply a myth and that's all.

Paul C
12-01-2011, 04:51 PM

HunterDave,
I have cleaned out 3 lb trout with there lower intestine tract filled with corn that has not been broken down by the stomach enzymes. I am not a biologist but common sense tells me this is not good for them.

HunterDave
12-01-2011, 05:33 PM
HunterDave,
I have cleaned out 3 lb trout with there lower intestine tract filled with corn that has not been broken down by the stomach enzymes. I am not a biologist but common sense tells me this is not good for them.

You guys ought to bring this info forward to the SRD biologists to get whole kernel corn prohibited for fishing use. :)

trigger7mm
12-01-2011, 07:33 PM
I like using a Mitsi Ditsi, green with black dots works good, with either maggots or a small ball of power bait on it. Just don't make the balls too big, Half the size of a pea. Good luck.

trigger7mm
12-01-2011, 07:37 PM
I like using a green mitsi ditsi with black dots tipped with either maggots or power bait. Just be sure your power bait balls are small, about half the size of a pea. Good luck! this is what works very well for me.

Jiffy10
12-02-2011, 01:24 PM
been a few years since we jigged for the smaller rainbows.
Then we used small jigs tipped with pink powebait.
they were real small worm like and came in a link.
seemed to work ok. I thing the maggots we had
kept falling off.

When we go to deifenbaker in Sask. they are much bigger
and a minnow on a bigger jig catches Pike / walleyes / and
rainbows. One hook pleases everyone !!

I would think that the size of the lake / fish would kind of
determine how big or small your jigs should be.

see you on the ice...

jrs
12-02-2011, 02:52 PM
Corn on a small spoon, its what the big one's like ;) That feeding study is still a classic, think id look a bit unhealthy if i was only fed corn too....

iluvfishin
12-02-2011, 02:54 PM
Worms where allowed, I have never missed on good ol real worms. I use the big dew worms but usually only a half of one. Natural bait works best IMHO.

whitetail Junkie
12-02-2011, 03:04 PM

Bar none,the best bait for ice fishing Rainbows is useing Trout eggs in orange or red nylon....aka (Baggies).If you happen to catch and keep a female trout with spawn always keep the eggs and roll your own nylon baggies.you can buy roe baggies at most major hunting and fishing stores.

I love ice fishing trout and cant wait to get out! Good luck!

one shot
12-02-2011, 03:08 PM
orange berkly gulp with krill and sparkles on a small gammy hook. have been using a drop shot style hook also works well.

fishunter
12-02-2011, 05:41 PM
popcorn or mini marshmellows

Thundercatcher
12-02-2011, 06:45 PM
What depth would the RAinbows be at this time of year at CHickakoo lake?

fishunter
12-02-2011, 08:28 PM
hi and low, there was lots of info from this trend. now we expect you to go out there tomorrow and report back here asap,

Dust1n
12-02-2011, 08:32 PM
expect them to be right under the ice.

Thundercatcher
12-03-2011, 09:47 PM
Anyone been to Chickakoo lake in teh past few days? Whats working there?

Kevin_Thunder
12-04-2011, 11:30 AM
You've already been given good advice from a bunch of people, what else do you want us to tell you?

It's called "fishing" and not "catching" for a reason, it's also why we all have tackle bags/boxes. You have a power auger, bring out a bunch of lures/bait, do the legwork and just go for it!

Thundercatcher
12-04-2011, 05:04 PM
well, excuse me for asking

SalmoTrutta
12-04-2011, 05:24 PM
I use flies to fish pretty much everything, you will do well fishing for trout using; Scuds (shrimp looking things) Green and Grey work well, Caddis Larvae ( greenish color worms with dark heads) and Chronomids ( tiny striped worms) in Black, Red, Green, Grey. And Leeches of many different colors. All occur different times of the year at different times of the day. There's a little more thinking involved than bait fishing but it's what the fish are eating naturally, flies have their advantages when the extra time is put in to do a little homework :)

Kevin_Thunder
12-04-2011, 06:16 PM
I use flies to fish pretty much everything, you will do well fishing for trout using; Scuds (shrimp looking things) Green and Grey work well, Caddis Larvae ( greenish color worms with dark heads) and Chronomids ( tiny striped worms) in Black, Red, Green, Grey. And Leeches of many different colors. All occur different times of the year at different times of the day. There's a little more thinking involved than bait fishing but it's what the fish are eating naturally, flies have their advantages when the extra time is put in to do a little homework :)

I've never used flies for ice fishing, its always something that I wanted to do. Maybe this is the year. :happy0034:
Judging from the quality of the multitude of questions he asks, I don't think he likes to think.

Thundercatcher - Ok, I give up, I caught a few brookies and rainbows from Chickakoo a few days ago, I'll let you know what I used. Firstly, I was wearing my lucky underwear. I put them on with my left leg first, followed by my right. Then I put on my lucky shirt, right arm first follow by my left. I finished it off with my lucky jeans, (this is where it gets tricky), I put them on with both legs at the same time. I find sitting on the edge of the bed when you put them on makes it much easier. Throw on any ratty jacket you want, I find that doesn't affect my fishing. At the lake, I caught my fish using jigheads and small spoons tipped with pieces of worm... one guy caught his using a Marmish w/ what I assume was a Marmish lure. I saw another guy catch some with maggots. A little while back, I saw another guy using corn on a bare hook with some success. I even saw a guy get lucky with a green mister twister jig.

However, none of them limited out as fast as I did, so I must conclude that it was my lucky underwear, shirt and pants.

Good luck out there! :happy0034: