PDA

View Full Version : The SHED Hunting Thread

Lone_Wolf
12-02-2011, 11:03 AM
A little early? Yeah, no doubt, but if you're an antler addict like myself and did not kill a buck this fall you're probably recoiling and looking forward to the next best thing to the actual buck---his sheds!

Any special techniques you use to get sheds? I'm going to try using round bales or round bale cores. I'm also going to build a little jail cell type box, with boards spaced far enough apart a deer can fit it's head in and nibble the feed. Hopefully once the bucks are ready to drop their antlers they will knock them off while reaching in.

I've also heard of shed collecting boxes, upside down picnic tables, and hanging heavy chains. Any input on these shed collecting gadgets?

pottymouth
12-02-2011, 11:20 AM
I'll be looking for the sheds off the 190++ I missed on the last day. Tried shed collecting methods, but not with great success. My Preferred method still is to walk, and walk and walk some more. Plus you learn a lot more about their habits, and terrain, especially with snow down. I missed that buck, less than 80 yards from where I found his sheds...could be chance, might not be though, that's where I went to look for him!

Alberta Bigbore
12-02-2011, 11:25 AM
I'll be using my Lab....... she has a super sniffer.... And we have already been playing with sheds from last year... I'll place them out and take her for walks on trails and she has found every one each time. amazing

Lone_Wolf
12-02-2011, 11:31 AM
I'll be using my Lab....... she has a super sniffer.... And we have already been playing with sheds from last year... I'll place them out and take her for walks on trails and she has found every one each time. amazing

Cool. Wish my dogs had an interest in antlers. They only thing they like to track is cattle. :(

Springer
12-02-2011, 11:46 AM
A little early? Yeah, no doubt, but if you're an antler addict like myself and did not kill a buck this fall you're probably recoiling and looking forward to the next best thing to the actual buck---his sheds!

Any special techniques you use to get sheds? I'm going to try using round bales or round bale cores. I'm also going to build a little jail cell type box, with boards spaced far enough apart a deer can fit it's head in and nibble the feed. Hopefully once the bucks are ready to drop their antlers they will knock them off while reaching in.

I've also heard of shed collecting boxes, upside down picnic tables, and hanging heavy chains. Any input on these shed collecting gadgets?

Sighhhh , Yes I share your addiction for Shed Hunting as well. I am already looking forward to shed hunting myself.
Like Pottymouth i like to walk the trails and discover new terrain and the lay of the land. The unfortunate part is some of the land i shed hunt they dont allow hunting, Their appreciative of not getting them in their tractor tires though!!

nicholal
12-02-2011, 01:07 PM
Dec 20 is when i'll start lookn. The past 3 years I have found sheds that early. And always close to graineries. I am thinkn tha tis year will be no diffrent.

Al

RumRugby
12-02-2011, 01:38 PM
I've never actively looked for sheds before, however I did find one antler this year while hunting back in October that kinda peeked my interest.
Is there any particular time to start looking for them? There's a nice lookin muley buck I've seen in the same spot for three-four weeks that I wouldn't mind having his sheds. There's some other pretty impressive (imo) white tail bucks that I wouldn't complain if I got their sheds too :)

bear-scat
12-02-2011, 04:37 PM
CAN'T WAIT TIL THEY DROP, gotta 7 month old GSP named Tikka who got her first antler the day she come home at 8 weeks and has had a fasination with them since. Played the hide and find game with them and she has done well.
Recently with the wife having some min. pin. pups she had to stay in the garage, by the first morning she had over 20 sheds dug out of the pile and in her bed...kinda cute......
Wish the wife liked antlers as much as the dog....what a good dog

MK2750
12-02-2011, 05:00 PM
Was watching Canadian White-tail the other day and the guy was talking sheds. He said he never goes into core areas looking for sheds until spring for fear of stressing the deer. He feels the pressure could be the demise of a deer that is struggling through winter.

Makes sense to me but I have no first hand experience. I have noticed that a really bad December seems to be very hard on the bucks.

bear-scat
12-02-2011, 05:15 PM
Was watching Canadian White-tail the other day and the guy was talking sheds. He said he never goes into core areas looking for sheds until spring for fear of stressing the deer. He feels the pressure could be the demise of a deer that is struggling through winter.

Makes sense to me but I have no first hand experience. I have noticed that a really bad December seems to be very hard on the bucks.

Sounds realistic depending on extent of pressure, for me I get my time after the winter drlg. season usually in April. There are whitey's eating the hay for the wifes horses so the winter searches can be close to the yard by the kids then.I don't mind them eating the hay....like them better than the horses anyway...wish them horses could grow antlers

Bassett
12-02-2011, 05:22 PM
I have 2 bucks in particular im hoping to find the sheds of! Just hoping they made it through the season!

Don K
12-02-2011, 05:22 PM
I've always found sheds before Christmas. I think the first shed we found last year was Dec 14th. Saw a moose this morning with 1 antler dropped...

littlered
12-02-2011, 05:27 PM
I was looking two weeks ago! Might wait a day or two before I get out of the truck though.:bad_boys_20:

pottymouth
12-02-2011, 05:39 PM
some of biggest i've found between Xmas and just after new years !

gonefishin
12-02-2011, 06:13 PM
I can't wait either. I've picked up 6 or 7 during hunting season that I missed last year, but I will count those in this years collection. Unfortunately I don't think the numbers will be the same as they were last year.

