PDA

View Full Version : Cougar calling/huntng

saddleup
11-30-2011, 12:57 PM
Since today is the last day to hunt cougar (without dogs) the big question is....Did anyone or does anyone know of anyones sucess in a cougar hunt this Nov.?

I did spend a few dedicated days in 102 trying, but to no avail. and got snowed out today, lol :sign0176:

jrs
11-30-2011, 01:32 PM
Yup, know of at least one taken in southern Alberta last week.

kronk
11-30-2011, 03:04 PM
F&W had the one poking around my yard elude them:(

bucktaker
11-30-2011, 03:51 PM
know of one that got take down.

Dark Wing
11-30-2011, 06:19 PM
I shot one yesterday............ with my camera. I wish we had a non hound Nov. season in the upper 400 wmu's.

This guy was chasing a button buck 60 yrds from my stand
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/Di1/K9Standcougar001.jpg

CNP
12-03-2011, 01:50 PM
How to have the rifle and camera ready at the same time! Nice pic. I'll be home in three days.

winger7mm
12-03-2011, 03:15 PM
Well I have long wanted to hunt these cats, for the fur, the fact that they ARE the top predator in the forest IMO the most dangerous big game in north america. I know that the porkies have an ok population?? there cats sneaky suckers Its hard to tell. But I want to go after one this winter, to get my first, and to help protect the turkey population (going for my draw dunno how long it takes but ill be getting a wild turkey) anyhow, do you NEED dogs to find one?? How would a guy like me go about persuing these large cats? I know that as of now its a hope to come across one while targeting something else, but how would I target for them?? Thanks for the tips or info, both will be appreciated haha

Ryry4
12-03-2011, 03:21 PM
Well I have long wanted to hunt these cats, for the fur, the fact that they ARE the top predator in the forest IMO the most dangerous big game in north america. I know that the porkies have an ok population?? there cats sneaky suckers Its hard to tell. But I want to go after one this winter, to get my first, and to help protect the turkey population (going for my draw dunno how long it takes but ill be getting a wild turkey) anyhow, do you NEED dogs to find one?? How would a guy like me go about persuing these large cats? I know that as of now its a hope to come across one while targeting something else, but how would I target for them?? Thanks for the tips or info, both will be appreciated haha

The odds of seeing one without the assistance of hounds is slim. It's possible but rare. If you want to hunt cats your best bet is to find an outfitter or be-friend someone with hounds and have them take out out. There are plenty of outfitters in Alberta and B.C. that can get you on a cat.

duffy4
12-03-2011, 04:12 PM
Since today is the last day to hunt cougar (without dogs) the big question is....Did anyone or does anyone know of anyones sucess in a cougar hunt this Nov.?

I did spend a few dedicated days in 102 trying, but to no avail. and got snowed out today, lol :sign0176:

I think you have written that wrong.

Any time there is a cougar season you can hunt them without dogs. If there is a cougar in the area hunting by calling him should work. I would do so with a partner so all directions can be watched.

Dark Wing
12-03-2011, 10:18 PM
I shot one yesterday............ with my camera. I wish we had a non hound Nov. season in the upper 400 wmu's.

This guy was chasing a button buck 60 yrds from my stand
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/Di1/K9Standcougar001.jpg

Rumor has it this guy fell out of tree with a bad case of lead poisoning today.

Dark Wing
12-03-2011, 10:21 PM
How to have the rifle and camera ready at the same time! Nice pic. I'll be home in three days.

Thanks Randy, welcome home.

bullwinkle
12-04-2011, 06:18 PM
Yup,lead poisoning for sure!I'll post pictures and story soon!