PDA

View Full Version : Ice Fishing Rig Question

carterM
12-01-2011, 11:57 PM
I'm hoping you guys can answer a couple of questions for me. I'm looking at heading out to Pigeon to try for some of the whites that are in there as soon as we get a bit more ice. I've never been to Pigeon before and don't know anything about the lake. Are there any popular access points on the lake? I'm looking for something along the lines of Brownlows at Gull. Just something to give me some idea as to where to start looking.

Second, I've been wondering why I've never seen anyone using 2 lures on the same line in the winter? Something along the lines of the hopper-dropper setup that's so common while fly fishing in the summer (obviously with 2 weth flies...). I figure it's either 1) illegal (although I can't find anything in the regs that would suggest that) or 2) impractical. I've done most of my fishing using a spool of line and my hands to bring up whites in Gull. I could see getting the top hook lodged pretty solidly in your hands doing this...

Lastly, is the whole "spool of line and your hands" method going to work for the bigger whites in Pigeon? I don't think I've caught much for whitefish over 2 lbs out of Gull. I can see having a reel with a drag being a huge benefit when fighting some of those hogs in there.

Tyangelo
12-02-2011, 12:13 AM
PM'd

Dan Foss
12-02-2011, 01:08 AM
perfectly legal. I do it all the time through the ice. It ultimately depends on what your fishin for ect. trout, perch, whites I will usually do it unless for some reason it seems to be turning them off. usually a scud or fly or a little plastic shrimp a foot or so above my heavier hook like a macho minnow or something along those lines.

Kim473
12-02-2011, 05:10 AM
I'm hoping you guys can answer a couple of questions for me. I'm looking at heading out to Pigeon to try for some of the whites that are in there as soon as we get a bit more ice. I've never been to Pigeon before and don't know anything about the lake. Are there any popular access points on the lake? I'm looking for something along the lines of Brownlows at Gull. Just something to give me some idea as to where to start looking.

Second, I've been wondering why I've never seen anyone using 2 lures on the same line in the winter? Something along the lines of the hopper-dropper setup that's so common while fly fishing in the summer (obviously with 2 weth flies...). I figure it's either 1) illegal (although I can't find anything in the regs that would suggest that) or 2) impractical. I've done most of my fishing using a spool of line and my hands to bring up whites in Gull. I could see getting the top hook lodged pretty solidly in your hands doing this...

Lastly, is the whole "spool of line and your hands" method going to work for the bigger whites in Pigeon? I don't think I've caught much for whitefish over 2 lbs out of Gull. I can see having a reel with a drag being a huge benefit when fighting some of those hogs in there.

You can try Mulhurst bay. easy acess. I think a real is a must as they have soft mouths and you can horse the hook right out easy. Just what I have heard as I have never caught one yet. Not even hooked one LOL. I got no luck at all for them. Must be the technique. This year tho im gonna get one, as I studied U-tube! LOL.

Jiffy10
12-02-2011, 07:55 AM
My favorite way to ice fish is with a spool of line,

give yourself a foot or two xtr line and tuck the spool
it into your boot. That works the best.

I rarely use a rod. however...

I've been scatchin to get my gloves on when Mr. Pike comes
along and takes a run with your hook. Never really cut my
hands with the line but sure did leave some marks.

anyways.... thats a good kind of problem to have when it
comes to ice fishing.

see you on the ice....

Hunter Trav
12-02-2011, 01:29 PM
Ice rods are cheep, $20 will get you into one that will be just fine for whites. Spool it up with quality line and your good to go...

Jiffy10
12-02-2011, 02:26 PM
Yup ....

thank goodness for cheap rod and reel combo's

I've lost two in the last two years the same way...

not setting them up proper in the Holder over the hole..

on both occasions... I hear the bell going off from inside the
hut and then a splash...

Kinda funny when its only a cheap rod and reel combo..

I get some of my best laughs from things I do !!!!

*** just call me Gilligan... ***

see you on the ice.........

carterM
12-03-2011, 12:13 PM
Thanks alot guys. I'm glad to hear that the 2 lures per line method isn't illegal. Seems like it should increase your catch rate pretty well. Unless of course something spooks the bastards, as was mentioned.

I think I'll be picking up an ice rod. I do remember quite well what my dad's hands looked like after bringing up an 8 lbs pike on 4 lb test line with his hands... Can you fit any sized spinning reel on them or is the mount different than an open water spinning rod?

Dan Foss
12-03-2011, 12:47 PM
it really depends on what type of ice rod you get. Most dont really have "mounts" some come with little plastic seats that your reel sits in but usually they really dont do much. Best advice I can give you is tape your reels on tightly with electrical tape. It holds amazingly well(all season without moving at all). Some ice rods do have seats and usually most reel sizes fit in them. I put my summer reels (size 20/30s)on my my heavier pike fishing rods but I usually put smaller size 10s on my perch/trout/whitefish ice rods.

you can use pretty much any size reel on an ice rod but I just find that some of the bigger reels on my lightweight ice rods are just overkill

Bigtoad
12-03-2011, 07:01 PM
I have to ice fishing rods rigged up with two hooks each. Hooks are usually 1-2 ft apart depending on the water depth. Heavier hook on the bottom. While I am using one of them, I will be switching hooks on the other so I always have something down the hole. Often it is when it's just sitting there that they come in and bite.

I take out an extra 2ft or so of line and put the rod on the floor with the drag set fairly loose. I use my hands to hold the line, that way I can really finesse the hook and spin it the direction I want it to face. If a big white or jack or whatever gets on, then I pick up the rod, let out the slack, and then play it on the rod. Works sweet.

And there are some hog whites in Gull too.

Cheers.