PDA

View Full Version : Night fishing for burbs at Wizard

Tyangelo
11-30-2011, 04:05 AM
Working the night shift has given me little option about where I'm able to fish during the week, but gives me opportunity to really get into night fishing. Knowing the basic strategies of burbot fishing, other than glow jig heads etc, what other factors can a guy consider when targeting burbs in the wee hours of the morn'? I plan on using smelt/herring on glow jig heads. The flasher will obviously be really handy as well. What depth should I be targeting etc? Any special jigging techniques I should try?

laut
11-30-2011, 06:20 AM
Any rattling spoon will work good. Glow and rattling spoon all together with a piece of minnow or sucker belly white meat. I usually catch them all night long especially during spawning season. good luck.

Jiffy10
11-30-2011, 10:15 AM
Thinkin something dead and rotting might be your best bet.

Not sure how much Burbs use their sight versus their smell but
I beleive that the smell is their first sense of finding food.

Noise might be second and sight might be last.

so.... rotten noisey bait might be the way to go ...

best of luck ... let us all know your results. .......

codywf
11-30-2011, 06:36 PM
As far as jigging goes I just go right to the bottom and lift up 2 feet and let it drop, basically smash in off the bottom, it stirs up silt and spreads the smell of your bait.

Kevin_Thunder
11-30-2011, 06:43 PM
I think they respond more to smell than anything. I use smelts on a bigger jighead suspended 1-2 inches from the bottom. I occasionally smash the jig against the bottom to stir up dirt, but everytime I got one, the bait was completely still. I want to try some catfish dough one day, I hear that stuff smells pretty bad.

Tyangelo
11-30-2011, 07:08 PM
Sounds good. Anyone been to wizard yet? How's the ice?

horsetrader
11-30-2011, 11:17 PM
I think they respond more to smell than anything. I use smelts on a bigger jighead suspended 1-2 inches from the bottom. I occasionally smash the jig against the bottom to stir up dirt, but everytime I got one, the bait was completely still. I want to try some catfish dough one day, I hear that stuff smells pretty bad.

Go and buy a package of liver throw it on the dash of your truck for the day.
Burbs don't feed much different then a channelcat stink bait will attract them.