PDA

View Full Version : where to purchase a bow

300 wsm
02-06-2008, 11:42 PM
gonna get a bow how is the service at jimbows in calgary i have heard good things about them and wher can i get lessons will trade lessons for beer if anyone is willing

grandslamer
02-07-2008, 12:05 AM
if your buying a bow from jimbows(exellent choice by the way)the owner jim who use to work for throphy book archery in spruce grove ..
he will teach you what u need to know and how to shoot usally a lesson is free with purchase and knowing him he will teach anyone who wants to learn for free

Chet
02-07-2008, 07:32 AM
Jim is a great guy and he has a real good shop. That's where I always go now.

Sakoman
02-07-2008, 09:11 AM
X3 for Jim he runs a great shop you will be happy you went.

nekred
02-07-2008, 09:13 AM
I know both shops in Calgary are good i have had good experiences with them.

Look at brands each store carries get what you want each stor has their specialty. For example if you want a Bowtech go see Jim, you buy the bow, accessories etc there and support him and he will help you.
he will advise you on accessories and he can also help you pick the ones that will give you best return and suit you.

The reason I mention JimBows is cause you asked spcifically about him. Both shops have excellent service.

When I am in Calgary I always stop in at Jim's for help because he knows his stuff. I also shoot a Bowtech. He is a wealth of information and he will help you. he is also a good businessman so if you support his business you will get return on your investment and vice versa!

Be a customer and you will find out what good customer service is about!

BlueNorther
02-07-2008, 01:53 PM

Look at brands each store carries get what you want each stor has their specialty. For example if you want a Bowtech go see Jim, you buy the bow, accessories etc there and support him and he will help you.
he will advise you on accessories and he can also help you pick the ones that will give you best return and suit you.

The reason I mention JimBows is cause you asked spcifically about him. Both shops have excellent service.

When I am in Calgary I always stop in at Jim's for help because he knows his stuff. I also shoot a Bowtech. He is a wealth of information and he will help you. he is also a good businessman so if you support his business you will get return on your investment and vice versa!

Couldn't have said it any better myself.I've been a customer at Jim's since he opened his first shop in Calgary.He's a wealth of information that he shares freely,just don't ask him where he hunts.

I bought my first bow at one of our big sporting goods store and was not satisfied with customer service.Someone pointed me to Jimbows and he took care of my problems and got me started in the right direction for archery hunting.

gramps73
02-07-2008, 06:07 PM
Got into bow hunting last year, went every where in town, Jim took the time to explain what to look for.
Jim Bows all the way
Gramps

300 wsm
02-07-2008, 06:48 PM
well thanx for the info i guess its official ill head in to jimbows on my birthday in march Thanx for the input

theduke
02-08-2008, 12:00 AM
does jim carry hoyt

johnnyringo
02-08-2008, 08:39 AM
He does have some used ones there...but no new bows. I'm sure he can get you one, but when I was discussing getting a new Hoyt he convinced me to look at the Bowtechs. I'd definately go there before going to the Archery center, his selection isn't as big but you'll definately get better service IMO. Lot's of bows to choose at the Archery center though. Before you buy shoot as many as you can, you'll get so much info on who's the best, fastest, etc. but you really need to shoot a bunch to make the decision. I'm currently in limbo on what to buy. Just don't rush it...

300 wsm
02-08-2008, 02:25 PM
so well the archery centre let me shoot all theese different types with me being a newbie

cooper
02-10-2008, 10:28 AM

Jimbows is the only place ill go for service or just to shoot the poop he is a good guy that will always make time for ya even if your not there to spend money.

johnnyringo
02-11-2008, 10:17 AM
300...they should let you try them all, you may have to get someone to help you as they don't usually ask if you are looking around. Tell them your story and see what happens. I'd definately check both places though and talk to Jimbo first. If you are new to the sport look at the Bowtech Tomkat package. Everything you will need for well under $1000. Good luck!

u_cant_rope_the_wind
03-20-2008, 07:28 PM
Jim at jimBows is probably the best bow tech in western canada,
if I have to get any one to work on my bow he,s the one ,
he,s done all my work on my bows for 20 years now

Islander
03-23-2008, 09:58 PM
I agree 100% on Jims great service. He knows both myself and the boy by name, and is fantastic at giving advice without critisism. We try to go there to shoot at least once a week, and even if particular products are more expensive there, I spend the money because he's a great guy. Calgary Archery Centre has a great selection, but every time I've been there, it seems like an elitist crowd that we don't fit into. Maybe its just me, but I prefer the mom-and-pop type service at Jimbows.

Cowboy Al
03-24-2008, 11:25 AM
I purchased my new Tomkat from Jim. Excellent service, great product, he had me shoot a half a dozen bows before zeroing in on the Tomkat. He answered all of my "newbie" questions without making me feel like a dope, nothing elitist about that place just good ole fashioned one on one quaility service.

hunter10
02-02-2009, 06:32 PM
nothing wrong with Jim, got my bow from him, just exellent, sets you up perfect.

Tofinofish
02-03-2009, 11:56 AM
Good info from these posts as I'm looking for a new package to get back into it after 14 years.
Bowtech seems to come up strong in most posts, so will look closely at these.
I have been recommended to look at Mathews first, but Mathews sure hasn't come up as often?
Too bad my Bow shop options are a bit limited on the coast....might be in Calgary yet this spring and will be heading to JimBows to check it out for sure.
Thanks for the info stream.

Jay
Tofinofish