Hoyt82
12-02-2011, 06:43 PM
Found this one a few weeks ago my 2 year daughter holding it. http://emob1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc466/Hoyt82/Snapbucket/ECBA031D-orig.jpg?t=1322876364

Elkaholic6
12-02-2011, 06:49 PM
Actually tried shed hunting last Spring, and I loved it! Definitely doing it this Spring again. Did pretty good too for my first "season".

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/229463_10150175947922134_604087133_7177025_221144_ n.jpg

Lone_Wolf
12-02-2011, 07:46 PM
Nice job Elkaholic. Looks like you did quite well, some matching sets too!

I have had no luck shed hunting. I have gone shed hunting lots and never came back with any, but have found some smaller ones (nothing bigger than 3 points) while out hunting and just walking into them randomly. Really hoping this is my year to make a horn haul!

Elkaholic6
12-02-2011, 07:52 PM
Nice job Elkaholic. Looks like you did quite well, some matching sets too!

I have had no luck shed hunting. I have gone shed hunting lots and never came back with any, but have found some smaller ones (nothing bigger than 3 points) while out hunting and just walking into them randomly. Really hoping this is my year to make a horn haul!

I use my quad to go trail to trail. Cover more ground that way. First one I found, I spotted off my quad.

boonedocks
12-02-2011, 11:18 PM
The earliest that I have found a fresh shed was december 28 ( matched set 2010). With todays trailcameras its alot easier to keep tabs on the bucks in your areas so that you know when to start looking.

BGSH
12-10-2011, 12:32 PM
Was very interested in going shed hunting around the trunk road, i have yet to find sheds in Alberta, but yet found so many on Vancouver island, i walk along deer trails, deer beds and yet to find a shed, what is the best luck to finding dropoffs here in Alberta, thank you.

BrownBear416
12-10-2011, 12:42 PM
I found a shed this fall while setting up a tcam. Its from an old bruiser bull moose that i think has been dead for 10 plus years. Most of the pan is gone but im pretty sure this was a 60 inch plus moose when it roamed the earth lol

Anybody ever see or kill a bull with 11 inch bases? :)

Lone_Wolf
12-10-2011, 12:56 PM
I found a shed this fall while setting up a tcam. Its from an old bruiser bull moose that i think has been dead for 10 plus years. Most of the pan is gone but im pretty sure this was a 60 inch plus moose when it roamed the earth lol

No pics no proof! :)

BrownBear416
12-10-2011, 12:59 PM
No pics no proof! :)

:)

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s27/BrownBear416/moose-1.jpg

BGSH
12-10-2011, 01:12 PM
Hey Brownbear, that is so cool, looks so old, even has the moss all over that thing, how the heck did you even notice it was a drop.

The Bit Runner.
12-10-2011, 03:46 PM
I've always found sheds before Christmas. I think the first shed we found last year was Dec 14th. Saw a moose this morning with 1 antler dropped...

Realy?? Are you sure it never got busted off or he damaged it in velvet and it never grew cause i have never ever heard of a moose that shed his horns by the 10th of Dec. Where did you see the bull at what area? alberta ect.

Not saying it couldnt happen i guess but that would be the earliest i have ever seen or heard of a moose dropping his horns. My exsperinces have been they drop much , much later than deer. I have seen moose in April with both sides still. Seen a nice bull by warburg years ago going across a field with both sides still on and if i remember right it was like the 7th of april i believe.

Has anyone else ever seen a moose or found a shed by the 10th of Dec?:)

timba
12-10-2011, 04:05 PM
I love shed hunting,I cant wait to get out this spring.I got a new area to look for them:)

The Bit Runner.
12-10-2011, 05:19 PM
I love shed hunting,I cant wait to get out this spring.I got a new area to look for them:)

I know i am pumped this year cause i bought a sled i can cover alot more ground now.:sHa_shakeshout::sHa_shakeshout:

BrownBear416
12-10-2011, 05:22 PM
Realy?? Are you sure it never got busted off or he damaged it in velvet and it never grew cause i have never ever heard of a moose that shed his horns by the 10th of Dec. Where did you see the bull at what area? alberta ect.

Not saying it couldnt happen i guess but that would be the earliest i have ever seen or heard of a moose dropping his horns. My exsperinces have been they drop much , much later than deer. I have seen moose in April with both sides still. Seen a nice bull by warburg years ago going across a field with both sides still on and if i remember right it was like the 7th of april i believe.

I found a fresh bull moose shed a few years ago around the 3rd week of November. I talked to an operator yesterday that saw a bull with one horn.Not sure if it shed or broke but I would think shed.

-CLM-
12-10-2011, 06:33 PM
Picked up this set in October while Elk hunting. Found them 20 yards apart from each other. Decent 145-150 class deer, he also broke a drop tine off his right side.

As for the moose antler debate, it is not uncommon for moose to shed in December. Moose are amoung the first of Alberta's Cervidae to shed their antlers and I have seen it occur as early as the last week of November.

Cant wait for the 2012 shed season!

The Bit Runner.
12-10-2011, 07:06 PM
I found a fresh bull moose shed a few years ago around the 3rd week of November. I talked to an operator yesterday that saw a bull with one horn.Not sure if it shed or broke but I would think shed.

Wow! I would never of guessed but i guess its no different than some finding deer sheds early as well. The earliest i have ever found a shed was last year middle of december but i know they drop them much earlier than that. Better get on the trails when i get home.

Frans
12-10-2011, 10:33 PM
Tried shed collecting methods

There are METHODS???? How come nobody told me?

walking buffalo
12-11-2011, 07:08 AM
As for the moose antler debate, it is not uncommon for moose to shed in December. Moose are amoung the first of Alberta's Cervidae to shed their antlers and I have seen it occur as early as the last week of November.

