PDA

View Full Version : measure of success

leo
11-30-2011, 06:11 AM
How do you measure the success of your hunting season? Many years ago it meant filling all my tags, then it was determend by the size of antlers on the animals taken. This year was a whole new experience to relive. I had the pleasure of having my wife along on all my trips and son along on 3 of the 4. My son managed to get a nice whitetail buck within 10 minutes of his hunt, Congratulations son. The next afternoon, my nephew came to where we were and wanted to go hunting, It was his first hunting season ever. I set up a target, drew a circle about 10" around the bull and said "put a bullet in that circle and I'll take you hunting". He just nudged it in, so a hunting we went. I lined him up on a fat spike buck at 75 yards and he put the 270 bullet through the lungs. The smile on that young lads face will make my memories of the season just a bit more special, congratulations Dawson. Oh ya, I also took my first buck in 4 years, I decided I was being too picky. That and 2 dry does, family to share the experience with. Pretty darn successful if you ask me.:)

matathonman
11-30-2011, 06:40 AM
Just getting out is success in my books. A big buck is a bonus. Sounds like you and your family had a great time together. I know I sure enjoy it when myself and mine can all hunt together but it didn't pan out this year. Next year it will though. Congrats on your critters.

joaks
11-30-2011, 07:33 AM
I like to get a big buck as much as the next guy but the last 4 or 5 yrs. ive taken some niced most polite kids ive ever ment they gave me a new outlook for that I thank them.
If your starting to lose the exitement take a kid youll find it in hurry!

kayaker
11-30-2011, 08:34 AM
Filling tags is of course nice, but the anticipation, preparation and finally participation and learning are always rewarding!

My thoughts (I write these down not to gloat but for friends/family and antis I meet) http://orionmind.blogspot.com/2011/06/on-measuring-success.html

archer8
11-30-2011, 10:22 AM
I always set my bar high at the beginning -- near the end it seems to drop -- always hunted hard for the game of choice in a particular zone or area --I had a chance of a small mulie buck and decided to tag him near the end of the season in 412 -- My son came back from Vermillion firefighting school and after being out with me 3 years and not getting a deer we decided we best do what we could -- got his mule deer tag on Friday night and took him out -- 15 minutes of legal lite Saturday -- a spike @ 55yds -- head shot to boot -- they say a picture is worth a million $$$ -- well you get the picture -- happy as a 6 year old at Xmas --lots of pics and stories for "Mom"

monday a shot at a whitetail doe and another deer -- he loves it as do I

Success :sHa_shakeshout:

A hunter is born -- ethical and proud

Cheers

ian

HunterDave
11-30-2011, 10:41 AM
If I get out hunting and I put a bit of meat in the freezer I figure the hunt was a success. I say that because I know that I'd be disappointed if I didn't get anything. Maybe when I'm older I'll consider just being able to still get out hunting a success. :)

Ryry4
11-30-2011, 11:01 AM
Getting out and enjoying every minute of it. To me that's what it's all about. Filling tags is a bonus.

HoytAlpha35
11-30-2011, 03:58 PM
I am a goal person so I have a idea what I want to accomplish and work my tail of to achieve it, but at the same I am quite content with just being out in the wild. I find without a goal I am not working towards anything; eg. this year the plan was to go bow only, then I am not as motivated and don't get out enough or enough effort. I usually hunt alone so its also my get away time.

I think measure of success is accomplishing your purpose for hunting. So once you decide why you hunt and how you hunt you'll be able to measure your success.

elkhunter11
11-30-2011, 04:55 PM
My biggest reason to hunt, is getting out in nature. Fresh air and great scenery is a nice change from the daily grind. These days, I get much of my enjoyment from helping newer hunters to take their animals. Then again, an elk or bighorn steak, or a roasted pheasant is added incentive.

trigger7mm
11-30-2011, 06:16 PM
The older I get the more I just love to be out in nature and seeing the sights. Killing an animal isn't nearly as important to me as it once was. Most special of all is hunting with my daughter and helping her get a deer. (she's pretty picky though). I like the meat but won't starve without it. Just being in the bush and seeing the little things that are going on is the best.

Lone_Wolf
11-30-2011, 06:33 PM
Success is filling a tag. Since I didn't fill one this fall I'm calling my season a total failure. :(

sheephunter
11-30-2011, 06:41 PM
A few tags for the Christmas tree
A few heads for the wall
Some great meat in the freezer
Some memorable experiences
Some well-placed shots
Some new friends
Some new cultures
Some time in the wilderness
Some time alone
Some time with great hunting partners
Some dreams for next year
Some animals passed
Some personal challenges met
Some dreams realized
Learned from some mistakes
Put new found knowledge to the test

Ya, this season was a resounding success.

outdoors forever
11-30-2011, 06:46 PM
A few tags for the Christmas tree
A few heads for the wall
Some great meat in the freezer
Some memorable experiences
Some well-placed shots
Some new friends
Some new cultures
Some time in the wilderness
Some time alone
Some time with great hunting partners
Some dreams for next year
Some animals passed
Some personal challenges met
Some dreams realized
Learned from some mistakes
Put new found knowledge to the test

Ya, this season was a resounding success.

X100, TJ!

I find such great satisfaction seeing my wife filling tags and bringing the kids along on hunts. A wall hanger is always awesome, just didn't happen this year.

nicholal
12-01-2011, 11:31 AM
Suscess is being healthly enough to go out and enjoy a day in the woods either with friends family or alone. To many of us in the past have measured it by the big bucks or amout of the harvest. But until you face losing all chance of doing what you love.
Then you realize what is really important. Take a minute and ask WHAT IF?

I think your veiw on success will change
Not preachn just talkn from experince

AL

pottymouth
12-01-2011, 11:44 AM
Well for me it was mostly a successful season, got to watch my best friend take a nooner moose, a ram, and a nice archery muley. I got to spend time with my dad, and watch him take a nice muley. I also got to take my uncle on his first ever big game hunt, where he got a nice buck too.

Hunting with friends and family is what's it's all about. Putting some big inches on the ground makes the good times more special.

I myself, had an epic failure on the last day. Spent last 2 days chasing a monster muley. All to have everything come together only to blow the shot, over the 190 ++ inch typical's back.

Had a great year in all, I learned a lot.

catnthehat
12-01-2011, 11:47 AM
If Ii can even get out, it's a success for me.
Cat

BigRackLover
12-01-2011, 12:02 PM
If Ii can even get out, it's a success for me.
Cat

me too - as soon as I gear up and sit in my tree ... I'm successful.

flinging an arrow just ads to the experience.

sjemac
12-01-2011, 12:20 PM
Got to hunt with my son for the first time. Saw him shoot his first birds and an elk (which he won't claim as his first big game kill since he didn't trail and find it after shooting it -- he thinks I tracked it and shot it while he was trick or treating -- the Santa lies come back to haunt you) and set him up on several deer that just didn't work out for him (wouldn't stop, skylined, jumped the fence onto taboo property/road, couldn't see over a hummock of ground that I could see over, etc.).

Wounded a moose that I then had to really use my head about tracking down and was able to make enough right decisions to collect the cow.

Went out with 6 friends for a barn burner duck shoot that took in 55 birds.

Freezer is full -- and for me that is always a big measure of success.