PDA

View Full Version : drill attachments for ice anchors

WayneChristie
12-10-2011, 11:16 PM
anyone made their own? would sure come in handy on windy days, and any day I guess. dont see any on the store websites

outandabout
12-11-2011, 12:20 AM
Sorry Wayne...just re-read the post..."ice ANCHORS"...NOT augers...:sign0161:

nightcrawler
12-11-2011, 12:37 AM
Hey Wayne. Bass pro sells them for about ten bucks. they work for the T type and the loop type.
http://www.basspro.com/HT-Enterprises-Ice-Anchor-Power-Drill-Installation-Tool/product/10228949/60921

I do not how well they work though.

Geezle
12-11-2011, 06:10 AM
I just use a regular wood bit and drill a pilot hole for the anchor.

I've also started using my summer rod holders...the kind that sticks in the ground, for my pike fishing. I drill a hole down in the ice again with the drill, and then just plop the holder in there. No chance of a rod going down the hole this year! :cool:

WayneChristie
12-11-2011, 06:59 AM
Thanks nightcrawler, thats exactly what Im looking for. Geezle I use the rod locker holder, and I always put an ice anchor in each one too, Im not losing my rods for sure. most of the lakes I fish have some very big fish in them and I dont want to hear the person across the lake saying, "hey there goes a pike dragging a rod." and Ive heard that before :sHa_sarcasticlol:

GummyMonster
12-11-2011, 07:47 AM
Looks like a person could easily make one from a scrap of channel iron and a wore out allen key, or bar stock. Have to give it a try.
Thank's for the idea,
Ken

skiwili
12-11-2011, 08:18 AM
I got one from BassPro but I havent used yet. it looks well designed

HunterDave
12-11-2011, 12:10 PM
I bought one in Walmart a few weeks ago. They also have them in Can Tire but I got tired of waiting for them to be taken from the back and put out. The one that I bought was a little big for the hole in the auger so I had to file it down a bit. Also, the hole for the pin didn't line up so I put a cotter pin in as opposed to the screw in pin that was on the auger. I tried it last week for the first time and it was really hard on my drill batteries. Two batteries on my 18v Makita for one 6" hole 1 foot thick. Someone was nice enough to finish my second hole with a power auger. So far it's not working out well for me but I'm going to charge my batteries and give it another try but I'm going to bring the top part of my hand auger with me the next time.

Gust
12-11-2011, 12:15 PM
I bought one in Walmart a few weeks ago. They also have them in Can Tire but I got tired of waiting for them to be taken from the back and put out. The one that I bought was a little big for the hole in the auger so I had to file it down a bit. Also, the hole for the pin didn't line up so I put a cotter pin in as opposed to the screw in pin that was on the auger. I tried it last week for the first time and it was really hard on my drill batteries. Two batteries on my 18v Makita for one 6" hole 1 foot thick. Someone was nice enough to finish my second hole with a power auger. So far it's not working out well for me but I'm going to charge my batteries and give it another try but I'm going to bring the top part of my hand auger with me the next time.

Did you true your blades? try changing the pitch of your blades by getting some shims under them. Were your blades grabbing or skipping?

HunterDave
12-11-2011, 12:44 PM
Did you true your blades? try changing the pitch of your blades by getting some shims under them. Were your blades grabbing or skipping?

Whoops..........the thread is about ice anchors and not ice augers. :sign0161: I'll re-post on on an old thread that I started.

Kokanee9
12-11-2011, 03:08 PM
I just use a regular wood bit and drill a pilot hole for the anchor.

I agree!

WayneChristie
12-11-2011, 08:27 PM
I tried the pilot hole thing last winter, even cut the head off one of my anchors and used it to drill a pilot hole, but the you still have to control the flying tent, the drill, and then grab an anchor and screw it into the hole. I think the one that just grabs the anchor and drills it straight in is the best option for fishing in hurricane force winds, not that we ever get any of those around here! :scared0015:

Willowtrail
12-11-2011, 09:17 PM
I picked up a bunch of these and use them when needed. I attach on the windy side to the hub, prevents them from blowing in. I carry enough toys out on the ice and don't want to add a drill as well. I already have the auger so these are great.

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x325/willowtrail/Fishing/IMG-20110325-00024.jpg

Commander B
12-11-2011, 09:26 PM
No drill required . A little pricey, but it truly is one handed operation.

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Climbing/SnowIceHardware/IceProtection/PRD~4018-379/black-diamond-turbo-ice-screw.jsp

B.

Geezle
12-12-2011, 07:58 AM
I tried the pilot hole thing last winter, even cut the head off one of my anchors and used it to drill a pilot hole, but the you still have to control the flying tent, the drill, and then grab an anchor and screw it into the hole. I think the one that just grabs the anchor and drills it straight in is the best option for fishing in hurricane force winds, not that we ever get any of those around here! :scared0015:

When I'm setting up in crazy wind I'll start off by putting an anchor in the ice, and then attaching a strap to it. Then as soon as I have the first side of my tent popped open, I'll quickly hook it to the strap. Pull open the other sides, and peg them down as needed. I managed to get my tent set up a little over a week ago when we had the 90km/h winds here.

latenite
12-28-2011, 11:20 AM
I have only see the online at BPS, 10 bucks.here's the link
http://www.basspro.com/HT-Enterprises-Ice-Anchor-Power-Drill-Installation-Tool/product/10228949/60921
me want one badly.

WayneChristie
12-28-2011, 06:38 PM
I have only see the online at BPS, 10 bucks.here's the link
me want one badly.

friend brought me one of those, I told him to give it a try since he had a brand new tent to try out as well, dont know how many anchors he got in then it broke. doing them by hand again :sHa_sarcasticlol:

ak-71
12-29-2011, 09:14 AM
Too bad. Last year I just pre-drilled the holes with a regular bit. I put the 1st ancor, then tent. When ice gets cold I find it really hard to do everything by hand, not this winter though :(

latenite
12-29-2011, 09:52 AM
Clam has one as well, see a video on you tube, it looks to be made of metal. to bad the HT one was crap. i think they are a great idea, saves time for sure.

latenite
12-29-2011, 10:51 AM
Went to Clams website, the tool in the video must be an old model, because the one they sow looks like HT's.