Cant wait for the 2012 shed season!

Wildlife managers will agree with you too. Most winter surveys for moose take into account that the vast majority of Bull moose will have shed their antlers by February.

I hope everyone has fun shed hunting this year. Keep in mind how the animals in your area are faring with winter, and leave their core areas alone if they are stressed out. No point in risking pushing them closer to death over a shed.

Frans, A great method is to look around Ranchhouse gardens.... ;)

honda450
12-11-2011, 07:21 AM
Here is a set I found last year. First set of moose I found together no more than 6 feet apart.

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz234/honda450990/100_0228.jpg

The Bit Runner.
12-11-2011, 08:18 AM
Here is a set I found last year. First set of moose I found together no more than 6 feet apart.

Thats a awesome set of sheds, Congrats!!

hunt247
12-11-2011, 10:14 AM
I picked a fresh moose shed on November 27th this year found it very weird when i seen it

bonedogg
12-20-2011, 02:17 PM
found a fresh white tail shed in the forestry this weekend, I have never found one this early. Hope he makes it!

WTHunter
12-20-2011, 02:36 PM
Saw a mulie buck with only one side on Sunday

ishootbambi
12-20-2011, 11:44 PM
[QUOTE=The Bit Runner.;1201285]Not saying it couldnt happen i guess but that would be the earliest i have ever seen or heard of a moose dropping his horns. QUOTE]

was it the last big buck mag or the one beofre where the guy shot a moose and an antler fell off?

and jeff.....i havent seen a moose with 11 inch bases i dont think....but i know of an elk close to 12.

im lookingforward to xxxtreme shedhunter showing up here in a few weeks with another set of antlers off that big whitetail he seems to be familiar with.

laker
12-21-2011, 08:13 PM
This is going to be a dismal year for sheds. The low deer numbers and lack of snow(so far) will make finding an antler almost impossible. Over the years my numbers of yearly antlers have dwindled to barely fill a rubbermaid container and not the big one either!!
The years of 100+ horns a season are gone.....for me anyhow.
Good luck to all the shed scoopers!

Warrior
12-22-2011, 10:57 AM
To all you shed hunters in Calgary. I would love to get out but 3 kids in sports etc it is tough....

I would love to get a couple of sheds for the dogs... Big or small.... any size would be appreciated... If you have any that you are not wanting to keep, PLEASE drop me a line....

Thanks
D

bonedogg
12-22-2011, 02:27 PM
here is a pic of the one I found last weekend

bonedogg
12-22-2011, 02:29 PM
Warrior,

PM me cause I'm sure I could help you out with a couple of small guys.

boonie
12-22-2011, 09:17 PM
Nice shed Bonedogg! Looks real heavy, could be from an old buck.
Not a good sign for any deer to lose an antler this early, especially with the easy winter we've had so far.

BlueGrizz700
12-22-2011, 10:59 PM
I was out hunting with a buddy by Mundare a few years back and there was a Bull Moose with no antlers just two red holes in his head. That was on Nov. 20 or 30. Strangest thing I ever saw.

Lone_Wolf
12-31-2011, 03:03 PM
Saw some mule deer a few days ago. The bucks were still packing their little spikes.

outdoors forever
12-31-2011, 03:30 PM
http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l538/pauldonahue717/sheds3.jpg

The wife and I found this awesome match on Dec 21 this year. Such a shame about the broke off G2 on the right side.

Re: the moose debate - my dad and an old friend were moose hunting in late Nov years back, and actually watched a big old bull shake the antlers off his head, both fell at the same time. Nice find!

saskbowman
01-01-2012, 11:56 AM

yes definatly I try to just check feeding areas where the deer are farther away during the day if your going into bedding areas this time of year your liable to push that big buck out never to find a shed. Ive gotten excited in the past and pushed a deer I found 1 side to, anoter guy I know found his opposite side 5 miles away.

cougar chaser
01-01-2012, 05:33 PM
would have argued that its too early until today,, found a real nice set of four pointers...

saskbowman
01-01-2012, 05:44 PM
first one for 2012. sorry bout the pics never thought to take any until i got back. probably 2-4 days old by the look of the tracks and blood on the base.

shad199
01-01-2012, 09:00 PM
Whats the best way to find sheds. Tried walking trails but never much luck

albertadeer
01-01-2012, 09:31 PM
Whats the best way to find sheds. Tried walking trails but never much luck

Find area where they are wintering. Then walk 10x more then you did before.

YoungBuck
01-02-2012, 06:55 PM
Found my first two sheds for the year on new years day. Was up north for the weekend and wanted to check out a new moose spot i found last fall. Well i ended up finding the two easiest sheds of my life laying right in the middle of my quad tarcks from just over amonth ago, just had to drive up with the snowmobiles. With our best guess the big one would go about 52".

Jameson340
01-02-2012, 07:31 PM
just found this shed today, was out wolf hunting out west and almost ran over this shed on the lease road. Lots of blood on the base.

http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd428/benjames7/shed.jpg

Mitchell0724
01-02-2012, 08:00 PM
I found this one on Saturday around Caroline. Still had a bit of blood on it and fairly fresh tracks to where it was dropped. Im guessing two or thee days from when I picked it up it was dropped.
http://i963.photobucket.com/albums/ae118/the-fly-fisher/535c1ba8.jpg

Mitchell0724
01-02-2012, 08:41 PM
Here is a better picture that you can compare size too. Not a giant but a nice buck.
http://i963.photobucket.com/albums/ae118/the-fly-fisher/c4986453.jpg

hayseed
01-02-2012, 09:06 PM

Those are awesome sheds honda.... nice find!!

