PDA

View Full Version : Tips for baiting coyotes.

LacLaBicheNS
12-01-2011, 05:28 PM
I have made a coyote bait out of meat scrapes, any tips on how to use best would be great.

bait is a huge rubbermaid bin stuffed with meat scrapes and then filled with water and frozen. Thing probably weighs 150-200lbs. I froze a rope into it aswell to tie to weights or stake it down.

I have permission to bait on quite a bit of farm land full of coyotes.

My plan was to drop it off late at night. Sneek in a shoot off it until its gone.

Where would be best to leave it? On the edge of a feild, middle of a feild, cut line, near bush between fields???

How much weight can they drag off? I could tie another 100lbs of iron to it to make it near 300lbs. Do I need to do this?

What can I expect? I know it will get chewed on all night, but I am hoping to shoot a bunch off it.

First time baiting for them so any help would be great.

LacLaBicheNS
12-01-2011, 05:29 PM
Oh and if I shoot one on the bait, should I go get him and take him away from it or leave it there? Will a dead one on bait keep others off?

There is wolves around too. DO I bait differnetly for them? I was wanting to try for wolves too. MY plan for that was to leave it in a area at night with lots of tracks and sneak in and shoot. Good? I know wolves might not come to it because my scent will be on it.

bchap22
12-01-2011, 06:57 PM
Put your bait on a cutline that way they will feel a little more safe coming into it versus putting it on an open spot. It shouldn't matter if you go get the dead ones but usually after you shoot they will leave for a while so you can if you want.

trigger7mm
12-01-2011, 07:11 PM
I too have baitsicles ready to go. We put them out when the temp drops into the tank. I like putting them out in a spot where they feel safe, but you can sneak into on foot and take a peek from about 125-150 yards. Make sure the wind is right, slip in very quietly and slip out again if no ones home. When you shoot a yote, take it away from the bait. You don't need to anchor your bait in any way. They aren't going to move it for quite a while if it remains frozen solid. They'll be gnawing on it for a long time to lighten it up to the point to where they can pack it out of the area. If you sneak in during the day, (this works best when it's very cold and calm), watch the magpies that will be there. If they are sitting around in the trees and making racket, it's cause a yote is on the bait. Good luck. Be sure to put your bait in a spot where there is no vehicle traffic, like anything else, coyotes are most comfortable when they feel safe. I use meat scraps and guts in a plastic garbage can then filled with water and frozen. Got 8 ready to go. Waiting for the mutts to settle down after hunting season, and for the temp to bottom out. Then look out yotes.

trapshooter
12-01-2011, 08:16 PM
I have my bait ready, I have about 5 bins full so I can put bait at five differant spots! I just have cardboard boxes lined with a garbage bag, put the meat scrapes in there then every night pour half an ice cream bucket of water until it is one big frozen lump. Then when you drag the bait out there you can juist use an exacto knife to cut off the box and throw it away leaving the bait there.

trigger7mm
12-01-2011, 08:33 PM
I have my bait ready, I have about 5 bins full so I can put bait at five differant spots! I just have cardboard boxes lined with a garbage bag, put the meat scrapes in there then every night pour half an ice cream bucket of water until it is one big frozen lump. Then when you drag the bait out there you can juist use an exacto knife to cut off the box and throw it away leaving the bait there.

Good idea with the cardboard boxes.

super7mag
12-01-2011, 08:40 PM
I like to take a jug of warm water, and freeze the meatsicle down on the side of a slough. gets them out in the open.

HunterDave
12-01-2011, 08:43 PM
I've got about 10 packages of freezer burnt burger to feed the yotes. I'm thinking small scale though and I'm going to freeze them in a bucket a layer at a time as soon as the weather turns cold again. It might not be enough but I'll give it a burst.

buck-8835
12-01-2011, 08:48 PM
Hit your local butcher shop! they will give ya all the scraps you will need!!

HunterDave
12-01-2011, 09:10 PM
Hit your local butcher shop! they will give ya all the scraps you will need!!

Great idea.....thanks!

singleshotom
12-01-2011, 09:19 PM
Horses an lamas are fairly cheap at sales.
sst

LacLaBicheNS
12-01-2011, 09:26 PM
Horses an lamas are fairly cheap at sales.
sst

lol

thanks for all the tips..

