PDA

View Full Version : Coyote calling

APA
12-03-2011, 05:47 PM
Well I'm just starting to call yotes n am wondering about a few things! When u get to a new area which call do u usualy start of with? How long should u stay on a stand before it's pretty sure nothings going to come?

FrostyinHell
12-03-2011, 06:18 PM
I'll try a stand for 1-1.5hrs and if I see nothing, move on. But do so quietly and look around, there may be a coyote hung up just out of sight. As for what sound, start with a screaming rabbit, the more intense the better, for about 2 minutes for your first series. There might be a yote close by. If you overcall right away they may get a fix on you, especially with a mouth call. If you are using an electronic call, set up about 50m away from your call and decoy and hit 'em with a 5 minute series and taper off. After about 20-25 minutes hit it again. Be consistent with your calls, if you start off with a dying rabbit sound and switch to something like fawn distress you may cause the coyote to be more cautious. By playing certain sounds you are "painting" a mental picture for the yote. That's why you have to know your call. I was out for the first time with my Firestorm and had a coyote coming into cottontail distress, I went to switch to a dying rabbit and accidentally hit a cougar call. That yote locked 'em up and his @ss was leading in high speed outta there. Couldn't help but laugh at myself.

trigger7mm
12-03-2011, 07:34 PM
I like to call a spot for 20 minutes, and then move to the next spot. I set up in as many spots as I can in a day. If you shoot a coyote, just keep calling. I have taken multiple coyotes on 1 stand many,many times. I like jackrabbit distress calls, distressed pup calls , and challenge calls during the breeding season. 47 yotes down so far this season, so not a bad start so far. Good luck to you!

Redfrog
12-03-2011, 08:28 PM
I like to start with a couple of howls. I scan with my binos, repeat the howls. Scan again. Sometimes they are coming in, sometimes the respond vocally and sometimes nothing. I switch to a distress call of some kind. I like to call loud and only stop to glass the area. I'm usually on the stand for 15 minutes or so.
As was said if you kill one keep calling. Go to a pup distress and get busy and aggressive on the call.

The callin is only one of the things that contribute to success. If you call in a coyote and can't see him, you've blown the stand and educated the coyote. Set up where you can see 360 around you. If you tuck into the cover to break your outline, he will come in and out with out you seeing him.
On the other hand if you sit or lie down in the open and watch the edge of the cover, you will increase your chances of killing.

Also watch the wind. Some want to call upwind, some want to all downwind. I prefer calling into the wind and watching my downwind, preferably with a partner. I try to kill the coyote before he gets down wind. Once he gets your scent, the games over.

Also watch the lay of the land. If he can come in through a low swale or fold where he is out of your site, it means he will and you will miss the opportunity to let the air out of him.

There is not one thing that makes the difference it is attention to details, lots of details.

APA
12-03-2011, 09:46 PM
That helps alot guys thanks! But another question how will a fox react to a coyote howl?

leeaspell
12-03-2011, 10:05 PM
Sorry APA not trying to hijack here, but when you guys say 20 minutes and move on, how far do you move? are you in farmland or in bush?

trigger7mm
12-04-2011, 11:55 AM
I hunt farmland, and usually have multiple spots picked out before I go out in the morning, depending on wind direction. I've found that yotes seem to come in sooner and later, so after 20 minutes, I'm off to my next spot. I like to be at least a mile from my last spot. If you know where you're going, you can hit one spot after another without too much own time.

Redfrog
12-04-2011, 12:13 PM
A coyote will kill a fox if given the opportunity, however that doesn't mean that foxes stampeded at the sound of of coyote howls. They are an everyday occurrence in the real world. I have had foxes come to the gun when I switch to my distress calls. Foxes usually respond better to bird distress. I don't target foxes, but have killed them while calling coyotes.

Leaspell. When I call, depending on wind and weather conditions, I can get a response from a coyote 2 miles away. Sometimes it's a vocal response and some times they just charge in and die tired. So I move from 1-4 miles. I do have some spots where the population is good and I won't move so far.

Sometimes when I get a vocal response, and they don't come in, I'll just move closer. Sometimes by walking closer and sometimes this means driving to a mile the other side of them.

igorot
12-04-2011, 12:39 PM
Whatever you do don't test your electronic call when you are not ready:medium-smiley-035:

rednecknimrod
12-12-2011, 10:29 PM
Thanks for the info guys i hunt coyotes with APA and hes doing good figuring it all out using my caller :)