Don K
01-03-2012, 04:44 PM

I've never seen a bull running around that late with antlers still attached. Elk for sure, but never moose... It was out NW of Calgary. Saw a bull today that'd dropped both sides and his pedicles where pretty big as was he so I'm thinking he was a good bull. Have seen lots of bulls dropped by Christmas in past years. If anything I usually see moose that have dropped their bone first, even before the whitetails. Then the whitetails with muleys a few weeks later. Elk are usually last, and typically a lot later. The small guys of all the species seem to drop a bit later than the average to big guys too. That's just from my experience.

Bassett
01-05-2012, 07:33 PM
I'm hunting Near peace river this week and I've seen 3 mulie bucks and 1 bull elk all supporting both antlers.. No sheds found yet!! But I did find a bull moose skull with both antlers, will post a pic tomorrow

woyer4
01-05-2012, 07:42 PM
I cant wait to check my spots!!!

crownb
01-05-2012, 10:14 PM

About ten years ago my dad shot a bull moose in the last week of november it had one antler when he shot it and when we walked up to it he had none.That was a pretty scarey feeling knowing full well it was a legal bull when he shot it and now it was laying on the ground with no bone on it. Two days later I found a moose shed on a cutline we would frequent every day,there must of been something that year that made them shed early.

Coniferous
01-05-2012, 10:17 PM
Nice Shes everybody
Heading out to Swan Hills this weekend, hope to find a few more Moose an Elk

ww2269
01-05-2012, 10:35 PM
Nice Shes everybody
Heading out to Swan Hills this weekend, hope to find a few more Moose an Elk

I have never seen an elk around Swan Hills. Are there a few around?

greylynx
01-06-2012, 10:22 AM
There are elk in the area.

The elk seem to be moving in from the south to south west from the Athabasca Pembina drainage.

One of the good things by having all those old growth trees in Jasper park forcing them to move outside.

greylynx
01-06-2012, 10:28 AM
Double post. Sorry

MathewsArcher
01-06-2012, 10:34 AM
About ten years ago my dad shot a bull moose in the last week of november it had one antler when he shot it and when we walked up to it he had none.That was a pretty scarey feeling knowing full well it was a legal bull when he shot it and now it was laying on the ground with no bone on it. Two days later I found a moose shed on a cutline we would frequent every day,there must of been something that year that made them shed early.

I found a fresh moose shed on a frozen beaver pond in the Rocky Mountan House area in the last week of November while hunting deer a few years ago. Not sure what would have caused it to drop so early but it definately does happen.

buckhunter66
01-06-2012, 11:15 AM
January 2nd! I started early and found the first one! I'm shed hunting right now as I post this. Ill post pics once I get on the computer.

justinO
01-06-2012, 12:36 PM
All the bucks on my land still have their antlers. Hope they drop soon the weather is so perfect for walking. Good luck to all the Shed Hunters out there.

joker2010
01-06-2012, 10:50 PM

i had a moose cross the road in front of me on feb 14 2008 and drop his left side while he tripped in the ditch

matathonman
01-06-2012, 11:27 PM
We put bait and cam out to see what's there for horns. Hope both antlers are in the pics. One big track there more than once so chances are pretty good after a week that he'll cross it.
If I know where they're hangin just put on a lot of ground, and when I think I've had enough put on more. Just hope I have some time to get out. Only way I'll get that if it get's REAL cold.

gonefishin
02-04-2012, 10:29 PM
Finally made it out for the first time this year... and managed to find a matching set (5x4) right off the bat, and then an old 4 point a little later.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l297/seangonefishin/4Feb12.jpg

boonie
02-06-2012, 10:57 PM
Nice job gonefishin. Is that old one from the same buck?

Where's everyone elses sheds? Come on guys, post them up!!!

montec
02-06-2012, 11:11 PM
this one went 91 1/2'' found it friday

boonie
02-07-2012, 07:38 AM
Beauty!! Good luck on finding the other side.

montec
02-07-2012, 09:10 AM
thanks same goes to u, did u find both sides off the drop tine last year?

boonie
02-07-2012, 08:43 PM
No I only found the left side off of him last year. Hope to get lucky and find it this spring.

moosehorn
02-07-2012, 08:47 PM
can you post a pic of shed you found lastyear boonie,

boonie
02-07-2012, 11:04 PM
Here it is.

bezner
02-07-2012, 11:17 PM
found these ones a couple years ago...cant remember the scores on them but they just snuck by 200...havnt seen the deer that wore them yet either

boonie
02-08-2012, 07:45 AM
Nice mass on those!!

gonefishin
02-08-2012, 03:39 PM
Nice job gonefishin. Is that old one from the same buck?

Where's everyone elses sheds? Come on guys, post them up!!!

Thanks, boonie. I would say that the older one is from a different deer, they were found quite a ways apart.

gonefishin
02-08-2012, 03:41 PM
this one went 91 1/2'' found it friday

Nice! Need help finding the other side?:thinking-006:

buckhunter66
02-09-2012, 11:57 PM
heres that shed i found january 2nd.

Springer
02-10-2012, 02:07 PM
heres that shed i found january 2nd.

I have been waiting to see what BH66 has been finding and looking forward to seeing more.

gonefishin
02-11-2012, 08:08 PM
A couple more today. Sure can't wait for the mulies to start dropping.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l297/seangonefishin/Sheds/11Feb124.jpg

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l297/seangonefishin/Sheds/11Feb121.jpg

Alberta Bigbore
02-11-2012, 08:13 PM
Nice finds!!

