PDA

View Full Version : Folding ramp for loading ice fishing sleds?

npauls
12-12-2011, 03:23 AM
Anyone have a folding ramp or an idea on how to make a cheap little folding ramp to use for loading and unloading an ice fishing sled into the back of a pickup?

I was thinking something that it could hook to the bottom side of the tailgate where it meets the bed of the truck and has 3-4 pieces that would fold out as a ramp.

I can't pick my gear up for probably this whole season at least but would still like to get out whenever possible so I need to get something figured out and built pretty soon.

Joe Fehr
12-12-2011, 03:59 AM
Easiest would be to pick up a set of tri-fold quad ramps. Light and quick to move and attach to the truck. Peavy Mart usually has them for about $150 if I remember correct.

Kim473
12-12-2011, 07:04 AM
How much does the sled weigh? How wide and long? Would be easy to make something from 3/4" plywood and hinges if it does not weigh too much. Or even 2 X 4s and hinges. Check kijji, i,v seen them on there before or canadian tire. Try unloading the auger out of it beforehand then maybe its not that heavy.

FishingFrenzy
12-12-2011, 09:38 AM
I would just take a chunk of 3/4in plywood as long as the truck bed, reinforce the bottom with a couple 2X4s and your set.

Simple and cheap.

Heck maybe if your sled isnt to wide you could just use a 2X12

Jiffy10
12-12-2011, 10:48 AM
My Hut ... when folded down is 4 x 8 and 2 ft high.

it weighs about 250 I would guess. I can lift one end...
stuff a short shovel under it. Back the truck under it and
then lift the other end up and slide it in.

unless I hooked up some winch ... I'm pretty sure I couldnt
slide it any easier...

I think I can do that for a couple of more years ...
haha... getting old

npauls
12-12-2011, 01:20 PM
My sleds aren't all that heavy but just having back surgery makes it so I can't really lift anything over say about 10lbs or so.

I don't even think I will be using my gas auger this season. I will have to use my drill auger and when I am out with buddies they can use my gas one.

I think I might just try and build something out of 2x4's and see where it goes from there.

I can't afford anything prebuilt and don't want to make something expensive because I will be leaving it in the truck all winter.

Rumtan
12-12-2011, 04:26 PM
What about a come-along winch and a sheet of plywood? I would get a 2x4 and attach the come-along to it and stick it in the front hole of the truck box, save you lifting and also doubles as a tie-down lol.

npauls
12-12-2011, 04:31 PM
What about a come-along winch and a sheet of plywood? I would get a 2x4 and attach the come-along to it and stick it in the front hole of the truck box, save you lifting and also doubles as a tie-down lol.

Ya maybe I will look into that. I was thinking maybe a quad winch mounted to some sort or solid wood that is bolted across the front of the box to the tie down hooks and a piece of plywood for a ramp.

Keep the ideas coming. Maybe it will help out someone else that wants to get out but has a physical disability and can't load and unload their gear either.

Daceminnow
12-13-2011, 12:46 PM
Anyone have a folding ramp or an idea on how to make a cheap little folding ramp to use for loading and unloading an ice fishing sled into the back of a pickup?

I was thinking something that it could hook to the bottom side of the tailgate where it meets the bed of the truck and has 3-4 pieces that would fold out as a ramp.

I can't pick my gear up for probably this whole season at least but would still like to get out whenever possible so I need to get something figured out and built pretty soon.

i can get you a chuck or two of engineered floor joist if you want nate. they would work, and wouldn't cost you anything. you would have to p/u. maybe when your up for the FFE next month. let me know.

Dace

npauls
12-13-2011, 02:23 PM
i can get you a chuck or two of engineered floor joist if you want nate. they would work, and wouldn't cost you anything. you would have to p/u. maybe when your up for the FFE next month. let me know.

Dace

Will do Dace,

I am not to sure if I will even be at the FFE. There has been no word to me yet about it. I am going to try and make it up for one of the days anyways even if I am not at the booth but that is never a sure thing either.

Thanks