PDA

View Full Version : Ice Fishing Pop-up

pelada trochu
12-05-2011, 09:14 AM
Canadian Tire has a 6man Pop up for sale for the same price as a 3 man.
I have 2 little girls which may accompany me from time to time.
Wife might even come a bit. But mostly would be me.
Im a really big guy and so being comfortable is important (dont want to feel like im sitting inside a porta potti.

Having never ice fished...
Are they a pain to setup on a windy day?
Would a 6 man be too hard to do by yourself?
would the larger one be unnecessary?
i have reasonable packing space when travelling.
Do they have to be aired out and dried when you get home?

Any other comments appreciated.

Don K
12-05-2011, 09:21 AM
Haven't seen the one your looking at, but bigger is better... Can't have to much room. Gear, kids, camera etc all adds up to a lack of room.
I don't air either of mine and have no issues?
Some are better than others for set up. I've got an old one that I never use cause my other two are way easier.
Buy it, set up a couple times before you go, and if it's a pain to do yourself, take it back.

sureshot
12-05-2011, 03:52 PM
invest in the fat fish 4 lots of room. 289 at wholesale sports. you won't be disappointed.

Andy

pelada trochu
12-05-2011, 10:55 PM
thanks, i went to see the one at ct today and its not the size in the paper.
its only 140 x 70 x 70. since im 76" TALL that just wont do.

i was intially interested in a fat fish so i will go that direction now.

someone said they get real slushy inside as compared to something with a flat floor. any comments on that, if they do, ever put something down to keep the bottom a little dryer?

Willowtrail
12-06-2011, 06:45 PM
We use foam interlocking pads. Mine are 40" x 40" x1" thick.

Best idea ever. Many on this forum use these and they keep your feet off the ice and not slippery.

I have the Fatfish 9416 and it's awesome. Loads of room but I've only had 2 guys in it twice now and haven't set it up alone. It would be possible but probably a bit tricky. Will easily hold 6-7 guys and toys but tight. Ideally 4 is perfect in there giving each person 40" x 94" to themselves for chair, tv, flasher and any other toys needed.

gulfman
12-06-2011, 08:37 PM
I have a 4 man ice cube, and always dry it out when I get home. It's handy that i have a heated shop to do it in lol, i found that especially if it gets real wet and put away without drying out that mold appears. did not like that green color, washed and dried and have not had a problem since.

Geezle
12-07-2011, 08:00 AM
I've got an Eskimo QuickFish 3 from last year, and it works perfect for me and the fishing I do. Comfy for 2 guys, though kinda cramped with 3.

For my floor I have some interlocking foam pads I got from CT. I think they're about 2'x2' each and around 3/8" thick. You can usually find a pack of 4 for about $15 or around $10 on sale. They make a huge difference...they help you avoid the slush/ice on the bottom so you're not sliding around, and having your feet off the ice really helps toward keeping them warm.

I run a sunflower style heater in there as well :)