Jameson340
02-11-2012, 08:37 PM
Found a few the other day, one match set.

http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd428/benjames7/418421_10150613000820540_704865539_11327589_513601 174_n.jpg

http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd428/benjames7/422659_10150643521350540_432320553_n.jpg

http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd428/benjames7/422355_10150643520805540_704865539_11414726_151925 1582_n.jpg

http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd428/benjames7/404804_10150613000325540_704865539_11327584_214726 3682_n.jpg

YoungBuck
02-12-2012, 02:39 PM
Managed to get up north again this weekend to try and look for the other side to the big bull shed i found new years day. I didn't find it but i found one that was even bigger. I have been looking for whitetail too, but they don't seem to be dropping up north yet.

Kevwood
02-15-2012, 07:48 PM
I have been looking for whitetail too, but they don't seem to be dropping up north yet.

I just finished looking through 13,000 trail pics from this last week....everything has dropped except 1 spike that had about 12" of bone up top still. lol

Springer
02-15-2012, 09:38 PM
I found a Nice Bull Moose shed today where i least suspected it and left my darn camera at home . something i have learned is Deer and Moose are actually working the trees at this time of year , i guess to help rid them of there antlers during this part of the shedding cycle...I will head back next week and see if i cant luck out and find the other one.

Youngbuck good on ya for finding the one you got !!

silver fox
02-15-2012, 10:09 PM
Nice work on finding your moose shed , hope you can find the match or a few more.... :)

Springer
02-16-2012, 05:12 AM
hey Silver ,I have a long ways to go to catch you but i did think of you and your pics of Moose sheds. I usually never forget my camera for the shed scrapbook.
We dont have much snow here but it was in a snowbank where it had drifted up along a tree row.

Springer
02-22-2012, 04:25 PM
Nice work on finding your moose shed , hope you can find the match or a few more.... :)

Well Silver i found the other side of that Moose shed from last week. I also figure i better put a couple more pics from Jan/Feb of what i have picked up so far..

http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp189/Springer428/Shed%20Hunting%20Album/Yeehafoundit.jpg
Where the Bull had been working the poplars .

http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp189/Springer428/Shed%20Hunting%20Album/Rubsnantler.jpg

http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp189/Springer428/Shed%20Hunting%20Album/Matchedset.jpg

http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp189/Springer428/Shed%20Hunti
ng%20Album/shedsasofFeb22.jpg

Grinch on Point !!
http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp189/Springer428/Shed%20Hunting%20Album/Birddognsheds.jpg

http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp189/Springer428/Shed%20Hunting%20Album/DSC03177.jpg

http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp189/Springer428/Shed%20Hunting%20Album/shedsasofFeb22.jpg

silver fox
02-22-2012, 05:32 PM
Wow !!! very nice Springer :sHa_shakeshout: It been a great season for you so far, keep up the good work and nice pictures too ....!! :)

gonefishin
02-22-2012, 06:50 PM
Nice finds so far, Phil!

Alberta Bigbore
02-22-2012, 07:50 PM
Nice Springer!!!! Might have to take Bella out this weekend and maybe she can fetch me up a few

Springer
02-22-2012, 10:42 PM
Nice Springer!!!! Might have to take Bella out this weekend and maybe she can fetch me up a few

A pocket full of treats goes a long way !

MissFlyfishing
02-22-2012, 10:48 PM
I jumped a whitetail on the banks of the Bow this weekend, farther down by McKinnon, that still had both his antlers. Looked like a very nice 5x5....is this normal? By the looks of this thread, they should be on the ground by now, am I wrong or are there alot still out there with antlers???

all canadian
02-22-2012, 10:49 PM
Great way to keep the dog in shape in the off season. Awesome pictures!

NBFK
02-22-2012, 10:54 PM
Spent three days in the last three weeks putting some miles on and have only come up with these. Its been pretty slow but hopefully some more bone hit the ground in the last week.

http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n613/alberta_bowman/big5-2.jpg
http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n613/alberta_bowman/DSC00368.jpg

buckhunter66
02-22-2012, 11:11 PM
well, its been slow this year. alot of miles put on and alot bucks still carrying :confused:. but found a few so far

boonie
02-23-2012, 07:21 AM
Nice jobs guys!! Keep them coming.

gonefishin
02-23-2012, 08:30 AM
I jumped a whitetail on the banks of the Bow this weekend, farther down by McKinnon, that still had both his antlers. Looked like a very nice 5x5....is this normal? By the looks of this thread, they should be on the ground by now, am I wrong or are there alot still out there with antlers???

Only some are on the ground right now.... many are still carrying.

Yéil
02-23-2012, 08:49 AM
Very nice pics, we're hoping to get out this weekend to have a poke around for some sheds.

YoungBuck
02-23-2012, 01:40 PM
Found one old moose that i will have to go get after the thaw and my first WT for the year. Its not as enjoyable when you can spot them from your car laying beside a grainery.

walking buffalo
02-24-2012, 12:25 PM

Completely normal.

Some deer may not drop their antlers until early April.

Predicting when and why deer will drop their antlers is another expression of nature's art. :)

gravedigger
02-24-2012, 06:41 PM
I was out this last weekend and found this moose shed. I also found a smaller mulie shed. I had a look around for the other side with no luck.

http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad45/Gooselight/P1010181-1.jpg

http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad45/Gooselight/P1010213.jpg

The Fisherman Guy
02-25-2012, 12:41 AM
Predicting when and why deer will drop their antlers is another expression of nature's art. :)

Amen!

