PDA

View Full Version : Damaged Rod

Ace
02-08-2008, 09:53 AM
On my favorite fishing rod, I lost the ceramic insert from one of my guides at the end of last season. It’s from the largest eye closest to the reel.

Is there anyway to replace the ceramic insert?

Thanks
Ace

packhuntr
02-08-2008, 10:08 AM
Im not sure...What if you tried unwrapping the thread that secures it to the blank. I dont know how youd remove the glue though. You might be able to install a new eyelet off an old ruined rod?? Might not be the nice ceramic eye, but should keep an old favorite alive and kicking.

keep a strain on er.

Ace
02-08-2008, 10:10 AM
Just to clarify. The guide is still on my rod, just the ceramic insert broke. So, now my line runs alon the metal eye instead of the less abrasive ceramic.

Thanks
Ace

ABwhitetail
02-08-2008, 10:11 AM
On my favorite fishing rod, I lost the ceramic insert from one of my guides at the end of last season. It’s from the largest eye closest to the reel.

Is there anyway to replace the ceramic insert?

Thanks
Ace

If you still have the insert, you could pop it back in and just add a tiny bit of glue....a very small amount, something that dries clear....the inserts are usually grooved...some type of "super" glue would work.....I use to like ZAP A GAP

But if you lost the insert, you have to replace the whole guide....

Guide's are attached to the rod with thread, and then epoxy put over top....you can cut the guide off and buy a new one to replace it, any of the fishing stores with rod building supplies should be able to help you with the materials....

If this is something yuou don't want to do yourself....these same stores should be able to put you in contact with a local rod builder who can make the repair for you....

ABwhitetail
02-08-2008, 10:15 AM
I dont know how youd remove the glue though.
keep a strain on er.

You can use a sharp razor....gently, cannot touch the blank....cut vertically along the thread....I would cut on top of the guide foot so you cannot accidentally hit the blank.....then very carefully score the Glue at the top and bottom of the reaches of the thread, then simply peel off the thread and the guide will come off....

When new epoxy is applied, it will cover up the edges of where the glue was scored to be removed....

It is a bit of an art....if you want it to look pretty, take it to a rod builder, if you want it to function....then who cares if it ends up fugly....

gonefishin
02-08-2008, 10:39 AM
There's a guy on the south-side in Edmonton, "The Reel Doctor", who can fix it/ replace it for you.

Ace
02-08-2008, 11:40 AM
10-4 on The Reel Doctor.

I've used him to buy a new handle for my reel when my 7 year old newphew dropeed it down an ice fishing hole last year...d'oh. To this day he says he didn't do it..lol.

I'd be much more comfortable getting somebody to peform this surgery on my rod than doing it myself.

Thanks for the help.

Ace

Walleyes
02-08-2008, 11:46 AM
Ahh come on Ace thats the best thing that can happen is when our gear wears out !!! we have an excuse to get new stuff :evilgrin: :evilgrin: