PDA

View Full Version : Ice fishing reels

Geezle
12-11-2011, 07:52 PM
Why does it seem like pretty much all 'ice fishing' reels seem to be so horribly cheaply made?

I've played with some of the ones that come as part of a combo and they all feel plasticy and cheap, with questionable drag systems.

I guess if a person was strictly going for little stocked trout, or perch they would probably do the trick, but I don't think I'd feel comfortable fighting a pike, or even a good sized walleye on one.

If you're going for larger fish like pike and already have decent 'summer' reels, do yourself a favor and slap that reel on your ice rod...you'll be happy that you did.

WayneChristie
12-11-2011, 08:18 PM
I have been using my baitcasters for the ice, and have nothing but trouble with them, so today I put on a big mooching reel I had laying around. Has a clicker on it, I dropped a big herring down the hole, and was over talking to the guy fishing next to me. We were talking away, and I was hearing this noise, sounded like a grouse or something clucking, and went on for quite a while, finally the light went on in my melon, hey thats my reel! run like crazy back to the tent, and the lines still peeling off, but I missed the fish :angry3: got another mooching reel Im going to use on my second rod from now on, they are totally simple and still have a decent drag, so no more loosening drags, slipping magnets, or whatever.

npauls
12-11-2011, 08:56 PM
I hear you on that one.

When I can afford it I will be buying the smallest sized open water reels that I can and using them on my ice rods.

The only ice reels I have liked so far are the frabil bro series ones and they aren't all that great compared to my open water reels.

buckmaster
12-11-2011, 10:18 PM
Jay , the fishin hole has shimano syncopate 1000fg on sale.I bought one to try this ice season...

latenite
12-11-2011, 10:26 PM
i got a zebco ice rod and reel combo (orange colour) and so far its worked ok. caught a few small pike with it and seemed to hold up. i got some big sticks at p.a., they are meaty and only 5 bucks so if you bust'em, no big deal.

anthony5
12-11-2011, 11:03 PM
The mooching reel sounds interesting. Been using 30-50lb coated braid for tip ups so 20lb plus pike don't cut the line at the bottom of the hole. What can you guys suggest for mooching reels or spinning reels?

Geezle
12-12-2011, 07:53 AM
Jay , the fishin hole has shimano syncopate 1000fg on sale.I bought one to try this ice season...

For the small stuff (trout, perch) I've already got a couple small Diawa reels that I really like. Nothing fancy, but a couple steps above the average 'ice' reels I've been seeing.

For the big girls (pike) I've got a couple heavier rods set up...one with the baitcaster from my sturgeon setup, and a couple others with some good 4000 size reels that I use in the summer with heavy line on 'em.

bunnyhunter
12-12-2011, 07:57 AM
I had a lot of reels, ice ones included that froze up ( cold gear grease) when it got really cold. then I found the Tundra-works great even in -25! and not pricey. cant recall who makes them but I snapped up a couple when they were on sale at the Fishn hole. use them for Pike, walleye, perch.