YoungBuck
03-12-2012, 05:40 PM
Had an incredibly good day yesterday. Took two little side trips well out cutting birch and fishing, more scouting trips waiting for the snow to melt then anything else. But in 2.5 hours i found 6 singles and in an about 1.5 hours my dad found a nice set. The first two i found we have trail cam pics of for several years and past sheds for garanteed at least one. The four pointer which scores 55 5/8, I found 1.3 miles from where we got pics of him all summer. And the ugly broken one i found only a stones throw from where my dad found the previous one last year. The other sheds we found were in a new spot on crown land so we have no history with them. Can't go back to look for the other sides for FOUR weeks as we are planning on heading to 204 and 508 the next couple of weekends. I am afraid they will all be bleached white by the time we get back.

YoungBuck
03-17-2012, 09:49 PM
got out to 204 today and i found 1 fresh and 2 old mules and my dad found 9 old ones. We have never struggled so much to find fresh ones. We saw a couple of buck that were still packing so maybe thats why. Managed to complete a set from an old buck that died in the spring of 2011, which was very cool.

MB1
03-21-2012, 10:11 PM
Not much action yet on this thread? I have next week off with the kids for spring break, will hopefully have a bunch of pics to post this time next week.

steve
03-21-2012, 10:22 PM
http://i647.photobucket.com/albums/uu191/sherrittmetals/756a7112.jpg

Saber tooth tiger?

gonefishin
03-22-2012, 09:06 AM
My Dad and I went out on Sunday and found these. 2 fresh mulie, 5 old, 1 fresh moose, and 1 old whitetail.

I think it's not going to be an easy shed hunting year with the mild weather and lack of snow, the deer didn't have much reason to congregate in the regular feeding areas, the food was everywhere.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l297/seangonefishin/Sheds/18Mar129.jpg

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l297/seangonefishin/Sheds/18Mar1212.jpg

scrapper
03-22-2012, 02:54 PM
Been working the river around Med Hat a bit with no luck so far, but I did find a nice moose shed right in the city of Edmonton last week.

walking buffalo
03-26-2012, 01:28 PM
Driving past a plowed field that I have been keeping an eye on, as a big old buck lives in the area, I finally spotted a shed. It is not from the big guy, but the location made for a decent photo.

http://i772.photobucket.com/albums/yy10/keetspics/DSC02720a.jpg

Aussiehunter
03-26-2012, 04:11 PM
Right on!!

gonefishin
03-26-2012, 10:03 PM
Driving past a plowed field that I have been keeping an eye on, as a big old buck lives in the area, I finally spotted a shed. It is not from the big guy, but the location made for a decent photo.

http://i772.photobucket.com/albums/yy10/keetspics/DSC02720a.jpg

That's an awesome pic, WB.

Rocks
03-26-2012, 10:19 PM
That's an awesome pic, WB.

X2!!

chain2
03-26-2012, 10:22 PM
http://i647.photobucket.com/albums/uu191/sherrittmetals/756a7112.jpg

Saber tooth tiger?

wth nother pic please?? is that a drop or wonky main?
chain

CLB
03-27-2012, 11:20 AM
wth nother pic please?? is that a drop or wonky main?
chain

Looks like a young bull moose to me.

Bearen09
03-27-2012, 11:29 AM
Looks like a young bull moose to me.

X2

dfrobert
03-28-2012, 03:54 PM
Some pics. Did pretty good this year for sheds. A lot of different deer moved into one particular 1/4section of hay that never received its second cut. I actually found shed hunting more difficult this year vs. last year. IMO last year with the amount of snow we had the deer stuck to 1 or 2 main trails when moving from their beds and into the fields to eat. The sheds were never far from their main game trails......This year they roamed a lot more so had to cover more ground. A couple of sheds are from last year, throwing them in for the heck of it.

4x4.....twoonies on main beams
http://i692.photobucket.com/albums/vv281/dfrobert/match4x4.jpg
back left side
http://i692.photobucket.com/albums/vv281/dfrobert/mass2.jpg
comparison to average shed
http://i692.photobucket.com/albums/vv281/dfrobert/4x4bigandsmall.jpg
I use my Griffon for shed hunting. He finds probably half the horns.
http://i692.photobucket.com/albums/vv281/dfrobert/vinshed.jpg
Bird brain
http://i692.photobucket.com/albums/vv281/dfrobert/oldcreek-1.jpg

dfrobert
03-28-2012, 04:07 PM
Here is the left side of a perfect trypical 5x5 that I found this year. His sheds were 250 yards apart. That particular buck dropped both sides next to the old dried up creek that my dog is pointing a Ruffie in (previous pic).

left side
http://i692.photobucket.com/albums/vv281/dfrobert/5X.jpg
http://i692.photobucket.com/albums/vv281/dfrobert/5Xleft.jpg

Group shot. The bottom right shed is the right side match to the previous pics. He may be a shooter this coming hunting season....
http://i692.photobucket.com/albums/vv281/dfrobert/4sheds.jpg

Weird one
http://i692.photobucket.com/albums/vv281/dfrobert/long2.jpg

One of the few sheds I found near a popular bedding area....Almost all my sheds this year were found where the deer feed.
http://i692.photobucket.com/albums/vv281/dfrobert/beddingarea.jpg

There is good potential for years to come. Always good deer genetics where I have grown up hunting Whitetail. Just wish there was less pressure and less clown hunters in the area.

