PDA

View Full Version : Trail cams.........

deerslayer
12-02-2011, 07:27 PM
Some one picked up ( stole ) my hunting partners trail cam. Is this an isolated incident or is there lots of cams getting picked up? No honor among thieves, and some hunters.

bushnell
12-02-2011, 08:32 PM
Welcome to the club. You are not the first to loose a camera this year. It seems to happen far to often. It doesn't matter where the cameras are located private property or crown land.

BrownBear416
12-02-2011, 08:33 PM
Lost 2 cams this year...

Scottie
12-02-2011, 08:37 PM
Lost a cam this year, if I find someone with Bridgestone Dualler A/Ts and size 6 feet next year they just might have a flat tire or two....

BrownBear416
12-02-2011, 08:38 PM
Lost a cam this year, if I find someone with Bridgestone Dualler A/Ts and size 6 feet next year they just might have a flat tire or two....

Size 13s here and Coopers so Im off the watch list ;)

just_dave
12-02-2011, 08:48 PM
Finders keepers. Lol, no just kidding.

It's the reason I haven't purchased a trail cam.

BigBucks4Me
12-02-2011, 09:00 PM
Also had one taken this year on private property. I got a couple picture of the thief too on a second cam I had up but unfortunately the cam was set up at deer height. So the couple pics I got were all from the guys neck down... Frusturating

The Bit Runner.
12-02-2011, 09:46 PM
Lost 2 cams this year...

x2 plus a stand.

bucksman
12-02-2011, 09:57 PM
i dont know if they have them for all trail cameras but i bought some bushnell cams that you can also buy a metal case for, they are made to stop bears and "deter" theives from stealing them so unfortunately you still have to strap it to the tree using that nylon strap but i welded some chains on them, locked them on the trees, they are 30 bucks so depending how many trail cams you have it might get pricey....worth the money i guess? in the long run if people keep stealing them, havent lost one yet so cross my fingers

35 whelen
12-03-2011, 08:17 AM
had one with all the securty on cables ,box ,they just shot it off the tree ,

prairiecustom
12-03-2011, 09:28 AM
Just discovered one gone yesterday :angry3:

Big Daddy Badger
12-03-2011, 10:18 AM
I can't believe how many thieves there are out there.

Maybe there is only one?

Everyone else is just trying to get there stuff back....lol
Sorry...

This is why I haven't bought one... as tempting as it is... with my luck... it'd be gone by breakfast.
I'm just going to keep doing it the old fashioned way.... parking my butt... waiting... watching... and luck.

gatorhunter
12-03-2011, 04:30 PM
i dont know if they have them for all trail cameras but i bought some bushnell cams that you can also buy a metal case for, they are made to stop bears and "deter" theives from stealing them so unfortunately you still have to strap it to the tree using that nylon strap but i welded some chains on them, locked them on the trees

Don't they have holes so that you can run python cables through them? Mine do.

bucksman
12-08-2011, 09:05 PM
Don't they have holes so that you can run python cables through them? Mine do.

yeah, i just happened to have some chain handy and a welder....

tprince
12-08-2011, 10:20 PM
Cant someone make one that looks like a cam, but then when tampered with, blows up!! Not enough to kill or maim, but enough to burn and leave someones hands and arms REALLY uncomfortable for a while. Or put some tampering device on that shoots some dye or something. I know it wont stop them all, but it may stop some.

roger
12-08-2011, 10:21 PM
almost need two trail cams one for deer and another one to discreetly monitor the trail cam.

i see that a the rage is to have multiple tiny cams and they wirelessly report back to a master staion that can be hidden.

really tho with technology as it is i dont know why cameras are even as big as they are now

roger
12-08-2011, 10:25 PM
yeah, i just happened to have some chain handy and a welder....

a set of bolt cutters is a solution to that

Giles
12-08-2011, 10:36 PM
You think of what the new IPhone can do and how big it is . Why can't a trail cam be that small or smaller and upgrade to a bigger battery ? Stealthcam has a 12v aux battery option that would be ideal and install a gps tracking setup!!!

pyke88
12-09-2011, 09:56 AM
Sorry to hear about your luck. I had one stolen in August from private land...my land. Don't understand the mentality of those who would steal them. I don't believe these are other sportsmen using the cameras in the way they were intended, these are degenerates that steal for the sake of stealing.

Similar to other posters, I believe that cameras can be made significently smaller, without sacrificing any quality. In the mean time, do your best to chain and lock your belongings.

Stewie
12-09-2011, 10:17 AM
Had one stolen this year as well… to bad that people can’t be trusted anymore…

My next camera might have to be a Smart Scouter… they can take my camera and I have an email of the pictures of them stealing it…

Raptor
12-09-2011, 10:31 AM
I have a buddy that had 3 cameras stolen, but changed how and where he sets them up. He has 4 cameras set up and hasn't had one stolen in 4 years after he stopped setting them up near the ground.
He brings a ladder with him and places them in a tree that would be impossible to climb. He then places them looking down towards the area he wants to capture with a few branches used as como. He doesn't get the big panoramic picture, but he does capture many pics of animals. He has also captured pics of people walking by. They don't even know the cameras are up in the trees and he hasn't had a problem since.
Just thought I would pass this along as it seems to work for him.:thinking-006:

yamaha 1
12-09-2011, 10:44 AM
I have a buddy that had 3 cameras stolen, but changed how and where he sets them up. He has 4 cameras set up and hasn't had one stolen in 4 years after he stopped setting them up near the ground.
He brings a ladder with him and places them in a tree that would be impossible to climb. He then places them looking down towards the area he wants to capture with a few branches used as como. He doesn't get the big panoramic picture, but he does capture many pics of animals. He has also captured pics of people walking by. They don't even know the cameras are up in the trees and he hasn't had a problem since.

This sounds like a good idea...I had one stolen this year as well...its was on land that only me and my hunting partner can hunt. :angry3:I just can't believe that fellow hunters would do this...O and if I ever caught the guy...lets just say I might be spending some time in the big house.:budo:

newdrenalin
12-09-2011, 10:48 AM

I bought 4 cameras just a couple months ago. I am going to put them out in the spring and i think i will use this suggestion.

BigJon
12-09-2011, 10:56 AM
I set them in out-of-the-way areas. Follow game trails back into the bush from fields/meadows/cutlines. I realize this may be difficult to do in some parts of the province.