I am going to try this weekend. I know its not cold enough, but I can't wait. I need to get out this weekend and do something..

When you guys drag your bait in, can I drive it in with a quad or truck? Or do I have to drag that big heavy chunk of meat ice in by hand?? I have a feeling I made mine too big. No word of a lie I am guessing its 300 pounds..

Would a good spot be in the far end of a field with a cut line going into and a cut line leaving the feild all within 200 yards? I can stick it in one of these cut lines, but wouldn't dropping it along the tree line between both lines be better?

At this farm I see coyotes in the middle of fields all summer long. They aren't very scared of tractors, quads etc..

LacLaBicheNS
12-01-2011, 09:28 PM
I was wondering if you left your name and number with local F and W if they would call you to pick up road kill for bait? I'd imagine a big deer or moose would be great bait.

densa44
12-01-2011, 10:20 PM
These guys aren't hard to "decoy/bait" place it so that it is in sight and in range, close enough that you won't miss and far enough away that they won't see you.

Take away the ones you shoot and it will keep working until they can take it away.

I've nailed a dead rabbit to the ground and held it with wire and it was gone by morning

Jiffy10
12-02-2011, 07:46 AM
We used to hang road kill in a tree. All the scavengers would
send out the signal for the coyote's in the area. The magpies
crows and ravens along with the smell will be the best advertising
you can get.

The coyote will be pace under the tree ( or try to climb it )
for quite awhile.
Eventually they leave and ...... come back again .... and again
and again. The nature of the beast wont let them give up.

dj_pigs
12-05-2011, 06:46 AM
Have any of you guys ever tried mixing in a little suger?

eric2381
12-05-2011, 08:00 AM
Has anybody used the skinned out coyote carcasses to bait in more yotes?

LacLaBicheNS
12-05-2011, 12:04 PM
Have any of you guys ever tried mixing in a little suger?

Curious, what would sugar do?

So I attemped to bait this weekend. I learned a few things.

1- bait isn't like a gut pile or fresh dead animal. They don't come to bait right away because they don't know its there like a gut pile or fresh dead. I am guessing meatcicle bait takes a few days for them to find it.

2- next bait I make I am going to get some deer or rabbit fur to freeze into the outside edge of the bait to make it look like a dead animal.

3- I am guessing to get lots of coytoes of bait you need to maintain the bait site to keep them regularly comming in.

GOPHERSPLAT
12-05-2011, 12:24 PM
I think you may have answered it yourself,a chunk of frozen bait isnt going to give off much smell like a gut pile,im sure they'll find it eventually and keep returning,it just has less attraction initially,dont think putting fur on it will make much difference but hey give it a go,maybe leave a few bits of fur hanging off the sides to flap around in the wind.good luck,let us know how it works out.

Bushmaster
12-05-2011, 12:48 PM
Magpies, ravens, etc. will find it in ten minutes and the coyotes will be 5 minutes behind.

ShawnM
12-05-2011, 01:08 PM
Magpies, ravens, etc. will find it in ten minutes and the coyotes will be 5 minutes behind.

x2

Austin
12-05-2011, 01:12 PM
open a can of tuna fish and spread oil / fish water all over your meatscicle. stinky stuff gets attention quicker

dj_pigs
12-05-2011, 02:06 PM
They go crazy for sweets.

LacLaBicheNS
12-05-2011, 05:24 PM

I thought so too, but wasn't the case for me. I had one bait that had birds on it all afternoon, but not a single coyote or track of one.

I'lll try some sugar next time.

Lefty-Canuck
12-05-2011, 05:31 PM
open a can of tuna fish and spread oil / fish water all over your meatscicle. stinky stuff gets attention quicker

A fishy smelling meatscicle sounds like troule to me....:sHa_sarcasticlol:

LC

greylynx
12-05-2011, 06:12 PM
A fishy smelling meatscicle sounds like troule to me....:sHa_sarcasticlol:

LC

To paraphrase your dad:

The more digusting it is to you the more tastey it is for them.

He used to joke how the coyotes would follow him home after a days work feeding the big cats on Oeming's farm.

Lefty-Canuck
12-05-2011, 06:14 PM
He used to joke how the coyotes would follow him home after a days work feeding the big cats on Oeming's farm.

I love the stories he had about working out there.....I just wish I could remember half of them!

LC