PDA

View Full Version : boat advice

bearhunter338-06
12-01-2011, 05:32 PM
Hey guys I'm looking into maybe getting a boat this spring, and have a couple ideas as to what I want but would like some advice/input from you.

I thinking about a 14 - 16 foot aluminum with a 30 - 40 horse outboard with a jet on it. The boat will mainly be used on lakes for fishing, I have an electric motor as well as a 9.9 for trolling. I may use the boat also for some river hunting for moose maybe elk (not into running rapids).

I have been looking at these 2 boats:

http://legendboats.com/en/view/boat/2011_16_prosport

http://legendboats.com/en/view/boat/2011_14_prosport

The boat will spend 95% of its time fishing Big and small lakes. I don't want to go bigger or smaller as I will be hauling the boat on a boat rake the odd time or 2.

What thoughts do you have.

Jiffy10
12-02-2011, 08:44 PM
I own a Legend 151 Angler which is the kicked up version of the prosport
series. I think its great. But basically the same boat

it was significantly cheaper than the other brands out there .

They claim they have the thickest hull but really ... all the manufactures
claim to be better at one thing and then another .. and another etc.

Bottom line is that you'll never be real disapointed in any of the
brands unless your a tournament fisherman on the tour and spending
5 days a week on the water.

I have a 40 merc 4stk and it lots for the boat. The 40 is small enough
that I can troll with it. All day for about $5 worth of gas.

I use the Motorguide bow mount also and it does the job well.

If you want to talk more about it,, pm me...

WayneChristie
12-02-2011, 10:15 PM
if you are mainly fishing lakes, you will probably want a prop. if you are going to be fishing the rivers, go with the jet leg.

hockey1099
12-02-2011, 10:56 PM
The 16 footer maybe a tad heavy to be taking on and off of a boat rack.

But i would always advise to buy the biggest boat you can afford the extra space is worth it.

Kim473
12-03-2011, 07:18 AM
The 16 footer maybe a tad heavy to be taking on and off of a boat rack.

But i would always advise to buy the biggest boat you can afford the extra space is worth it.

X2
16ft with 25hp min. You will like it just for the reason for rough water and big lakes. Was at Calling with a 16ft and very glad we had a 25hp as we would have gotten very wet with the waves coming over the transom with a smaller
motor.

GeoTrekr
12-03-2011, 09:25 AM
X2
16ft with 25hp min. You will like it just for the reason for rough water and big lakes. Was at Calling with a 16ft and very glad we had a 25hp as we would have gotten very wet with the waves coming over the transom with a smaller
motor.

X2.

We had a 14 ft aluminium rental with a 9.9 on Upper and Lower Kananaskis on the Canada Day long weekend. With 4 people on board (full disclosure: the label said it was rated for 3), we 'enjoyed' a white knuckle ride along the north shore when the wind picked up :scared:.

If the larger lakes are the object, I would not go smaller than a 16 ft aluminium again, as I don't need that kind of 'excitement' when fishing...