Springer
03-28-2012, 05:11 PM
Some great pics of some great sheds dfrobert...also isn't it great spending some time in them field with your dog even if we cant carry the bird gun...

dfrobert
03-28-2012, 05:18 PM
Thx Springer. Your dog looks awesome. Those Spaniels sure love to work!

albertadeer
03-28-2012, 05:36 PM
Some pics. Did pretty good this year for sheds. A lot of different deer moved into one particular 1/4section of hay that never received its second cut. I actually found shed hunting more difficult this year vs. last year. IMO last year with the amount of snow we had the deer stuck to 1 or 2 main trails when moving from their beds and into the fields to eat. The sheds were never far from their main game trails......This year they roamed a lot more so had to cover more ground. A couple of sheds are from last year, throwing them in for the heck of it.

4x4.....twoonies on main beams
http://i692.photobucket.com/albums/vv281/dfrobert/match4x4.jpg
back left side
http://i692.photobucket.com/albums/vv281/dfrobert/mass2.jpg
comparison to average shed
http://i692.photobucket.com/albums/vv281/dfrobert/4x4bigandsmall.jpg

Those are some slug 4's, congrats on those beauties!:sHa_shakeshout:

Springer
03-29-2012, 12:56 AM
Thx Springer. Your dog looks awesome. Those Spaniels sure love to work!

Ya he's my shed hunting partner and he gets a little pouty during the days i work and can't get out in the field. He's been known to pick up a shed or two as well.

-CLM-
03-29-2012, 08:41 PM
Holy buckets dfrobert! Have you put a tape on those 4's yet? Amazing find. Congrats!

chain2
03-29-2012, 08:46 PM
X2
really dang Im just not seeing it??
chain:thinking-006:

GoneFishin'
03-30-2012, 10:31 AM
I have only recently gone out looking for sheds and have just hit up one area and only come across one so far...no luck in finding the other side...Going to hit up a couple of other areas as well and see what I may come across...Thanks to everyone for sharing their finds :)

Here is the one that I did manage to find yesterday

Deer Hunter
03-31-2012, 09:45 PM
Was out today, found 14, this was the best, 18" G2 plus 11" G4 from last year
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj188/AlbertaFleaBags/f7472fe6.jpg

YoungBuck
04-01-2012, 01:47 PM
Found 4 in 508 yesterday, one was pretty cool, i have never found one like it before. The biggest one scores 59 7/8. Still lots of snow in the bush so i'm sure i walked past some.

Redneck Renagade
04-01-2012, 01:59 PM
http://http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg557/redneck_renagade/0974f1fc.jpg

Drop_Tine
04-01-2012, 07:05 PM
Here is my little guys first shed !! :sHa_shakeshout:.... he found it 10 days ago we have been having a blast this spring ! he has found 5 so far , I really like to hear the words "Dad Look , Dad Look" ....Its great being a dad !!

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g440/Jasonvillemaire/IMG_1448.jpg

Springer
04-01-2012, 07:53 PM
Good on ya for taking the kids Out Droptine. Just as exciting as an Easter Egg Hunt.

MB1
04-02-2012, 07:04 PM
Hey guys said I would post what I found and finally got the pics off phone. Last Thursday was my best shed hunting day yet. I found two matching sets, one whitetail and one muley. The whitetail set was maybe 15 yards from each other and the muley sheds were easily 600 yards apart. The second muley shed was pure luck as I spotted it off the back of a skidoo going 50mph across a field! Both sets are my best for that species and I can't wait to hunt that area this bow season.

Springer
04-02-2012, 08:42 PM
I got out and enjoyed some great weather the last couple days. The shed hunt'n was slow but i will post the few i found anyway.
There seems to be the question that comes up from newbies at the shed hunting thing like where to look etc ....Well you just never know where you will find the next one , todays point in case, after a few km's i come back to the truck with nothing only to find one in the ditch 50 yds from my truck
http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp189/Springer428/Shed%20Hunting%20Album/DSC03283.jpg

I also learned you have to look up at times to find them , but the corral gate ..
http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp189/Springer428/Shed%20Hunting%20Album/DSC03285.jpg

A 4 point that never made the winter..
http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp189/Springer428/Shed%20Hunting%20Album/DSC03264.jpg

And for good measure here's a trail cam pic of a buck that dropped in March.
http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp189/Springer428/Shed%20Hunting%20Album/PICT0044.jpg

nicholal
04-02-2012, 09:36 PM
Found this elk shed on Thursday. Looked for over an hour and a half for other side..think someone may have pick it up in feild.

Nice 6x6

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/picture.php?albumid=11&pictureid=4745

holding shed
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/picture.php?albumid=11&pictureid=4746

dre611
04-02-2012, 10:14 PM
that elk shed is awesome I'd love to find something like that!

So far I found a 5 point and a roadkill 4x5 whitetails.

jace
04-02-2012, 11:37 PM
No shed hunting this year yet. Hockey season just ended now my weekends are free! Just come across a Mule buck with 2 shiney antler pockets, while walkin the dog. Antlers down in my area finally!
Hopefully its as good as last year, here are Last years finds.

NBFK
04-02-2012, 11:49 PM
Thats an awesome elk shed!!!

YoungBuck
04-09-2012, 05:56 PM
Not much this weekend by Athabasca, the snow really put a damper on things. Found a couple old sets, my dad found a nice one that we have some history with. He only scored 63 because he was busted up. Found the other side to a shed I found on March 11, and i also found a broken elk antler pretending to be a shed, it fooled me until i pulled it from the snow.

airbornedeerhunter
04-09-2012, 06:29 PM
Heres mine!

steeleyes
04-09-2012, 06:46 PM
Some really nice finds fella's! That heavy,
4 by 4 set is wicked!

