PDA

View Full Version : How Many Folks Split the Pelvis and Brisket?

coolpool
12-02-2011, 09:19 AM
I personally carry a small saw and split the pelvis when gutting in the field. I do not split the brisket until I get home and start skinning. I have seen many deer that haven't had the pelvis split but appear to have decent clean outs. I've also seen the opposite. Let's see who does and who doesn't, and offer any insight into this.

Jamie Black R/T
12-02-2011, 09:32 AM
i split the pelvis when gutting and split the brisket at home after skinning on deer...ill split the brisket on elk and moose in the field as the boiler room on big boys is a little harder to reach.

ive hunted with plenty of guys who dont split the pelvis at all...it works just fine too....ive always done it one way cause thats how i was taught...no other reason really.

pseelk
12-02-2011, 09:40 AM
I spilt both in the field,Just seems easier to get a good cleanout front to back.IMO

sheephunter
12-02-2011, 09:42 AM
Neither.

redranger15
12-02-2011, 09:53 AM
When I split the pelvis I make two cuts, one on each side of centre. Cut out about an inch and a half of the bone. Gives me lots of room and no cuts on my hands or poop shoot.

Frans
12-02-2011, 09:53 AM
Very often I quarter in the field, and carry it out on my back. A lot easier for a guy alone, than dragging a whole carcass. I prefer to go "gutless", so splitting of anything is not a part of the procedure.

colt45
12-02-2011, 10:00 AM
neither, on deer, moose sometimes split the brisket

Alberta Bigbore
12-02-2011, 11:28 AM
I don't split the brisket or pelvis on deer..... But split the brisket on moose/elk.

I use the Butt-Out tool on deer... Works very very very well

mulecrazy
12-02-2011, 12:14 PM
I used the butt out this year. Didn't work too bad, but still split the pelvis to ensure it was good and clean. As far as splitting the brisquit is concerned, sometimes I do, sometimes not. If I am keeping the cape for a shoulder mount I dont cut is as that would wreck the cape. If I am by myself gutting then I usually dont do it, but otherwise I do.

Honestly, on deer I am not sure there is much reason to split the brisquit. Cut out the windpipe when you skin it and you should be fine. They are small enought that they will cool fast enough even without the added air flow of an open brisquit.

chuck0039
12-02-2011, 12:40 PM
Most of the time I split both, makes it easier to clean out. The only time I leave both in tack when I feild dress is if I have to drag the animal for any distance, I find the less you open up when dragging the cleaner things stay. Most of the time i'm able to get the quad up to my animals so splitting the brisket and pelvis bones makes it easier to clean out and roll them into the sled I tow behind the quad.

Stinky Coyote
12-02-2011, 12:47 PM
when the guy that got me back into big game hunting (and bowhunting at the same time) showed me how he does it i was amazed, took no time and had barel any blood on his hands...barely, only time i don't split both is when i have to cape a trophy out for a mount, everything else gets cut from chin to exit hole, saw both brisket and pelvic bone, grab wind pipe, hole in it to put finger through, pull the whole works out in one go like gutting a fish and barely any blood on your hands...only takes a couple minutes these days

on the mountain it would be gutless method deboning

HunterDave
12-02-2011, 12:48 PM
On deer, I split the brisket once it's hanging, take out the windpipe, clean out the body cavity from the hip cavity to the neck. Then I prop the ribs open.....a hammer is the right size....lol!

What's the advantage to splitting the pelvis? Doesn't this cause more meat to be exposed to dry out?

Hunter Trav
12-02-2011, 01:09 PM
No need for a saw to cut the brisket, just cut the ribs beside it with your knife. Takes 2 seconds to get it done. Pelvis can be done with a knife as well, just don't drive it in too far...

Justin.C
12-02-2011, 01:25 PM
I really don't understand why you do either on anything other than on a moose or elk. Then they are going to be quartered anyway. So you have to. So why?

HunterDave
12-02-2011, 01:29 PM
I really don't understand why you do either on anything other than on a moose or elk. Then they are going to be quartered anyway. So you have to. So why?

I do it to make it easier to clean out and to get the air circulating better.

192 whitey
12-02-2011, 01:52 PM
Neither.

x2 my butt out is a filleting knife

Big Daddy Badger
12-02-2011, 03:56 PM
Usually.

It only takes a minute longer.

I usually remove the lower legs and cut the socks off to.

Just makes the whole process less of a bother when I get home.

HunterDave
12-02-2011, 04:09 PM
Seriously, why do so many people split the pelvis and what is the advantage/purpose of doing it? :confused:

jungleboy
12-02-2011, 04:11 PM
I don't split the brisket or pelvis on deer..... But split the brisket on moose/elk.

I use this tool too but am not sure if I am doing something wrong or what as I always seem to end up with the bladder left inside after all is done. My buddy always cuts all the way around the anal cavity and it works fine but that kind of make the butt out tool pointless in my mind. How do you do it?

