PDA

View Full Version : To Boat Or Not To Boat

ThatCanadianGuyEh
12-04-2011, 11:53 AM
Hey guys just trying to get some information to help me make up my mind.

I may be moving to Alberta (Rocky Mountain House specifically) from Saskatchewan and I was wondering what I could expect from the lakes around the area (within an hours drive).

I currently own a 1996 Crestliner FishHawk 1750 SC with a 1996 Johnson FastStrike 115HP outboard and I'm trying to decide whether or not I sell it and get a new toy (quad, sled etc) or keep it and get decent use out of it with a relatively low chance of tagging a rock or submerged object (I know that could be a tall order).

Whats your opinion on the hunting, fishing and all around outdoors stuff for that area? Any information positive and negative would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the help!

Albertafisher
12-04-2011, 02:02 PM
Welcome to the forum first of all!

As for the boat, I would keep it, but sell the motor and get a trolling motor. A lot of lakes in the area are electric motors only (the lakes to the west).
And if you don't keep the boat, there are a lot of rivers in the area that are just as good as the lakes.

Dust1n
12-04-2011, 03:03 PM
buy a pair of waders and take advantage of the stream fishing rocky has to offer.

npauls
12-04-2011, 04:08 PM
Isn't gull and Sylvan lake within an hour of Rocky?

There is plenty of places around Alberta that you could use it if you wanted.

I would also invest in some good waders and wading boots and go hike around all the flowing waters around Rocky. There is tons of good fishing in that area.

ThatCanadianGuyEh
12-06-2011, 07:58 AM
Hmmm, maybe I'll keep it then and check thoe's lakes out around red deer, I hate having to give up my toys anyways heh.

Defiantly going to give the stream fishing a try and as for replacing the gas motor with an electric ummm.... I need 2 miles of heavy duty electrical cable and a 150hp industrial electric motor, maybe a beer too... :)

Jiffy10
12-09-2011, 02:38 PM
Wait till you get here and talk to some locals.. There are a number of lakes
within easy driving distance . Dont sell the motor and put an electric on
this big boat. Thats a shame.

The boat will most likely get you more here than in Sask. so
drag it to your new home and hang on a bit.

welcome....

m.fisherman
12-09-2011, 02:49 PM
Hi. I would keep it... I own 16,2 Princecraft with 70 HP and she is very handy.... Have moved from Ontario 3 years ago...