H380
04-09-2012, 06:49 PM
Great sheds guys ,, none for me however I did see a 100" whitey with both sides still intact today , 4x4 .. couldn't beleive it .

Elkaholic6
04-09-2012, 06:55 PM
Can't wait to get out and see what I can find! I have the heads to the animals I wanted tho :)

Bassett
04-09-2012, 08:18 PM
I was out near athabasca at our lake lot on saturday but there was still quite alot of snow, will be back in a week or two when the snow has died down and hopefully theres a few sheds left out there lol.. Have a couple im looking for.

flyguyd
04-09-2012, 09:47 PM
I was out near athabasca at our lake lot on saturday but there was still quite alot of snow, will be back in a week or two when the snow has died down and hopefully theres a few sheds left out there lol.. Have a couple im looking for.

They will be in the grass by a bush:bad_boys_20: ....... LOL

Mr.twister
04-10-2012, 07:49 AM
From yesterday.

http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n604/iceshantyshack/IMG_1657-1.jpg

gonefishin
04-11-2012, 10:33 AM
The pickins have been slim in my area to say the least. Everywhere I go, all I find is other boot prints or quad tracks. Here's an unfortunate fellow I found on Monday:

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l297/seangonefishin/Sheds/9April3.jpg

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l297/seangonefishin/Sheds/9April2.jpg

Deer Hunter
04-11-2012, 10:46 AM
What a way to die...:confused:

Springer
04-11-2012, 04:17 PM
That is a sad ending for that Buck Sean. It been slim pickings around here to??

Redneck Renagade
04-12-2012, 07:17 PM
Decent buck that's for sure

Redneck Renagade
04-12-2012, 07:20 PM
Here is a set I picked up earlier
http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg557/redneck_renagade/0974f1fc.jpg

kronk
04-13-2012, 04:33 AM
My ''Sheds'' were kind of a unique find. They were on their way to the dump, and I cought the guy before he could throw them in the pile.
http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac348/bryon_redknap/bd370332.jpg

YoungBuck
04-19-2012, 08:04 PM
Managed to get out to 248 twice this week and had more success then i have had the last 3 years. Found a total of 8, the land owner liked one of them so i let him keep it, that is why there are only 7 in pic. The deer in the area don't seem to grow to big for some reason, i thinks its from the stress in winter from new subdivisions popping up taking away habitat and the snowmobiles pushing them around all winter. The 4 point in the top left of pic is a buck i have 3 years worth of sheds from, he is 5 years old and shrunk 1 3/8" from last year, he maxed at about 138".

gonefishin
04-20-2012, 11:49 AM
Nice finds YB. I think I have all but given up for this year; I`ll go look a bit more when I go to put my cameras out, but my shed hunting for this spring has been pretty dismal to say the least.

buckhunter66
04-20-2012, 12:50 PM
Nice finds YB. I think I have all but given up for this year; I`ll go look a bit more when I go to put my cameras out, but my shed hunting for this spring has been pretty dismal to say the least.

X2

walking buffalo
04-20-2012, 02:17 PM
The lack of snow this winter has allowed many of the sheds to settle into the undergrowth. Most of the sheds I've found this year have been buried. Tough hunting. I now walk with the sun at my back, hoping for the light to reflect off the bit of antler still exposed.

whitetailman
04-20-2012, 03:56 PM
I found 58 this year. Defiantly a tough year. Biggest one is a 75 5/8 4 point shed

Snap Shot
04-20-2012, 04:49 PM
Few pics of some i found this year.. Think im in mid 20's tough year
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b51/cummin04/pics%20to%20post/iphone018.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b51/cummin04/pics%20to%20post/iphone183.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b51/cummin04/pics%20to%20post/iphone007.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b51/cummin04/pics%20to%20post/iphone033.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b51/cummin04/pics%20to%20post/iphone034.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b51/cummin04/pics%20to%20post/horns-1.jpg

GoneFishin'
04-20-2012, 08:26 PM
Some nice looking sheds...I haven't been out a whole lot yet and have only found three all told, one of which didn't survive and was found pretty much buried under some grass with just the antler tips sticking out...just about missed it...there are 6 on each side including one that either rotted or broke off.

Springer
04-20-2012, 09:41 PM
Well done guys !!I have not been out for quite awhile and when i get days off again i am headed for some Fishing in BC. So keep the pics coming ya'all.

Aussiehunter
04-21-2012, 12:58 PM
Got out 7 - 8 times this year, was little slow going and had to cover a lot of ground. But the sun was shininig and I had a blast.

Nait Hadya
04-21-2012, 02:34 PM

yep,found a shed above treeline that had a huge base,the marmots had consumed the rest of the antler. there were fresh track in the area that indicated he's still walking around up there somewhere, though a guy would need a helicopter to get him out of there.

bdub
04-26-2012, 02:15 PM
Here is one the dog found today, also found a horse skull and a cow elk skull, bugle teeth gone.

cowmanbob
04-27-2012, 10:15 AM
managed to find these in my favorite moose area.http://i1111.photobucket.com/albums/h469/cowmanbob1/P1010785.jpg

YoungBuck
05-23-2012, 07:48 PM
Did the final count this last weekend, between me and my dad we found 82 sheds. The biggest moose is about 53", and the biggest WT is about 70". Tough year for big stuff and no real hot spots.

gonefishin
05-24-2012, 11:04 AM
Nice finds YB... you did a lot better than me, I gave up before I hit 20.

boonie
05-24-2012, 03:35 PM
Good job guys. I only found about 15, my worst year ever for numbers but I did find my biggest matching set ever.