PDA

View Full Version : Southern Alberta Ice Fishing

archeryman
12-05-2011, 12:45 PM
I am new to southern alberta. Is there any place that is frozen enough to fish??? I am in Lethbridge. I know the weather hasn't been great for freezing yet, but if anybody knows a lake or pond with fish in it that is 6" of ice or more, I am willing to explore! I don't know where to start though!

Thanks in advance!

fisherwoman
12-05-2011, 12:50 PM
I don't think it's been cold enough for safe ice yet. So I haven't risked it. But when I do try I will let u know how thick it was.

jacenbeers
12-05-2011, 01:06 PM
Have a look at the posts that have already been made about it. There are lots of ice reports already posted that you can find. There is definitely safe ice out there.

archeryman
12-05-2011, 01:17 PM
Have a look at the posts that have already been made about it. There are lots of ice reports already posted that you can find. There is definitely safe ice out there.

Will do, but don't know any lakes at all being named. Will have to take my time and try and find them on a map I guess.. Thanks.

gordfishing
12-05-2011, 03:56 PM
you live in Lethbridge, the biggest fish I ever lost was ice fishing
at Nicolas Sheridan on the west side of town
the trout ripped one my leader as I was jigging

Wes_G
12-05-2011, 11:46 PM
There was still open water on Nich. Sheran on saturday.... I would be leary.

spring 21
01-16-2012, 03:54 PM
nic is completely safe out there ive fished on it way early in the season but the fishing was slow. just stay away from the open and water and you will be fine , theres some good trout in there i caught a 5 pound brown there this summer

Guitarplayingfish
01-16-2012, 04:12 PM
nic is completely safe out there ive fished on it way early in the season but the fishing was slow. just stay away from the open and water and you will be fine , theres some good trout in there i caught a 5 pound brown there this summer

I don't think I would listen to this guy... I fished it earlier in the season myself, at about 6"... Last week there was open water...There won't be anymore, but it will be difficult to see what the ice thickness is if your unfamiliar with the lake and/or where the open water originally was. If your heading out there, drill some test holes on the way out.. Personally I don't think I would go there just yet, but I know a lot of the reservoirs are finally freezing up. Just be careful, and don't assume everything will be "fine".

Scott N
01-16-2012, 04:15 PM
We fished Keho on Saturday, but everyone that we saw was fishing the west canal, not the main lake. The ice was safe and a few guys were catching fish, including someone who caught one that appeared to be 10 lb + from where I could see it. The wind sure sucked though.

Beaver Mines, Beauvais, Lees.... they should all be safe if you want to catch a few trout. We were out at Beaver Mines on New Year's Day and the ice was about 12" thick.

Guitarplayingfish
01-16-2012, 04:18 PM
Keho is fine, Little trout lakes are fine as well.. Its the in town ponds that you need to watch out for (lethbrtidge)... Hell I was fishing keho on 6" of ice when there was open water on nic... They don't freeze the same. It shouldn't be long now, but Im just saying if your heading to Nicholas sheran be safe.

loetv
01-16-2012, 10:57 PM
Janson lake 12 inch ice be fishing 4 time very close lethbridge ,

Wes_G
01-16-2012, 11:21 PM
WHA?? that was incredibly hard to understand.....?

Woody_16
01-17-2012, 01:28 AM
Beaver Mines, Beauvais, Lees.... they should all be safe if you want to catch a few trout.

Anyone been out there in the last week or two to confirm that? Not sure if they got any of the summer weather that Lethbridge did lately or not.. or if it would have thinned them out much.

Will probably check Nicholas Sheran out this weekend after this cold snap, guessing it will be pretty safe by then.

braxxtonn
01-17-2012, 06:41 AM
chin, keho, st. mary's, badger, traverse, mcgregor, these are a few lakes within an hour from lethbridge, most are pike, perch and walleye type of lakes .
and by the week end they will all be fairly safe

DustDee
01-17-2012, 10:39 AM
I was at Lee Lake on Thursday Jan 12th, and there was 8 - 10 inches of ice. Some white patches, but mostly clear.

Dusty

gprime27
01-17-2012, 03:17 PM
I don't think I would listen to this guy... I fished it earlier in the season myself, at about 6"... Last week there was open water...There won't be anymore, but it will be difficult to see what the ice thickness is if your unfamiliar with the lake and/or where the open water originally was. If your heading out there, drill some test holes on the way out.. Personally I don't think I would go there just yet, but I know a lot of the reservoirs are finally freezing up. Just be careful, and don't assume everything will be "fine".

I was out there yesterday. It's fine.. Very hard solid ice.

gprime27
01-17-2012, 03:19 PM
Keho is fine, Little trout lakes are fine as well.. Its the in town ponds that you need to watch out for (lethbrtidge)... Hell I was fishing keho on 6" of ice when there was open water on nic... They don't freeze the same. It shouldn't be long now, but Im just saying if your heading to Nicholas sheran be safe.

I'd trust Guitarplayingfish dude, I have fished with him and you can take everything he says seriously and to heart. If he says it's safe it's safe.. shees:argue2:

Woody_16
01-17-2012, 03:33 PM
I was at Lee Lake on Thursday Jan 12th, and there was 8 - 10 inches of ice. Some white patches, but mostly clear.

Dusty

Thanks for the update.

Guitarplayingfish
01-17-2012, 03:38 PM
I was out there yesterday. It's fine.. Very hard solid ice.

Good to know, Wouldn't think it would take long to freeze up but it was certainly the first one to open in that warm weather we were having.. I even spin-casted it briefly in the wind one day haha. Did you have any luck in this freezing weather gprime?

Woody_16
01-17-2012, 03:52 PM
Good to know, Wouldn't think it would take long to freeze up but it was certainly the first one to open in that warm weather we were having.. I even spin-casted it briefly in the wind one day haha. Did you have any luck in this freezing weather gprime?

I was thinking of doing the same when I saw it almost half open.. with this -40 all week it should be more than good for the weekend when it (hopefully) warms up.

gprime27
01-17-2012, 05:15 PM

I don't need luck.. what I needed yesterday was a damn liter for my heater

gprime27
01-17-2012, 05:17 PM
i'm going to rip up some trout in nic on Saturday / sunday this weekend. Everyone come say hi or join me. Red VW beetle biggest guy on the lake I'm sure :)