PDA

View Full Version : Saskatchewan lakes near cold lake?

pikehunter1989
12-07-2011, 05:37 PM
I have a week off at Christmas and might try to take advantage of it and head into saskatchewan for a couple days now that I have somewhere to stay in cold lake.
I'm looking for info on lakes within a 1 1/2 - 2 hr drive of cold lake. I love big pike but I think I'd rather chase some decent perch or walleye while I have the opportunity.. but the chance at decent pike would be nice too.
I was kind of thinking lac des isle but I've heard a guy can find himself on very thin ice there if you don't know where your going. (I'll likely be walking on aswell). So can someone suggest some lakes where a guy doesn't need to walk 5 miles to catch decent fish? Looking at google maps there's tons of lakes in the area but no clue whats worth trying and what's not.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

pikehunter1989
12-09-2011, 07:06 AM
Btt..
Also if anyone in that area wants to head out in the week over Christmas send me a PM. I have Tent, auger, heater, ect... Could possibly even car pool and split gas.

Here's a list of lakes im thinking about so far but have really no info on them..

Kimball lake
Rusty lake
Grieg lake
Matheson lake
Johnston lake
Humphry lake
Mudie lake
Deer lake
Sheasby lake
Bosquet lake

Like I said I have very little info on any of these lakes and for all I know could be nothing more than a slough. So any kind of info would be great.

liar
12-09-2011, 07:19 AM
i have never fished those lakes but have fished pearce lake a lot for lake trout and have caught splake at little rasberry lake , both in meadow lake park . all in summer but i am sure you could get them through the ice .

i would join you but have already commited to head to the mountains after christmass .

pikehunter1989
12-09-2011, 07:38 AM
i have never fished those lakes but have fished pearce lake a lot for lake trout and have caught splake at little rasberry lake , both in meadow lake park . all in summer but i am sure you could get them through the ice .

i would join you but have already commited to head to the mountains after christmass .

Thanks.
Yeah I'd really like to try for walleye and perch but some big pike are always fun too.

bigdeer91
12-09-2011, 07:52 AM
if you wont big pike head to waterhen.tawa cabins.fish out a bout 300 yards right from boat lonch.15 lbs plus.

pikehunter1989
12-09-2011, 08:00 AM
I would love to head there but it's like a 4 hr drive... Trying to keep it under 2 1/2 hours.

bigdeer91
12-09-2011, 08:08 AM
ok then you could give mistohay lake a try.theres big pike there to.fished it in the summer and got some big ones there.if you can find them theres wallys and perch in there to.

pikehunter1989
12-09-2011, 08:49 AM
ok then you could give mistohay lake a try.theres big pike there to.fished it in the summer and got some big ones there.if you can find them theres wallys and perch in there to.

Thanks. Yeah I like the sounds of mistohay as its only a hr and 1/2 drive.
I have read rusty also has some decent pike in it. I'd love a lake where you catch quite a few 3-4 lb pike with the chance at some 10lb + pike... Somthing that's hard to come by in this province it seems (other than Wabamun) lol.

fish farmer
12-09-2011, 09:25 AM
Head to Lac des Isles, big pike, big perch if you can find them, lots of little perch, walleye to if you can find them, which I havent in winter but have never put serious effort into it.

pikehunter1989
12-09-2011, 09:30 AM
Head to Lac des Isles, big pike, big perch if you can find them, lots of little perch, walleye to if you can find them, which I havent in winter but have never put serious effort into it.

I would head there but a little skeptical with how the ice can be out there. If I find someone who knows the lake a bit I'll probobly give it a try

nanuk-O-dah-Nort
12-09-2011, 09:46 AM
there is NO Better tasting fish than Pike through the ice

Good luck on your search!

bigdeer91
12-09-2011, 10:30 AM
i know Lac des Isles some what its been a few years but i now a couple places that are good.one is out from the boat lonch.the uthere is drive west of the store about 3 or 4 km.you will come to a fence line keep going till you can see the lake.if you look on the googl map its south of big head bay.the place look like a smaller lake with a lot of little islandsin it..
theres a sand bar there 5 foot and drops off to 20 plus foot.
not sure if you can still drive that way but its worth a try.

pikehunter1989
12-09-2011, 11:35 AM
i know Lac des Isles some what its been a few years but i now a couple places that are good.one is out from the boat lonch.the uthere is drive west of the store about 3 or 4 km.you will come to a fence line keep going till you can see the lake.if you look on the googl map its south of big head bay.the place look like a smaller lake with a lot of little islandsin it..
theres a sand bar there 5 foot and drops off to 20 plus foot.
not sure if you can still drive that way but its worth a try.

Thanks. I'll definatly keep that in mind.

topgun
12-09-2011, 09:07 PM
Mistohay and Waterhen are actually 30 mins apart, and if you goto mistohay at all in the winter watch the ice!

pikehunter1989
12-09-2011, 10:55 PM
Mistohay and Waterhen are actually 30 mins apart, and if you goto mistohay at all in the winter watch the ice!

Lots of springs in mistohay?

Ken07AOVette
12-09-2011, 11:26 PM
Pierce is real close, and has crazy amounts of fish

pikehunter1989
12-10-2011, 06:57 AM
Where is pierce lake? The only One I can find is like a 5 hr drive