PDA

View Full Version : SRD Surveys

WayneChristie
12-08-2011, 06:08 PM
I received this email today:
"Dear Fellow Hunter:

Alberta Sustainable Resource Development continues to improve our methods of collecting game harvest survey information. We are asking you to assist us by completing your 2011 hunting season big game, and game bird harvest information by using online web surveys.

Harvest information collected in this survey is an important component for managing game birds in Alberta. This game bird survey consists of a few short questions and should take 2-3 minutes to complete.

Alberta Sustainable Resource Development has commissioned IBM Global Business Services to conduct this survey on our behalf. Please be assured that all responses will be treated in confidence and individual harvest results will not be disclosed.

While participation is voluntary, your feedback would be extremely valuable. "

Now Im curious, do birds really bring in that much more revenue, or are they that much more important than Albertas fish? Why do we not get this survey for gamefish when we buy a licence? A very tired enquiring mind would like to know.

BeeGuy
12-08-2011, 06:19 PM
Birds are serious business, more difficult to manage, international migrants in many cases, and the fish-watching community is a mere fraction of the bird-watching community.

I'd be interested to know where all the funds for the project come from.

WayneChristie
12-08-2011, 06:25 PM
probably from the sales of fishing licenses, no wonder they can only afford to stock trout. :bad_boys_20:

BeeGuy
12-08-2011, 06:33 PM
Maybe,

What I was thinking was that it quite likely may be an NGO like Ducks Unlimited coughing up some cash.

These types of projects are really common in BC with partnerships between gov/ngo's and other conservation/community groups.

WayneChristie
12-09-2011, 08:21 PM
hmm, too bad there are no such things as fishing clubs and organizations in Alberta, would be nice to see a fishing survey of this sort :sign0161:

BeeGuy
12-09-2011, 09:27 PM
Alberta Fish and Game Association

Cows and Fish

Alberta Conservation Association

Trout Unlimited Canada

Walleye Unlimited of Alberta

These are off the top of my head, there are more...

Perhaps public engagement is lacking, or some torch passing would be beneficial.

I'm not terribly familiar with AB as of yet, but there must be piles of petro$$ and transalt***** that is destined for fisheries work.

Of interest, recently in BC the FWCP local offices are getting shut down by BC hydro, not gouda.

greylynx
12-09-2011, 10:07 PM
Of interest, recently in BC the FWCP local offices are getting shut down by BC hydro, not gouda.[/QUOTE]

Please explain more or give a source. Cool finding...:)

This sounds bizzare.:)

Thanks for the post.

BeeGuy
12-09-2011, 10:18 PM
Of interest, recently in BC the FWCP local offices are getting shut down by BC hydro, not gouda.

http://hqkootenay.com/news/sports/news/Local/11/12/2/BC-Wildlife-Federation-Wades-Into-FWCP-Issue

http://www.cope378.ca/sites/all/files/20111119_BCH-cuts-FWCP-CB%20closure_letter.pdf

WayneChristie
12-10-2011, 08:30 PM
Alberta Fish and Game Association

Cows and Fish

Alberta Conservation Association

Trout Unlimited Canada

Walleye Unlimited of Alberta

These are off the top of my head, there are more...

Perhaps public engagement is lacking, or some torch passing would be beneficial.

I'm not terribly familiar with AB as of yet, but there must be piles of petro$$ and transalt***** that is destined for fisheries work.

sorry, forgot the sarcastic symbol :bad_boys_20:

greylynx
12-10-2011, 10:17 PM
Wayne:

I don't think there is any fish management strategy in Alberta.

On a comparative basis Alberta is a really really dry place compared to B.C. or Saskatchewan.

Instead of trying to manage whatever water there is in Alberta for fish, the concern is for irrigation and the oil industry. Fish do not really fit into the equation.

Our fish stocks have collapsed.

It is a joke when you see three dozen people on a 6 acre pond trying to catch every released hatchery trout from last march that they can.

It is actually pathetic.

WayneChristie
12-10-2011, 10:33 PM
Wayne:

I don't think there is any fish management strategy in Alberta.

On a comparative basis Alberta is a really really dry place compared to B.C. or Saskatchewan.

Instead of trying to manage whatever water there is in Alberta for fish, the concern is for irrigation and the oil industry. Fish do not really fit into the equation.

Our fish stocks have collapsed.

It is a joke when you see three dozen people on a 6 acre pond trying to catch every released hatchery trout from last march that they can.

It is actually pathetic.

I agree, its scary to see the changes that have occurred since I was a kid, way back when. except for the creation of a few new reservoirs, and unfortunately other than the whitefish stocked for netting, not a lot has been done to help out the fisheries. stocking wee trout is merely a token gesture as far as Im concerned. I remember fishing the Highwood and in places you couldnt see the riverbottom through the schools of whitefish in there.