PDA

View Full Version : Winter bugs?

slivers86
12-03-2011, 08:59 AM
Can anyone suggest a good 30 flys to purchase for winter fly fishing the bow?

I wanted to winter grab pack, but icky has been out of the packs since early september, and I'm out of patience :) Any suggestions on how to spend my budget? Let me know

BGSH
12-03-2011, 09:03 AM
Can anyone suggest a good 30 flys to purchase for winter fly fishing the bow?

I wanted to winter grab pack, but icky has been out of the packs since early september, and I'm out of patience :) Any suggestions on how to spend my budget? Let me know

saw a ladybug flying around, so i guess try a ladybug pattern

slivers86
12-03-2011, 09:07 AM
actually saw one flying around? the other day out in K country it was pretty warm, thought I saw a caddis flying.. not sure though, no bug expert yet!

npauls
12-03-2011, 10:39 AM
Check the hatch reports from the fly shops around Calgary and make a list. Or go chat with them in person and see what they recommend for the bow over the winter.

Dust1n
12-03-2011, 10:47 AM
SJW+evil weavil=deadly rig for winter.
wooly bugger-imatates most food items
clouser minnows-i like gray and olive
copper johns(14-18) to imatate winter stoneflies
griffin knats from sizes 22-30 to imatate midges
scuds,swala stones,BWO are good choices too
for winter fly fishing keep your flies small and deep. unless your seeing some clusters of midges by rocks then fish the midges behind there, the browns will just wait for the midges to fall off and there not far away to grab them.

Check out the top of his mouth its all midges!

http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g348/EliteFisherman/Brown%20trout/026.jpg

npauls
12-03-2011, 11:01 AM
Good looking Brown

Solid list of flies also. Clean out your inbox FH7. It is saying it is full and I can't send you the info on some reels.

fishpro
12-03-2011, 11:26 AM
Nymphing will be the most effective way to catch fish in the winter (in my opinion). Make sure you have some basics like the San Juan Worm (size 6 or 8), and a bunch of small nymphs like pheasants tails, copper johns, evil weevils, lightning bugs, etc in sizes 14-18. Also grab a couple stoneflies and woolly buggers and you'll be set to go.

BGSH
12-03-2011, 11:31 AM
here is a link on what to use in the bow river during winter

http://goldenstone.ca/Bow_River_Winter_Fly_Patterns.php