PDA

View Full Version : Full moon and eclipse

WayneChristie
12-09-2011, 08:14 PM
Opinions on the pike bite this weekend? Doesnt really make much difference, Im going to be on the ice anyways, just wondering what peoples experiences with these conditions have been.

WayneChristie
12-09-2011, 08:19 PM

retired2
12-09-2011, 08:43 PM
I can't say about fishing action but years ago when I was on P.Dept we new all the kooks would be active and the switchboard would light up like a Christmas tree....

WayneChristie
12-09-2011, 08:58 PM
I can't say about fishing action but years ago when I was on P.Dept we new all the kooks would be active and the switchboard would light up like a Christmas tree....

Like I said I will be on the ice tomorrow :sHa_shakeshout: Forgot we are having the chinook as well, fishing should be either awesome, or suck big time, guess we will see.

azn_rice_man
12-09-2011, 09:04 PM
Be on the lookout for werewolves.

WayneChristie
12-09-2011, 09:08 PM
Be on the lookout for werewolves.

if they bit on bait Id fish for them!

azn_rice_man
12-09-2011, 09:13 PM
Haha! Just don't get bitten by them!

Out of curiousity, are u hunting for burbs?

gl2
12-09-2011, 09:20 PM
I am with Dave on this one, i think fish become more active during a full moon phase. not to say i always have good luck on a full moon.....you still gotta find em. good luck WC, let us know how it goes.

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/factsoffishing/details/840/1375928/6/collection

Freedom55
12-10-2011, 08:39 AM
The best time to fish for walleye, as in the best time to catch the big ones, is at night. During the three nights prior to, the three nights after and especially the night of the full moon in September, October and November the success rate for monster walleyes goes up significantly.

Walleye are typically nocturnal in their feeding habits owing to their special eyes and the increased light from the moon makes their vision that much more keen.

This is the only relationship between the full moon, or any moon phase in general, and increased luck at angling that I have been able to determine in my years of experience. Rather, I see more of a correlation with barometric pressure changes to fishing days and, personally, select dates for trips based on studies of the weather maps and systems. Moon based charts don't hold any water for me.

So next fall, get a couple of your friends together, and this is not the easiest style of fishing going, and work out the details of fishing until midnight or later. You will be rewarded in the most fantastic way. Bring a boat!

Free

dodger
12-10-2011, 09:53 AM
Opinions on the pike bite this weekend? Doesnt really make much difference, Im going to be on the ice anyways, just wondering what peoples experiences with these conditions have been.

So did the Pike bite your full moon ??????? :bad_boys_20:

Dodger.

Warren77
12-10-2011, 10:36 AM
I went out yesterday and the fishing wasnt very good. In 7 hours got 20 flags and 6 fish. That was between 2 of us. Never had a flag go off until noon. The fish were biting very lightly. I have a question.... When i was on the ice yesterday the lake was very loud... Almost like it was trying to make its own beat to a rave song... People who are reading this are probably saying wtf???? But every 20 seconds the ice on wabamun would make crazy sounds that ive never heard.... Could these sounds effect fishing??? Sure seemed like it....

anthony5
12-10-2011, 10:47 AM
Wayne, full moon don't mean diddly unless it's pointed at someone(dodger). But it is a lot of fun going from hole to hole jigging, the place is lit up on a crystal clear night with a full moon up there. If your fishin in the right spot it's action packed and you don't needs lights. Can get a little spooky when the ice starts thundering under your setup, cause the sound carries for miles.:confused:

anthony5
12-10-2011, 10:55 AM
Warren,noisy ice is usually a good thing, good ice.:sHa_shakeshout: Been on some very good feeding frenzy's when the ice sounds like it's gonna pile up in front of you. Can be poor also but don't think I can blame it on new ice noise,just poor setup:angry3:

pikester
12-10-2011, 12:01 PM
In the last 2 ice seasons I have been totally skunked 3 times pike fishing; 2 of those times was during the day on a full moon so I do not have a good opinion of full moons!

Gust
12-10-2011, 12:10 PM
when an eclipse happens does a werewolf revert to a guy again and why are werewolves only dudes??? I guess because gals are really nasty on or off a moon cycle anyways.

as for sound, I'm not sure if they hold them anymore but the bite would get really good at ghost lake when the motorcycle ice racers were doing their laps.

the eclipse is at 3:45??? well you could see what happens then,,, hey wayne? at nightfall, can you see much on your camera, is it a static aperature, are their settings? moon or no moon? serious question.
And how far down can you lower your camera? and does yours show temp?

kinwahkly
12-10-2011, 12:11 PM
When there is noise its a good thing, ice forming under you, ice expands so thats the noise.

Warren77
12-10-2011, 05:15 PM
Warren,noisy ice is usually a good thing, good ice.:sHa_shakeshout: Been on some very good feeding frenzy's when the ice sounds like it's gonna pile up in front of you. Can be poor also but don't think I can blame it on new ice noise,just poor setup:angry3:

It's the same set up i've been using for 25 years so it can't be that. Fished the same spot for the last 10 years. The noises were just different in alot of ways. It's obviously the ice forming but sounded like music every 20 seconds. Any who, no biggie.

Warren77
12-10-2011, 05:17 PM
I just wanted to know if the loud bangs and other noises would scare the fish etc or stop the bite

anthony5
12-10-2011, 07:56 PM
Should never be an issue:sHa_shakeshout: Try fishing Badger Lake during the Derby, fish up to 30lbs come out of that lake while the circus is going on for 3 days, up to 500 tickets sold don't seem to bother the fish:angry3:

WayneChristie
12-10-2011, 08:33 PM
I just wanted to know if the loud bangs and other noises would scare the fish etc or stop the bite
when the pike bite slows down sometimes I drill a few holes with the gas auger, seems to draw them in a lot of times.

anthony5
12-10-2011, 08:48 PM
Wayne, seems like you done this before, fishin slows down when out on cold windy days, get in the truck, fire it up to get warm and have a beverage, say to #1 son, do our best fishing in the truck anyway, and then the fishin picks up:sHa_shakeshout:

WayneChristie
12-10-2011, 08:56 PM
Wayne, seems like you done this before, fishin slows down when out on cold windy days, get in the truck, fire it up to get warm and have a beverage, say to #1 son, do our best fishing in the truck anyway, and then the fishin picks up:sHa_shakeshout:

Lots of truck fishing weather down here. I usually drill a hole on each side of the truck, drop my bait and let the wind do the jigging. plus a hole out front for the fish camera, so I can stay warm and toasty while watching them down below the ice, beats any show on tv for me|!:sHa_shakeshout: ice is a little thin for that so far, but it wont be long.

anthony5
12-10-2011, 09:18 PM
Just commenting on how a little noise will pick up the bite, not interested in getting large live pike in my truck:snapoutofit:

chriscosta
12-11-2011, 01:56 PM
I definitely agree drilling holes gets those curious pike interested works all the time and the real reason why the full moon affects fishing cause the fish are able to eat all night long so come sun up the bite is over

WayneChristie
12-11-2011, 08:30 PM
yah, it was definitely slower today, but hey, its still fishing! :sHa_shakeshout: