PDA

View Full Version : Marcum or Aqua-Vu?

Ace
12-01-2011, 10:30 AM
I’m pretty sure I’m going to get an underwater camera this season. I’m thinking about either the Marcum VS380 ($279) or the Aqua-Vu 710 ($399).

According to the Marcum website, the VS380 comes with a motorized tripod (10' cord)as part of the price and the Aqua-Vu (wireless) you have to buy the tripod separately.

Also, the Marcum is a CRT and the Aqua Vu is a LCD screen.

I might buy the Aqua-Vu DVR in the future as I don’t think Marcum has one. Not 100% sure on this purchase though.

I’m leaning towards the Aqua-Vu 710 as it seems to be a smaller/lighter package with the LCD and the ability to expand with the DVR. But, I like the fact the Marcum is a fair bit cheaper and comes with the motorized tripod.

Any tips/suggestions on what to buy?

See ya
Ace

Mudslide
12-01-2011, 06:19 PM
The Marcum camera is a proven winner and at that price with the camera panner included you can't go wrong. The aqua-vu looks good too, but you are going to NEED to buy a panner for it so the cost is considerably higher. The Marcum is not sunlight viewable but I'm not sure how "viewable" the Aqua-vu would be in reality anyway. Hard to beat Marcum's bang for the buck.

liar
12-01-2011, 06:58 PM
who has the marcum for that price ? i have a marcum flasher and its been great and i am thinking of getting a camera . for that price christmass may come early !

Mudslide
12-01-2011, 08:37 PM
who has the marcum for that price ? i have a marcum flasher and its been great and i am thinking of getting a camera . for that price christmass may come early !

Bass Pro for sure. The FH and WSS probably do as well.

780sjc
12-01-2011, 08:51 PM
Well I figured I'd chime in here a bit. I bought the VS380 last year and have had nothing but good things to say about it. Battery lasts 8hr's plus, going non-stop. Although it's black and white the clarity is phenomenal. It does surprisingly well in low light conditions as well. And the panner, oh my what a beautiful invention! Works amazing! I've also seen marcums vs825 color LCD unit and also their LX-5 flasher in action and it's just another testament to how well their products work. Safe to say im a fan of marcum.

Now for aqua vu's side of things, I know they have had problems in the past with camera heads leaking. And as far as compactability, ease of use and transportation they didn't touch what marcum had to offer. BUT, then this year rolled around and they've changed their whole line of product around. However I still do not like their carrying bag system, as well as access to the battery. Seems awfully inconvenient. But I'd imagine they have solved their past problems. Another thing you need to take into consideration is if you'll be useing the tv inside the tent or out in the sun, to decide if the LCD is really necessary.

As far as the mini DVR, it is compatible with the marcum unit. All that is required is a video out jack which the vs380 offers. Seems like a way better deal all around to stick with the marcum unless the LCD is a big factor for you.

Hope some of this helped. Good luck!

Mudslide
12-01-2011, 09:04 PM
"Safe to say im a fan of Marcum."

X2. Hello LX-7 :)

I also agree that Aqua-Vu has upped their game considerably this year. I'm gonna get one of their Mini cameras this weekend. They are an awesome little unit and so portable. They have also redesigned their cordless mopod this year. Marcum's works well, but it would be much better if it was wireless.

Willowtrail
12-01-2011, 09:35 PM
I love my VS 380.

I agree with everything 780sjc said about them.