Lefty-Canuck
12-02-2011, 04:13 PM
Seriously, why do so many people split the pelvis and what is the advantage/purpose of doing it? :confused:

X2.....never split either pelvis or brisket in the field. Of course we do it when quartering and elk or moose but it is hanging at that point. We never split anything on a deer.

LC

mulecrazy
12-02-2011, 04:17 PM

I find it makes it much easier to keep that area clean. Once in a while a piece of poo or whatever will hang up in there. Since it is so close to the meat and I am very picky when it comes to how my deer is handled, I choose to open that up and get it right clean. Both mulie bucks I gutted this year were right full of fat in there and it seems like a great place for bacteria to start. To each his own though. We all have our quirks when it comes to meat handling and as long as the individual is happy with the end product then have at er.

Scotty P.
12-02-2011, 04:18 PM

Even though I do it I'm not sure what the advantage is. I guess I've just found cutting out the O ring a little more of a pain but to be honest I've only ever tried it twice.

Hunter Trav
12-02-2011, 04:31 PM

It was just how I was taught to do things, mind you my family was more into moose hunting than anything...

HunterDave
12-02-2011, 04:42 PM
We all have our quirks when it comes to meat handling and as long as the individual is happy with the end product then have at er.

I wouldn't fault anyone for splitting the pelvis I was just wondering why you'd do it on a deer. I just cut everything out of there and then stuff a rag through the back when it's hanging to clean it out.

sheephunter
12-02-2011, 04:51 PM
x2 my butt out is a filleting knife

LOL...yup, that's pretty much what I do too....core and pull....lol

nanuk-O-dah-Nort
12-02-2011, 04:53 PM
depends how I feel at the time

or what I need to accomplish.

I never saw. Bone dust causes taint very quickly.

I only use a knife, or an ax/hatchet on bigger game

but if I have time, I don't bother

Jamez74
12-02-2011, 04:56 PM
Neither

Wisebuck
12-02-2011, 06:43 PM
Leave both intact till home then cut ribs off one side of brisket after skinning. Dragging a deer with both intact stops alot of crud from getting in carcass and no real need to split pelvic, even on moose cause I dislocate the femur and hang the lower quarters separate from pelvic bone to speed up cooling.
Clean and cool is the name of the game.

deadeye
12-02-2011, 06:56 PM
I use the Butt-Out tool on deer... Works very very very well[/QUOTE]

x2

HunterDave
12-02-2011, 07:01 PM

Me too........insert finger, pinch skin with thumb and cut. Viola, butt out! :)

Alberta Bigbore
12-02-2011, 08:26 PM
I use this tool too but am not sure if I am doing something wrong or what as I always seem to end up with the bladder left inside after all is done. My buddy always cuts all the way around the anal cavity and it works fine but that kind of make the butt out tool pointless in my mind. How do you do it?

insert.......turn until you feel it tighten up...... and then i give it a full turn and a half.. and pull..............really slow...slow.. like slow the fooook down boy... and cut after a good foot and a half is out.

Stinky Coyote
12-02-2011, 08:32 PM

just how it was shown to me and i thought it slick, there is no wind pipe left, having everything open means in one tug with left hand with a couple nicks on the diaphram on the way out with right hand and it all goes in one rip, only thing left from the in-hole to the out-hole is the tongue and my hands have zip all on them when its done, guts are 3' feet away...would have to see other methods as mine certainly may not be the best but its quick, easy enough, and i find it efficient, i'm not talented enough to hack the rear legs(without a saw) leaving the tendon in tact to hold the tag but the fronts are a snap and i know where those joints are to zip through quick/easy with knife but i'm not sawing extra by hand on the rears....i leave that for the sawzall when i get home

209x50
12-02-2011, 09:06 PM
never split anything.

slough shark
12-03-2011, 01:33 AM
I split both unless I am getting it mounted and then I leave the brisket in tact, it is easy to do, takes about 3-4 minutes to gut a deer, I have to split the pelvic anyways when I process it at home as I work on 1 hindquarter at a time so why would you not?

New Hunter Okotoks
12-03-2011, 01:57 AM
I find it makes it much easier to keep that area clean. Once in a while a piece of poo or whatever will hang up in there. Since it is so close to the meat and I am very picky when it comes to how my deer is handled, I choose to open that up and get it right clean. To each his own though. We all have our quirks when it comes to meat handling and as long as the individual is happy with the end product then have at er.

X2. When I brought my deer in this morning to the processor,he looked it over and said "Wow, I wish all deer came in like this!" I spent about 2 hours the night before getting every hair off the hanging animal. I figure if the processor knows that I took the time to do the best job possible,he might too.

Dark Wing
12-03-2011, 08:00 AM
I'm part of the neither crowd. I find by not splitting the pelvis or brisket I can keep my meet a little bit cleaner when I'm dragging it out.

bear-scat
12-03-2011, 09:58 AM
Core and pull through,easier than most think, no need for splitting, looks clean and neat...we all have our techniques, and all good as long as we aren't wasteful and thats sounds like eveyones goal here is for clean untainted meat.